Mario Tennis Sequel Discussion Thread

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
All right, before anybody asks, no, nothing has been confirmed. I just wanted to make a Mario Tennis thread where we discuss the possibilities of a sequel. It's been 7 years since Mario Power Tennis was released and yet, there's not sequel for it on the Wii. I don't know about you guys, but that makes me dissapointed. Of course, on the other hand, Mario Power Tennis was almost perfect so I guess it would be hard to make a sequel that's better. All I can really think of is more playable characters. So what 2 cents would you guys like to toss in? :posh:

Mario should have better reach, and there should be that blue Mario on the stand again.

BabymarioTennisGBC.png

This guy playable again.

BabyLuigi1-CSS2-MSS.png

And this guy playable

Toad and Toadette should return.

There should also be an awesome opening.

I thought of another thing that could make a sequel better; being able to view trophy cutscenes (or any cutscenes) without having to go through tournament mode again.

That would be a nice addition.

Mario's Defensive return should always succeed.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi would look epic when they miss the ball and start glowing yellow when they're all sad

I thought of power shots for Baby Mario.

Offensive: Baby Mario uses the Mix Flower to set the tennis ball on fire and if the opponent hits the ball, they'll be on fire and be unable to move for a few seconds.

Defensive: Baby Mario uses a Copy Flower and an army of Baby Marios appear on his side of the court and whichever Baby Mario is closest to the tennis ball will hit it back. Afterwards, all the Baby Mario clones disappear except for the one who returned it.

I got a good idea. Why can't two players play co-op in Tournament mode? You can't do this in Mario Power Tennis, and this has annoyed us.

Co-op tournament mode is brilliant. Although personally, I wouldn't benefit since I play by myself anyway and it could have some cooperation problems.

Offensive: Baby Luigi spins his racket like a fan and blasts it out. Anyone who hits it starts spinning in a tornado
Defensive: Baby Luigi summons a Chain Chomp to return the ball

Aqua Soul said:
Co-op tournament mode is brilliant. Although personally, I wouldn't benefit since I play by myself anyway and it could have some cooperation problems.

Mario Power Tennis had Doubles Tournament, but for some reason, only the CPU can be your partner. Believe me, the AI are morons.

Anyone who disapproves my idea of Baby Luigi turning into a rotor fan, explain when did Waluigi get the power to sweem through a swimming pool that spawns out of nowhere?

Ornithologist Mario said:
Aqua Soul said:

Mario Power Tennis had Doubles Tournament, but for some reason, only the CPU can be your partner. Believe me, the AI are morons.

They can't be any more moronic than the people I've played with. At least the AI won't get themselves penalized (i.e. if your opponent is serving and you're the one who's supposed to return it, they won't get int he way and return it for you, and if they're the ones who are supposed to return it, they'll wait for the ball to bounce before returning it.) That makes me think the AI are more reliable than playing with other people.

I'm a reliable partner, you know

The AI use their defensive shot when the ball is right in front of your face. They also lunge for the ball when you least need their help.

Here's a roster I made up

All-Around
Mario
Luigi
Toad
Toadette
Birdo

Technique
Peach
Daisy
Shy Guy
Paratroopa
Baby Luigi (yeah, I want him have good control)

Speed
Yoshi
Koopa Troopa
Diddy Kong
Baby Mario

Power
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Wario

Defense
Waluigi
Wiggler
Funky Kong

Tricky
Boo
Bowser Jr.
Fly Guy
Dixie Kong

Feel free to add or modify

All-Around
Mario
Luigi
Toad
Toadette
Birdo

Technique
Peach
Daisy
Shy Guy
Paratroopa

Speed
Yoshi
Koopa Troopa
Diddy Kong
Baby Mario

Power
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Wario

Defense
Waluigi
Wiggler
Funky Kong
Rosalina

Tricky
Boo
Bowser Jr.
Fly Guy
Dixie Kong

All-Around
Mario
Luigi
Toad
Toadette
Kremling

Technique
Peach
Daisy
Shy Guy
Paratroopa

Speed
Yoshi
Koopa Troopa
Diddy Kong
Baby Mario

Power
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Wario
King K. Rool

Defense
Waluigi
Wiggler
Funky Kong
Rosalina

Tricky
Boo
Bowser Jr.
Fly Guy
Dixie Kong
Dry Bones

I got rid of Birdo and added a Kremling, King K. Rool and Dry Bones. If we could come up with power shots for the newcomers, this would be a satisfying roster.

The left-handed option was nice. If they ever make a sequel, they should implement this again.

Did you ever play Mario Power Tennis? When the CPU has a prepared power shot, but misses a point, the CPU player starts glowing yellow.

I havent played any Mario Tennises, but if they make a new one, I hope they don't include Final Fantasy characters. I want some more cool cutscenes and bloopers and Baby Luigi and Bowser Jr. playable.

Back