"Mario Sports Mix" Release Thread - It begins... (in other regions, obviously)

I hope the game that people are criticizing about will be much more fun with a friend (or twin sister).

The game is alot more fun when ou play with someone else.

I found Dodgeball to be the most fun while hockey was the worst for me.

I haven't played Hockey yet, but dodgeball is the best and volleyball is the worst. Volleyball is horribly boring. But, basketball is terrible because of how hard it is to see where the ball is. You aren't put at a very good angle, and it would be better if you were given a side view.

The part of this game that ruins it is that the CPU players always screw things up. The game should automatically put you in control of the CPU when they get the ball, like in MSC, but instead you have to hit a button to change it. Usually, it picks the wrong CPU to control. I also don't like how the CPUs can move around and play when they've got the ball and you're not controlling them. They usually do everything for me or do something that I didn't plan that messes everything up.

Game was released today for my area. Played Basketball, Dodgeball, and Hockey, but have yet to try Volleyball.

Fawfulfury65 said:
I haven't played Hockey yet, but dodgeball is the best and volleyball is the worst. Volleyball is horribly boring. But, basketball is terrible because of how hard it is to see where the ball is. You aren't put at a very good angle, and it would be better if you were given a side view.

The part of this game that ruins it is that the CPU players always screw things up. The game should automatically put you in control of the CPU when they get the ball, like in MSC, but instead you have to hit a button to change it. Usually, it picks the wrong CPU to control. I also don't like how the CPUs can move around and play when they've got the ball and you're not controlling them. They usually do everything for me or do something that I didn't plan that messes everything up.
Actually you can set it to switch automatically, and I personally like the view it has. A sideways view would make it look kinda weird.

The Cosmic Vin said:
Too bad this game gets released in April 2011 (I think) in Canada :(
I'm not sure. But I feel bad for Canada because I think they only got about 2 Mario games released there. They would have to travel a few miles just to get a awesome video game. Sad.

Broggy said:
Fawfulfury65 said:

Actually you can set it to switch automatically, and I personally like the view it has. A sideways view would make it look kinda weird.

You mean switching characters automatically instead of pressing the button to switch to the teammate? That's what's aggravating me too -- I hope I wasn't overlooking something after checking through the Basketball tutorial last night.

MeritC said:
Broggy said:
Fawfulfury65 said:

You mean switching characters automatically instead of pressing the button to switch to the teammate? That's what's aggravating me too -- I hope I wasn't overlooking something after checking through the Basketball tutorial last night.
How do you make it so it switches automatically? Mario Strikers Charged has a side view, and I think it is much easier to see whats going on with it. I also hate how if in hockey, when the puck is shot far away from you, the camera doesn't put it in view. It only focuses on your character.

When you choose a stage or tournament cup, press the + button to configure character swaps from manual to auto.

Supremo78 said:
The Cosmic Vin said:
Too bad this game gets released in April 2011 (I think) in Canada :(
I'm not sure. But I feel bad for Canada because I think they only got about 2 Mario games released there. They would have to travel a few miles just to get a awesome video game. Sad.
....What?
I live in Canada and we get all the games all at the same time U.S.A. does.

The game may already be out, but I did have some what ifs, in terms of if more characters were in the mix. If I were to add to the roster, it would probably be the following...

CharacterTypePowerSpeedTechnique
BirdoPowerful5/52/52/5
ToadetteSpeedy1/56/52/5
Dixie KongSpeedy1/55/53/5
Tiny KongAll-Rounder2/54/53/5
King K. RoolPowerful6/51/51/5
KritterPowerful5/53/51/5
RosalinaTechnical1/53/56/5
CoachTechnical3/51/55/5
Koopa TroopaSpeedy2/55/52/5
Koopa ParatroopaTricky1/55/53/5

With the additional 10 characters, the roster would end up with the following below (not counting the Mii)...

All-Rounder: 5
Technical: 6
Powerful: 6
Speedy: 6
Tricky: 5

Add the Mii, and only the Tricky type would be one character short.

