What Mario game do you think has the best storyline?

Even for a Mario game. *finishes sentence like stereotypical twin*

Ah, but I put a period, take that!! >:)

Luigi's Mansion's storyline was great for this particular reason: it does not involve Peach getting kidnapped, and Mario gets stuck in a painting. Even though Luigi is a gullible fool in that game, and King Boo even comments on that.

Too bad "Bowser" is the last boss, though.

Actually, King Boo is, but I don't mind Bowser being the main antagonist. I mind how broad his scope of schemes are though.

But really, not many people play the Mario platformers for the story anyway.

I know that, but some critics lower the score for Mario platformers just because the story sucked. I usually care about gameplay over story. If I want a good story, I'd read a book instead of watching 15 minute cutscenes.

Probably not, but Bowser just sounds odd, though, IMO.

I thought Bowser's voice was fine. It was nice to see him talk for once. I really didn't care how corny it sounded; I appreciated that a Mario game had full voice acting for once.

And maybe for the last time. :mad:

I really hope that Super Mario Sunshine won't be the last time we hear full voice acting in the cutscenes. I don't care how crappy it was, I appreciate it, and I like seeing Mario characters talk like that for once.

Yeah, I liked the cutscenes in SMS with the talking. It was more enjoyable than reading a bunch of speech bubbles.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Yeah, I liked the cutscenes in SMS with the talking. It was more enjoyable than reading a bunch of speech bubbles.

They can also add full voice acting ingame rather than a cutscene exclusive thing. It would be funny to hear Mario make comments when he is doing something specific, like grabbing coins.

Super Paper Mario, just classic. A madman trying to doom the universe is just awesome! :posh:

However, of all the platformers, I liked Super Mario Galaxy's story, I like Rosalina and the whole galaxy concept!

I like Yoshi's Island's story most of all the main Mario games. It's cool to see everyone as a baby and to know what happened in the Mushroom Kingdom's past.

Yoshiwaker said:
Super Mario Sunshine was good because it wasn't just, "Oh, somebody got kidnapped and I gotta rescue them".

Per. Well, I was about to say that. Peach shouldn't have been stolen in the game at all.

Storyline? In my Mario?

I really have to say a tie between the first and second Paper Marios, though I appreciate the humor of every Mario RPG. I haven't played SPM or the M&L series, but I'm sure they're just as satisfying.

I agree. SMG2 has the worst story line. It's basically SMG all over again with minor tidbits. I think Bowser's Inside Story has an interesting storyline.

I don't know if it is the fact that it's the only Mario game I beated, aside from Mario Kart. But I think the best storyline is for Paper Mario. I liked how they created something a little bit new for Bowser kidnapping Peach, because that time it was more interesting, since the castle was on the sky and not like every other game when the stages have really no sense or a reason for the game to advance. And, no offense to those who played the first Mario games.
But for me, it was very original, and every stage/level/chapter had it meaning to the game, that was collecting the stars so they could pave the way for Mario to reach the castle, save the Kingdom and also grant him enough power to defeat Bowser.

Back