Should there be a Super Mario Galaxy 3?

Should there be a Super Mario Galaxy 3?

• Yes, and I want it to be completely fresh.

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Yes, and I wouldn't mind if it's too similar to the other games.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • No, they're milking Galaxy too much.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No, I think Galaxy 2 was the perfect capper.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I don't care, tbh.

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
Because video games are a medium that can tell stories in ways book and TV shows can't. I'd like to see one of the oldest players in the biz to show off what story-telling in video games can do,

One that never gave much of a shit about narrative, mind you.

If you *want* games to have a good story, look at games build from the ground up around narrative, David Cage's stuff, Alan Wake, whatever, don't interject narratives in existing series that never had (and don't need) a good story. Any miniscule dramatic tension in a Mario story would be cancelled by the innherent ridicule of the premise.

Even some of the older games had story. Granted you had to read the manual to find out most of the story, but it was still there.

Only as a throwaway justification for what you're doing. Frickin' Arkanoid has a story, should the next inevitable rehash show off what vidya gaems can do as a narrative medium?

There actually was a Tetris title (yes, Tetris) that added a story to explain why you're pilling up colorful shapes and why you should care. And guess what?

No one gave a shit. That's because Tetris is strong enough that it doesn't need narrative to justificate itself, and indeed, it's so entrenched in gaming conventions that trying to make a story is ridiculous. This is the same thing with Mario.

Marioguy1 said:
Maybe my idea from te Mario Game Ideas thread...you know, another Rosalina but more...evil. It would really give Rosalina a better history expansion.

How's that for coincidence? I too had that idea in my head when I mentioned my ideas for SMG 3.

Glowsquid said:
Because video games are a medium that can tell stories in ways book and TV shows can't. I'd like to see one of the oldest players in the biz to show off what story-telling in video games can do,

One that never gave much of a *bleep* about narrative, mind you.

If you *want* games to have a good story, look at games build from the ground up around narrative, David Cage's stuff, Alan Wake, whatever, don't interject narratives in existing series that never had (and don't need) a good story. Any miniscule dramatic tension in a Mario story would be cancelled by the innherent ridicule of the premise.

Even some of the older games had story. Granted you had to read the manual to find out most of the story, but it was still there.

Only as a throwaway justification for what you're doing. Frickin' Arkanoid has a story, should the next inevitable rehash show off what vidya gaems can do as a narrative medium?

There actually was a Tetris title (yes, Tetris) that added a story to explain why you're pilling up colorful shapes and why you should care. And guess what?

No one gave a *bleep*. That's because Tetris is strong enough that it doesn't need narrative to justificate itself, and indeed, it's so entrenched in gaming conventions that trying to make a story is ridiculous. This is the same thing with Mario.
Here's the thing, though, Tetris just had a bunch of block falling down and nobody expects a story out of that. Mario is a character, a person, and to me, there there acre actual recognizable characters, I expect them to do something, or at least give me a reason why they do what they do. A motivation, if you will.

A motivation, if you will.

The Princess has been kidnaped by a giant reptile of vague origins. Are you bad plumber enough to save the Princess?

Yeah, but I'd like more expanded story than that so I don't feel like I'm playing a rehash of Super Mario Bros.

But who cares about my opinions?

I think Starship Mario should have crashed into the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario will have to collect more Power Stars so the fat Luma can set off again, and the hub should be the Mushroom Kingdom. That would epic!

Smashgoom202 said:
Here's the thing, though, Tetris just had a bunch of block falling down and nobody expects a story out of that. Mario is a character, a person, and to me, there there acre actual recognizable characters, I expect them to do something, or at least give me a reason why they do what they do. A motivation, if you will.
What do you need a story for? Video games are interactive. Stories are just a pale imitation of our naturally interactive environment that people thousands of years ago used to distract themselves from the fact that whenever they were faced with real interactivity they wound up making the wrong decision. We don't need stories anymore, we already have an interactive and involving medium that can replicate and expand on issues that we find it interesting to solve with none of the risk.

Besides, even if you prefer one-sided uninvolving mediums like books, why do you want to mix them with interactive and developing mediums like video games? So that your other friends who like boring things like books won't make fun of you? So that you don't accidentally feel like you've accomplished something while you're playing them? I can't figure out any real reason.