MnSG said:
The game may already be out, but I did have some what ifs, in terms of if more characters were in the mix. If I were to add to the roster, it would probably be the following...

CharacterTypePowerSpeedTechnique
BirdoPowerful5/52/52/5
ToadetteSpeedy1/56/52/5
Dixie KongSpeedy1/55/53/5
Tiny KongAll-Rounder2/54/53/5
King K. RoolPowerful6/51/51/5
KritterPowerful5/53/51/5
RosalinaTechnical1/53/56/5
CoachTechnical3/51/55/5
Koopa TroopaSpeedy2/55/52/5
Koopa ParatroopaTricky1/55/53/5

With the additional 10 characters, the roster would end up with the following below (not counting the Mii)...

All-Rounder: 5
Technical: 6
Powerful: 6
Speedy: 6
Tricky: 5

Add the Mii, and only the Tricky type would be one character short.

*laughs at the places you placed 6/5 for certain cases on that table*

But, I'm baffled, if the Birdo WERE to make the cut, I thought she would be more with the Technical group like Peach, Daisy, and White Mage.

MeritC said:
*laughs at the places you placed 6/5 for certain cases on that table*

But, I'm baffled, if the Birdo WERE to make the cut, I thought she would be more with the Technical group like Peach, Daisy, and White Mage.

Cactuar actually has a 6/5 speed stat, which is depicted by a red stat bar. That's why you see the 6/5 stat values for Toadette, Rosalina, and King K. Rool.

Anyway, Birdo is often known for having good strength, as shown in Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Super Sluggers. Think about how nasty its shots would be when it fires balls from its mouth.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Broggy said:
Coach would be awesome! But I doubt that would happen.
The penguin from SMG?

Yup. See the image below for better accuracy.

Coachsmg.PNG

1) Already got it. :D
2) Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Daisy, Bowser, and Bowser Jr.

:)

The auto thing is right before you choose a stage. (I think)
Then you press + and select "Auto-(something)"

Hope that fixed the problem. :peach:

Broggy said:
They should replace the suckish shyguy goalies, and have them be Kritters. like in Strikers

I wouldn't want Kritters to be restricted to being goalies all the time. Maybe certain Kritter colors would get the goalie status (red and blue obviously). The green Kritter (along with the brown Kritter) would be playable.

I'm starting to like basketball more than dodgeball. The expert CPUs annoy me because the only way they ever score points is by either using an item or doing a slam dunk. I always try to get the ball in by shooting from the 3 point line because if I get any closer to the hoop they destroy me.

Hockey is very fun, but it takes a loooonnnggg time to complete. I like tackling the team of Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Wario.

I also like seeing Wario lose. He looks funny and stupid when he goes on his back and starts flailing around.

I did complete Normal mode for all sports, and defeated Behemoth; three times; my first attempt being with Mario and Luigi (after clearing 2 on 2 Volleyball); the other two were with White Mage, Yoshi, and Toad, with the third attempt being able to execute the special move correctly; I did study some of the Youtube videos involving the Behemoth battle.

Of course, I'm now mostly trying to unlock all the characters for all sports. For one instance, I was able to complete the Star Road in Basketball, and unlocked Ninja for all sports. In fact, one combo that I commonly use is the team of White Mage, Yoshi, and Toad, with the White Mage being the team leader.

Regarding Sports Mix mode, to use a specific character, you have to unlock him/her at every sport first. This also applies to alternate colorings and outfits.

By the way, when I unlocked White Mage's pure white coloration, in a sense of irony, the pure white coloration makes the White Mage a bit more evil-looking (especially since her eye irises are red).

Fawfulfury65 said:
How do you get to Behemoth?

You have to defeat the Final Fantasy team at all four sports. When you win against them at the fourth sport, an alternate cinema will play, which will lead to the Behemoth battle. Defeating Behemoth not only gets you the Star Cup, but you'll unlock Sports Mix mode as well.

Back