Ideas for a new Mario Kart game?

Sp00kDragon

Mario Kart IRL. Poggers
MarioWiki
NukeDragon
Look, I know that MK8DX was already released for the Switch, but that was just MK8 with new battle mode modes and stages. They could still make a new game for Switch right? MK9?

A substantial single-player mode. Mission Mode was a thing. I wasn't fond of it. But something that should make game be more than just a bunch of tracks you race/battle on.

Ash Ketchum said:
I'm still rooting on the revival of Kart-based single player adventure modes with hub worlds ala Diddy Kong Racing and it would be pretty cool to see Mario Kart do one.

Edit: Also maybe they could bring back some past features like a double kart mode that would allow you to pick two racers like in Double Dash or maybe the custom emblems?

There's not much new that can be done with the series to be honest. I say just stick with what we've got and focus on making great race tracks and battle arenas, as well as focusing on providing a great character roster and a solid item system.

I just want new characters that are more like what we were getting with Double Dash and Wii vs. the kind of stuff we got in 8. Characters that were in Mario (or DK) games that aren't derivative of characters already in the game. The Koopalings were really the only ones who fit that category in 8 and since they're collective, they didn't feel the same as having multiple new characters that aren't always together. What about stuff like E. Gadd, Toadsworth, the snubbed-twice Kamek, bringing back Birdo and Diddy Kong and King Boo and Petey Piranha, etc (and I still want an RPG character but I've quit holding my breath on that one). And a successor to Mission Mode would be nice.

And get rid of the coin as an item. If we absolutely need an item that can't block shells when held behind you, just bring back the Fake Item Box because at least that can be used offensively.

It better include the sound effect.

Glowsquid said:
Mario Kart 8 uses the regular race courses instead of dedicated arenas for its battle mode, and it kind of sucks. However, it did make me think about what a racing-focused battle mode in Mario Kart should the series stick in that direction and I decided to type out the resulting brainfart because hey, why not.

The inspiration
fullauto.jpg

Full Auto 2 is a launch PS3 title and a game I like to call "Dudebro Mario Kart", though it’s really more Twisted Metal meets Burnout. It's a racing game where the cars are weaponized - you can mount up to 2 weapons from an array of both offensive (machine guns, rockets, etc) and defensive (smoke engine, mines) option which can be used at will during the races. Scoring is purely based on your race placements (although a counter of opponents gunned down is kept) and competitors respawn immediately upon destruction. In addition to the racing mode, there's also a more traditional Twisted Metal-esque arena mode where the focus is purely on gunning down opponents in closed maps.

Full Auto 2 won't be used as a case study in game design for anything, but it is a danged fun car combat game that could provided some pointer should Mario Kart decide to stick with race tracks for battle mode. Like…

Whatev, nerd. How would it work?

The battle mode would be similar to the regular race setup (including scoring being based on race placement), but with the following tweaks to encourage combat;

• Instead of items randomly being awarded when picking up ? boxes, each player choose from two items among both offensives and defensive options before the racer start. Items like the crazy 8, blue shell and lightning do not appear in this mode.
  • Weapons no longer stun - instead, each racer has an health bar, which is based on the Kart’s frame. When depleted, the kart is “destroyed” and the racer respawn. Weapon damage is balanced by their properties – red shells do less damage than green shells to compensate for homing and fake item boxes do less damage than bob-ombs.
  • The primary and secondary weapons have separate slots and use buttons. Each slots has differently-coloured ? boxes and the player can stock multiple uses of a weapon by driving through ? boxes (the number of uses that can be stocked depend on the individual weapon). Stacked, Double-Dash style ? boxes add one use to both slots.
  • Mushrooms do not appear in this mode. The Starman is now a separate powerup that automatically activates once picked up.
  • Course obstacles do damage and stun the player.
  • Contact with other racers doesn’t do damage in itself but pushing them into walls does.

obviously this could use some fleshing out, but it’s a start. What do y’all think?

I would like to see a mode where you battle bosses. Kinda like a battle mode but instead of other racers you battle bosses.

I prefer to race the bosses when it comes to racing games.

Thats why my favourite bosses from DS were wiggler and Goomboss.

It's about time we get an option to pick a kart paint job and more customization features (like swapping out parts for others). Geez, Nintendo, get on the times.

Baby Luigi said:
Glowsquid said:
Mario Kart 8 uses the regular race courses instead of dedicated arenas for its battle mode, and it kind of sucks. However, it did make me think about what a racing-focused battle mode in Mario Kart should the series stick in that direction and I decided to type out the resulting brainfart because hey, why not.