OF COURSE I want Super Mario Galaxy 3 to come out! Its story could start where Galaxy 2 left off (since SMG1 didn't exist ¬¬) and it could be about Bowser trying to take revenge because he couldn't create his own galaxy, so he decides to destroy all the existing ones by using Peach's power, and to use it, he kidnaps her again. By the time when Mario gets 120 Stars, he rescues Peach, but the game doesn't end there, he still has to stop Bowser from destroying the universe, and from that point on, Peach could become a supporting character (maybe playable? I don't know what to think about that...). The last 120 would be brand new missions (NOT GREEN STARS).

The hosts of the game could be both Rosalina and Lubba, who are asking Mario to help them save the universe. I can also imagine Mario being harshly defeated by Bowser in the final battle and suddenly Rosalina and Lubba come in their starships to help.

I want all the power-ups from 1 and 2 to return, plus Metal Mario and Hammer Mario and maybe two brand new powerups. Yoshi would be back with his four colors from SMG2 (Green, Light Blue, Yellow and Orange) plus 4 new ones (Red, Blue, Pink and Purple... and why not Black and White?)

I think Nintendo would announce it at 2011's E3 and it would be released in Summer 2012 to finish the Wii era, since they already confirmed they are currently working on Wii's successor.

Yes... that would be amazing. [/dream]

Well, if they do make a Super Mario Galaxy 3, I'd like to see a completely new hub world and supporting character. (But of course, Rosalina and Lubba could still make cameo appearances with their respective ships).

Uniju said:
What do you need a story for? Video games are interactive. Stories are just a pale imitation of our naturally interactive environment that people thousands of years ago used to distract themselves from the fact that whenever they were faced with real interactivity they wound up making the wrong decision. We don't need stories anymore, we already have an interactive and involving medium that can replicate and expand on issues that we find it interesting to solve with none of the risk.

Besides, even if you prefer one-sided uninvolving mediums like books, why do you want to mix them with interactive and developing mediums like video games? So that your other friends who like boring things like books won't make fun of you? So that you don't accidentally feel like you've accomplished something while you're playing them? I can't figure out any real reason.
Hey, don't diss books. They're cool.

What do you need a story for? Video games are interactive.

Right, I'll just spend hours upon hours shooting aliens as a space marine with absolutely no narrative. Sounds like a plan. I mean, you obviously don't think anything in a video game requires any type of explanation, so why bother with cutscenes or even different levels? No, sit in one space and jump when someone gets close to you.

Stories are just a pale imitation of our naturally interactive environment that people thousands of years ago used to distract themselves from the fact that whenever they were faced with real interactivity they wound up making the wrong decision.

And this was entirely pulled out of your ass.

We don't need stories anymore, we already have an interactive and involving medium that can replicate and expand on issues that we find it interesting to solve with none of the risk.

These two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Actually, I'm wrong. A story is pretty much the only way to "replicate and expand on issues that we find interesting". Thank you for making my argument for me.

Besides, even if you prefer one-sided uninvolving mediums like books, why do you want to mix them with interactive and developing mediums like video games?

Because a combination would pretty much make both mediums 10 times better? This isn't a hard concept, you know.

So that your other friends who like boring things like books won't make fun of you?

Nobody reads books because they enjoy the story and find themselves immersed in the universe of said story because of how well written it is and how engaging the characters are! No, anyone who reads books is a rich prick trying to seem smarter.

So that you don't accidentally feel like you've accomplished something while you're playing them?

a game having a story removes all sense of accomplishment once you beat a game

grade A uniju logic here, guys

take note of this, this is good

also, i'm troll-feeding

i should stop that

Right, I'll just spend hours upon hours shooting aliens as a space marine with absolutely no narrative.
You mean kind of like games like Space Invaders? The ones that popularized the medium?

you obviously don't think anything in a video game requires any type of explanation, so why bother with cutscenes or even different levels?
That is what I said.

No, sit in one space and jump when someone gets close to you.
That's less interactivity. I said less story, not less interactivity.

