Fair Roster for futuRe Mario spinoffs? ☆Table update to Island Tour

Re: Fair Roster for futue Mario spinoffs?

You gotta remember there is a hierarchy of character worth believe it or not.

You can't put in any other Kongs before you put in Donkey and Diddy. They are considered the most important and must be in before you can start considering other Kongs.

There are different tiers for Mario characters that means you can't include characters from lower tiers. Top tier characters are characters that are almost always in Mario spinoff

Top Tier (you can't put in middle or bottom tier characters before these ones)
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Bowser

Middle Tier (you can't put in bottom tier characters before these ones)
Toad
Daisy
Birdo
Waluigi
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr.

Bottom Tier (almost any other Mario character left)
Toadette
Petey
ect.

This is based on observations in Mario spinoffs. These are the characters that get top billing over others. However some characters get bumped up and down over time.

Re: Fair Roster for futue Mario spinoffs? ☆Table update

Not to be opinionative, but from what I recall Toad is always a high tier/major recurring character. He is always usually a playable character, and if not he is a major host. He is rarely excluded in the Mario games (hence, the big 8 Mario characters). I don't know about Daisy and Waluigi, but it is just sad to see him ranked with characters such as Birdo, Bowser Jr. and Diddy.

Koopaul said:

You can't put in any other Kongs before you put in Donkey and Diddy. They are considered the most important and must be in before you can start considering other Kongs.

There are different tiers for Mario characters that means you can't include characters from lower tiers. Top tier characters are characters that are almost always in Mario spinoff

Top Tier (you can't put in middle or bottom tier characters before these ones)
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Bowser

Middle Tier (you can't put in bottom tier characters before these ones)
Toad
Daisy
Birdo
Waluigi
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr.

Bottom Tier (almost any other Mario character left)
Toadette
Petey
ect.

This is based on observations in Mario spinoffs. These are the characters that get top billing over others. However some characters get bumped up and down over time.
I feel like Toad should be top tier. He's part of "The Big 8", after all.

I guess you're right but he's not always playable like those others. He also isn't a captain in the baseball games.

But it's not like it is much different. Both Wario and Donkey Kong were absent in Super Mario Kart (the first just made his introduction a few years earlier; however, Donkey Kong Jr. was in the roster instead of Donkey Kong). Also Donkey Kong has yet to be seen making a returning appearance as a playable character since Mario Party 4. Toad has appeared as a regular playable after being a host in the first four games, and was even important enough for Nintendo to use as one of the four promotional characters (Toad, Mario, Peach, and Yoshi) in the artwork for the upcoming Mario Party 9 (he must be important if Nintendo put him in a group artwork like this). Also not to mention the Mario vs Donkey Kong franchise. We have playable forms of Mario, Toad, Peach, and DK, but not of Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser, and Wario. What I'm trying to say is that Toad is indeed one of those characters that the fans naturally expect for Nintendo to put in their rosters for the different Mario games.

In the Mario Baseball games, Toad is not a captain. Regardless, he is still playable and presumes more importance in various modes such as the story mode in comparison to characters like Birdo. Notice that Toad is probably the only team member who was given so much emphasis in the intro and ending cutscenes of the Mario Baseball game. I think his team player status is related to him being Peach's loyal servant who stands by her side at all times.

Additionally, Toad is even one of the few characters to be made playable in mainstream Mario games as well (SMB 2 and NSMB Wii in terms of two Toads). Mario [all], Luigi [all but two], Peach [one], Toad(s) [two], Yoshi(s) [three-rideable, one-playable] Wario [one] were playable in the mainstream Mario games while Bowser presumed his role as the main antagonist. DK seems to have branched off more into his own series aside from the Mario spin-off titles; however, he still lives as the main antagonist and as a playable character (his mini form) in the Mario vs DK series.

I like the new table but please no candy until the biggest roster comes out.

I'd honestly put Donkey Kong and Toad lower than top tier. Maybe as special cases who are between mid and top tier.

I'd also put Daisy and Waluigi as top tier, given how Nintendo tends to put them in every Mario sport/party spinoff ever (since after their sport/party introductions, 'course).

