Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delelelele Whoop said:
There's a section about rotating avatars, and how to add them, but there isn't anything saying what they are.

But I'm pretty certain that anyone who's interested in adding them will already know what they are before hand, and if they aren't interested in adding them, chances are they won't know or care what they are.

Then again, I guess someone would be curious enough to wonder what they are after over hearing other users talking about it, so it's not a bad idea. Either way, it's not that big of a deal, so we might as well add it anyway.

Well, if you read the description closely, it says "avatars" in there.

Baby Luigi said:
Delelelele Whoop said:
There's a section about rotating avatars, and how to add them, but there isn't anything saying what they are.

But I'm pretty certain that anyone who's interested in adding them will already know what they are before hand, and if they aren't interested in adding them, chances are they won't know or care what they are.

Then again, I guess someone would be curious enough to wonder what they are after over hearing other users talking about it, so it's not a bad idea. Either way, it's not that big of a deal, so we might as well add it anyway.

Well, if you read the description closely, it says "avatars" in there.
Yeah, of course it does. Rotating avatars kind of gave me the hint that it has something to do with avatars. But some people don't know what rotating avatars are. That's why LTQ suggested the description.

Create a post merge feature

I have an idea, add a post merge feature to prevent double posting. Basically, with a post merge feature, if a person tries to post a reply after they have already posted a reply or the thread itself, and nobody has replied after them, it will merge with the other post and separate them with "==Post Merge=="

With no post merge feature...

@Somebody

Blahblahblahblah

@Someoneelse

Yackyackyackyack

you can see that they are two separate posts

However, with a post merge feature

@Somebody

Blahblahblahblah

- - - Post Merge - - -

@Someoneelse

Yackyackyackyack

it puts both posts together automatically because nobody has replied after their previous post yet.

Seems redundant, especially if this feature won't allow the bump of a thread because the post is basically being edited (bumping has its uses, such as attracting more input in the Wiki Collaborations board).

I have been on a forum that does this and I believe it does bump a thread. Also, new users (especially ones that are no used to forums) have a tendency to accidentally double or even triple post. In addition, I have had times when I accidentally double post instead of editing my post.

Also, this feature will help mods. They would no longer have to get on users for double or mass posting.

But if it bumps the thread, what's the point of the feature? It essentially makes a new post, it's just harder to differentiate it.

Nabber said:
But if it bumps the thread, what's the point of the feature?

It prevents double and mass posting, which is against the rules.

No double posting within 3 days. If somebody hasn't posted after your post and you need to add something, simply edit your existing post. This only applies if it wasn't because of lag. Double-posting is, however, allowed when adding to project or news threads (but try to edit instead if possible).

However, they could add a feature where it won't do this after three days. Also, they could add a feature that prevents the post merge if they need to make a completely new post.

So you're essentially just trying to find a workaround to the rule. That ruins the point of the rule in the first place.

The rule is there to prevent spam and to prevent unnecessary thread bumps. Your post merge idea does not fix that idea.

Nabber said:
So you're essentially just trying to find a workaround to the rule. That ruins the point of the rule in the first place.

The rule is there to prevent spam and to prevent unnecessary thread bumps. Your post merge idea does not fix that idea.

Oh, I never knew that. Well, it can still prevent accidental double/mass posting. Like this...

http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=23917.msg1045901#msg1045901

Considering that users have the ability to freely delete their own posts, it's as simple as removing your double post and editing it in yourself. There's really no need to go about adding an entirely new feature to the site.

Superchao said:
Considering that users have the ability to freely delete their own posts, it's as simple as removing your double post and editing it in yourself. There's really no need to go about adding an entirely new feature to the site.

but wouldn't it be more convenient to have it automatically done for you?

That's basically the purpose of technology

I've also been on a site that merges posts and I find it a bit annoying.

Merging posts may not be the best option.

1. If somebody posts after themselves on a totally unrelated subject, I think that'd be weird. That's just me though.
2. If you can edit your posts, there's really no need to go to the trouble of adding this.

Yes, technology is supposed to make our lives easier, but simply clicking edit isn't that hard.

Colress said:
Yes, technology is supposed to make our lives easier, but simply clicking edit isn't that hard.

Or how about reading before posting first?

I suggested that because some other forums actually allow double posting

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, I've been on forums where they allow double posting. Usually people just use that feature to bump their threads over and over again and/or get a ton of posts. I like the editing system we have here more.

Colress said:
Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, I've been on forums where they allow double posting. Usually people just use that feature to bump their threads over and over again and/or get a ton of posts. I like the editing system we have here more.

we technically have a system that enables users to get a ton of posts with little construction

If you guys have no objection to it, then would it be possible to organise a Kris Kringle within the forum? And if so, would you guys want to organise it or are you happy to leave it to a regular member to organise. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back