The inspiration
fullauto.jpg

Full Auto 2 is a launch PS3 title and a game I like to call "Dudebro Mario Kart", though it’s really more Twisted Metal meets Burnout. It's a racing game where the cars are weaponized - you can mount up to 2 weapons from an array of both offensive (machine guns, rockets, etc) and defensive (smoke engine, mines) option which can be used at will during the races. Scoring is purely based on your race placements (although a counter of opponents gunned down is kept) and competitors respawn immediately upon destruction. In addition to the racing mode, there's also a more traditional Twisted Metal-esque arena mode where the focus is purely on gunning down opponents in closed maps.

Full Auto 2 won't be used as a case study in game design for anything, but it is a danged fun car combat game that could provided some pointer should Mario Kart decide to stick with race tracks for battle mode. Like…

Whatev, nerd. How would it work?

The battle mode would be similar to the regular race setup (including scoring being based on race placement), but with the following tweaks to encourage combat;

• Instead of items randomly being awarded when picking up ? boxes, each player choose from two items among both offensives and defensive options before the racer start. Items like the crazy 8, blue shell and lightning do not appear in this mode.
  • Weapons no longer stun - instead, each racer has an health bar, which is based on the Kart’s frame. When depleted, the kart is “destroyed” and the racer respawn. Weapon damage is balanced by their properties – red shells do less damage than green shells to compensate for homing and fake item boxes do less damage than bob-ombs.
  • The primary and secondary weapons have separate slots and use buttons. Each slots has differently-coloured ? boxes and the player can stock multiple uses of a weapon by driving through ? boxes (the number of uses that can be stocked depend on the individual weapon). Stacked, Double-Dash style ? boxes add one use to both slots.
  • Mushrooms do not appear in this mode. The Starman is now a separate powerup that automatically activates once picked up.
  • Course obstacles do damage and stun the player.
  • Contact with other racers doesn’t do damage in itself but pushing them into walls does.

obviously this could use some fleshing out, but it’s a start. What do y’all think?

I agree with the musings of this fine, mysterious fellow.

So, I was just thinking about what's likely to come back as a retro course in the next Mario Kart game. I reckon Yoshi Desert and/or Sunset Wilds from Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mushroom City from Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Toad's Factory from Mario Kart Wii all seem like fairly likely candidates. I'd personally quite like to see Daisy Circuit, as I imagine that'd be really pretty with HD graphics on the sunset. I was also wondering about whether if Wario Colosseum were to come back whether it could be as a three-segment course instead of a two-lap, but I'm not really sure how the length would measure up. I also think that if they brought back Double Dash!!'s Rainbow Road they'd replace the cannony-thing with an antigravity gliding segment, and also potentially add a gliding segment over the crate conveyor belt section similar to the one in Melody Motorway in that it switches between a boosted ramp and a glide ramp in Toad's Factory.

Unlikely as it would be, my Mum also suggested the idea of rather than having the characters just using a generic quote such as "Bye Bye!" when passing by another character whether instead that they use certain quotes, perhaps including the character's name. Obviously it would only work well with speaking characters, such as Waluigi or Daisy (Mind you Bowser can say some semi-understandable stuff now...), and I'd be doubtful as to whether they'd do it for Mario himself (They really should though), but I think it'd be quite cool. I also just thought up "Bye bye Shy Guy!" which I think would be a funny one.

I talked about it in my ask thread, but I mentioned how characters should have Fortune-Street-style banter between two specific character like Wario saying he wants to pull Luigi's stache off or Wario turning Toad to mushroom stew. I'd like to see those sort of character-specific reactions. Mario should join the fun too. Make him even say "So long-eh Bowser". It would make stalking and teaming up on Wario soooo much more worth it.

they should have full on conversations with each other when they pass by, but if they start getting too far away from each other, they'll start shouting so they can hear each other

I will be furious if they don't bring back GBA Rainbow Road in the next game. They've gotta follow the pattern, after all. My prediction (or at least what I think would be good choices) follows:

SNES Bowser Castle 3
SNES Vanilla Lake 1
N64 Wario Stadium
N64 Banshee Boardwalk
GBA Sunset Wilds
GBA Rainbow Road
GCN Mushroom City
GCN Bowser's Castle
DS Shroom Ridge
DS Mario Circuit
Wii Toad's Factory
Wii DK Summit (A.K.A. DK's Snowboard Cross)
3DS Shy Guy Bazaar
3DS Rock Rock Mountain (A.K.A. Alpine Pass)
Wii U Electrodrome
Wii U Cloudtop Cruise

This is assuming they still only have 16 retro tracks. It'd be the first time since MKDS where they could have equal track representation for all previous games.

Not to mention that I utterly despise GCN Rainbow Road

Back