Here's my list:

TOP TIER:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Toad
Wario
DK

MIDDLE TIER:
Daisy
Waluigi
Bowser, Jr.
Birdo
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi

LOWER TIER:
Toadette
Lubba
Petey
Rosalina
Babies other than Mario and Luigi
Dry Bowser

BOTTOM TIER:
Lakitu
Koopa Troopa
Dry Bones
Toads other than Toad
Yoshies other than Yoshi
PM Partners/Pixls

Dry Bowser on a higher tier than Dry Bones...

DOES NO COMPUTE!!!!! :eek:

I'd also put Daisy and Waluigi as top tier, given how Nintendo tends to put them in every Mario sport/party spinoff ever (since after their sport/party introductions, 'course).

How would Daisy and Waluigi be top tier while Donkey Kong and Toad are not. Sure, they are recurring, but they are generally in a lower position in comparison to either Donkey Kong or Toad. Daisy and Waluigi are there to give Peach and Wario their own partners; therefore, they automatically receive this status as being important as they appear as much as their partners. Donkey Kong and Toad are generally characters who are revealed much more earlier and promoted much more than Daisy and Waluigi. Additionally, they are stand-alone characters who do not rely on their partner's appearances in order to get their own ones.

My personal tier goes something like this:

Top:
*Mario
*Luigi
*Peach
*Bowser
*Yoshi
*Toad
*Donkey Kong
*Wario

High:
*Daisy
*Waluigi
*Bowser Jr. (as of recently)
*Diddy Kong (as of recently)
*Mii (as of recently ..if one counts the Miis anyways...)

Middle:
*Toadette
*Birdo
*Baby Mario
*Baby Luigi

Low:
*Generic baddies (Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones, Shy Guy etc.)
*King Boo
*Rosalina (as of recently)
*Petey Piranha
*Dry Bowser (as of recently)

Very Low:
*Pretty much anyone else...

Koopaul said:
what you meant is reasonable but maybe meaningless
if you were only reporting the actual "observation" Nintendo have done, but not a improvement
just like the table of realistic statistics in page 1

about your point, the problem is still that most Mario member aren't recurring in main games
we can tell who are overally in the official Mario group, and who are the main boss and hero/heroine
but there is no way to tell "top" and "bottom" classes from the rest
the phase "can't put in any before" didn't solve anything, if "alternation" is effective bit more at least

New Super Yoshi said:
Here is mine.

Must have:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Bowser

Will be very likely:
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Toad
Daisy

Common but not for Small Rosters:
Bowser jr.
Diddy Kong
Koopa Troopa
Dry Bones
Boo/King Boo
Toadette
Birdo

Only for huge rosters:
Dixie Kong
Toadsworth
Petey Piranha
The Baby's
E. Gadd
Funky Kong
Dry Bowser
Rosalina
Any Enemies other than the three on the last section
Both Boo and King Boo
My tiers.

The way I see it while a roster as big as Sluggers is good, I don't think that any game besides Mario Baseball or Smash Bros. needs a huge ass roster

New Super Yoshi said:
New Super Yoshi said:
Here is mine.

Bowser jr.
Diddy Kong
Koopa Troopa
Dry Bones
Boo/King Boo
Toadette
Birdo

Only for huge rosters:
Dixie Kong
Toadsworth
Petey Piranha
The Baby's
E. Gadd
Funky Kong
Dry Bowser
Rosalina
Both Boo and King Boo
My tiers.

Uh...Boo and King Boo are in two tiers.

Epic Nitwit said:
New Super Yoshi said:
New Super Yoshi said:
Here is mine.

Bowser jr.
Diddy Kong
Koopa Troopa
Dry Bones
Boo/King Boo
Toadette
Birdo

Only for huge rosters:
Dixie Kong
Toadsworth
Petey Piranha
The Baby's
E. Gadd
Funky Kong
Dry Bowser
Rosalina
Both Boo and King Boo
My tiers.
Uh...Boo and King Boo are in two tiers.
in tier 3 I ment either Boo or King Boo. In tier 4 I ment both Boo and King Boo.

Propeller Toad said:
Additionally, Toad is even one of the few characters to be made playable in mainstream Mario games as well (SMB 2 and NSMB Wii in terms of two Toads). Mario [all], Luigi [all but two], Peach [one], Toad(s) [two], Yoshi(s) [three-rideable, one-playable] Wario [one] were playable in the mainstream Mario games while Bowser presumed his role as the main antagonist. DK seems to have branched off more into his own series aside from the Mario spin-off titles; however, he still lives as the main antagonist and as a playable character (his mini form) in the Mario vs DK series.
I can see how you devot to Toad..... did you explain why Toadette is in a much larger danger?

