What Mario game do you think has the best storyline?

Mason said:
I will say one thing. The storyline for Super Mario World was mindblowingly stupid. The GBA port didn't help.

Per, and I think not even the instruction booklet story helped.

In the instruction booklet, the description makes me want to barf. "Magical" Dinosaur Land? "Beautiful" cape? Sounds like a girl's story.

Super Mario World is now another example of an overrated Mario game with a bad story (the other being Super Mario Galaxy 2)

Nintendo really needs to make a little deeper story.

Mario games don't need to rely on story to be good, but sometimes, a corny story like SMW's kind of stops me.

NSMB's story should be taken into account of its atrocious story too.

(BTW, I find it ironic that this topic is about the best storyline when we are basically talking about the worse storylines)

Cosmopolitan said:
Mario games don't need to rely on story to be good, but sometimes, a corny story like SMW's kind of stops me.

NSMB's story should be taken into account of its atrocious story too.

(BTW, I find it ironic that this topic is about the best storyline when we are basically talking about the worse storylines)

I guess it is easier to talk about the worst stuff than the best stuff.

Most Mario games that aren't RPGs don't really have great stories. Yeah, sometimes the platformers such as Super Mario Galaxy has epic moments but the story it was based on was meh. Speaking of Super Mario Galaxy, I liked my first impression of a giant UFO lifting Peach's Castle to the sky. It looked really impressive. The rest of the story was meh, except for the final battle.

Do you know any good Mario storylines that aren't RPGs? Not excluding RPGs or anything, but they tend to have better stories than the mainstream Mario games. Just wondering.

Yeah, it includes RPGs. The title didn't say, "Main Mario game", it just said "Mario game".

What scares me that you face Bowser, Peach and Luigi as the games final boss and ironically they are the other 4 heroes from Paper Mario 3. What's next Mario? * shivers * Best game plot would probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2. All though if you hate storylines that make you cry this game may not be your pick. Try not to get a Mudkip though take my advice it's useless. It's way better than it's previous installment which was basically an excuse to go through random dungeons. Characters die, you get betrayed, and the antagonist turns out to be a your best friend.

PokemonMaster said:
What scares me that you face Bowser, Peach and Luigi as the games final boss and ironically they are the other 4 heroes from Paper Mario 3. What's next Mario? * shivers * Best game plot would probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2. All though if you hate storylines that make you cry this game may not be your pick. Try not to get a Mudkip though take my advice it's useless. It's way better than it's previous installment which was basically an excuse to go through random dungeons. Characters die, you get betrayed, and the antagonist turns out to be a your best friend.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2 was a fantastic Mario game.

Mason said:
Mario Sunshine would have been perfect with some tweaks (a lot with Peach)

Yeah, Mario could get some speaking parts, and Bowser needs to sound less... dumb...

This is a minor issue, but I wish the characters' mouths didn't go just up and down when they are talking. I wish they would be in sync with the speech, but that would take many tweaks in animation.

This would be a regional issue, wouldn't it?

Yeah, like in many cartoons.

The only Mario RPG game I played is Superstar Saga, and I really did not play the storyline anyway, so deciding the best storyline is still hard for me.

I thought you played it ???

Well, not really, remember? I never recall utilizing bros. moves and killing bosses.

I see. I guess your best bet is Super Mario Galaxy. I like the first, stunning cutscene.

Super Mario Galaxy also had that (unnecessarily) sad story about Rosalina.

But isn't that story about Rosalina optional? Because I never had the time and patience to listen to it.

I think it's kind of relevant to the main storyline, how Rosalina visits a place at the ending of the game.

However, the whole "I'm gonna take over the universe and create my own" thing got old in SMG2. Actually, they ruined the story. I really wish it was a continuation of Super Mario Galaxy.

I bet that I could have made a better story in Super Mario Galaxy 2. The storyline was terrible. :P

Back