I think Toads have a token, significant and irreplaceable status throughtout Mario series
but to define the "top tier" Koopaul mentioned
I did think the true undeniable main "heros/heroines" are who I said in page.1
Wario and DK aren't, and Toads, Birdo and Yoshi are still secondary to them as assistants
uh, at leat one game must contain 10 characters, that wouldn't mean those five will monopolize all games from the others :P

glad to see you others think your versions of rosters
but speaking in truth, not to depreciate or be arbitrary, I didn't feel ideas of improvement
as most points I mentioned didn't fit in yours

Wii Remote Plus said:
The way I see it while a roster as big as Sluggers is good, I don't think that any game besides Mario Baseball or Smash Bros. needs a huge ass roster
I mentioned the way of alternation, even though large roster solves anything
do Nintendo can spend that much time on 20 characters each game if they were not idling? :P
though Kart 3DS has some more seats than Kart DS

Re: Fair Roster for futue Mario spinoffs? ☆Table update to Kart 7

Why don't you think Wario and DK are top tier? They are in practically every Mario spinoff.

I think you have a very different idea what top tier means. To me it means characters that are very iconic/ important.

Wario and DK are main characters of their own series making them very important and iconic. Characters like Birdo or Daisy barely appear in non-spin off games Mario or otherwise. Daisy isn't a "major heroine" like you say she is. She only had one major role in her life. So I agree with Propeller Toad's list. Those characters are defined by their big roles in games.

Another confusing thing you do is pairing DK with Candy instead of Diddy. Look at that Mario and Sonic roster you made.

Why is Candy so important to you? She barely has any significance in the Donkey Kong series as it is. Diddy is next most important character in the DK series and you will never see another character without him.

Koopaul said:
Why is Candy so important to you? She barely has any significance in the Donkey Kong series as it is. Diddy is next most important character in the DK series and you will never see another character without him.

This. Even if you're saying Candy is the biggest female character, she still isn't. Dixie, Tiny, and Wrinkly all have bigger roles than Candy in the DK series, from what I know.

Koopaul said:
Why don't you think Wario and DK are top tier? They are in practically every Mario spinoff.I think you have a very different idea what top tier means. To me it means characters that are very iconic/ important.
Wario and DK are main characters of their own series making them very important and iconic. Characters like Birdo or Daisy barely appear in non-spin off games Mario or otherwise. Daisy isn't a "major heroine" like you say she is. She only had one major role in her life. So I agree with Propeller Toad's list. Those characters are defined by their big roles in games.
I agree but disagree, that if the staff need to make improvement, there would be many changes from the games like in this year, while characters are defined by their big roles in "adjusted" games. I do have some personal viewpoints different, basically I'm not toward specific characters, as some rules of roster are put in the first post.

I remember the reply mentioned, the fact is most characters are not doing with main Mario games (it's another problem, though). It's hard to tell if there are really top or low tiers among non-hero characters. Also like saying above, there are some major duo partners doing with the arrangement of roster, as some are not in main games by half.

ghostyTrickster said:
Koopaul said:
This. Even if you're saying Candy is the biggest female character, she still isn't. Dixie, Tiny, and Wrinkly all have bigger roles than Candy in the DK series, from what I know.
I think that's right, as she hasn't engaged in racing and wouldn't get big role unless next different main DK game changing.
Her significance is already defined by the staff, so it's is a problem-to-solve for them if she's not in player or story role. But without Candy as the reply, it's still doing with Dixie and other partners in the topic while Diddy is prior under DK.

How are DOnkey Kong and Wario "non-hero" characters. They play the hero all the time in their games.

Why does being a hero have any significance anyway?

OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

Apparently everyone in this thread does. It actually is an interesting subject to boil down a formula for what characters matter in spinoffs.

As long as theirs some interesting new characters to play as (Babies dont count, neither does characters that we expect) I'm happy. I dont even care for the 'deserved to be in' characters. Theyre generic in my opinion. Theyre always there. always the same.

Back