And this was entirely pulled out of your ass.
"Common sense? Nope! I've never read a book that said that, so its not even true!"

A story is pretty much the only way to "replicate and expand on issues that we find interesting".
I know, isn't it sad? I wish there were some form of interactive media that could do it instead...

Because a combination would pretty much make both mediums 10 times better? This isn't a hard concept, you know.
Right, right, because it's much better to only have control over half of something, too much control over something might make people feel like they're actually doing something. We wouldn't want people actually doing things, now would we?

Nobody reads books because they enjoy the story and find themselves immersed in the universe of said story because of how well written it is and how engaging the characters are! No, anyone who reads books is a rich prick trying to seem smarter.
No, they do feel immersed in the universe of said story. They feel exactly like they're sitting behind a bush watching the characters doing whatever they're doing and not being able to interact with them at all. If that's your thing, fine, but it's still fucking stupid.

a game having a story removes all sense of accomplishment once you beat a game
"I don't have a real argument, so I'm going to pretend I didn't understand what he said and hope everyone else misunderstood it that way too so they don't realize I'm wrong!"

also, i'm troll-feeding
Right, because anyone who tells you you're wrong must be a troll!

I know you're just arguing with me because of some retarded fued you think we have, but this was just way too brain-dead to pass up responding to.

WaluigiWare said:
Well, if they do make a Super Mario Galaxy 3, I'd like to see a completely new hub world and supporting character. (But of course, Rosalina and Lubba could still make cameo appearances with their respective ships).

I could care less if Lubba ends up as a very minor character in SMG 3. Rosalina, on the other hand, needs a lot more respect than what she got in SMG 2.

MnSG said:
WaluigiWare said:

I could care less if Lubba ends up as a very minor character in SMG 3. Rosalina, on the other hand, needs a lot more respect than what she got in SMG 2.
Yup

Uniju said:
You mean kind of like games like Space Invaders? The ones that popularized the medium?

You mean the terribly outdated game that's mostly fun as a novelty? Not all games have to have complex stories, anyway, (there are children books for the literature section of this), but you're against advancing the medium at all, which is just stupid.

That is what I said.

And it's a bad opinion. That's all.

That's less interactivity. I said less story, not less interactivity.

Alright, press a random button that appears on the screen every second or you die. This really doesn't change anything at all.

"Common sense? Nope! I've never read a book that said that, so its not even true!"

I don't know what kind of odd "common sense" you have that would lead you to draw such an obviously incorrect conclusion, but if that's the case, we can pretty much disregard all of your opinions instantly, can't we?

I know, isn't it sad? I wish there were some form of interactive media that could do it instead...

Guess what you do in interactive media?

Actions.

Guess what a story does, more often that not?

Follow a sequence of events caused by one or more character's actions as they try to achieve some ultimate goal.

So, to portray anything that you've mentioned in said interactive media, you need a story.

oopsie

Right, right, because it's much better to only have control over half of something, too much control over something might make people feel like they're actually doing something. We wouldn't want people actually doing things, now would we?

Cutscenes are suddenly the only way to control a story? We're not in 1985 here, player's actions in-game tend to have a direct effect on how the story progresses, giving the player more control in most cases.

No, they do feel immersed in the universe of said story. They feel exactly like they're sitting behind a bush watching the characters doing whatever they're doing and not being able to interact with them at all. If that's your thing, fine, but it's still fucking stupid.

Have you even read a book? I'm seriously starting to doubt you have.

If you have, then you've obviously read really shitty books, or, and this is much more likely, you have absolutely no imagination and need everything presented to you in a simple manner, with neon lights pointing everything out to you, with absolutely no drama and the most primitive of storylines, just like in the old video games you refer to.

"I don't have a real argument, so I'm going to pretend I didn't understand what he said and hope everyone else misunderstood it that way too so they don't realize I'm wrong!"

"I can't say anything in response to what my opponent said, so I'm just going to respond to him in a really snarky manner and try to make him look like the idiot here, even though it's pretty obvious that I am!"

And, to prove how predictable your "responses" are, you're planning on saying something like "Why, yes, you are.".

Right, because anyone who tells you you're wrong must be a troll!

No, the fact that you disagree with me has nothing to do with it. The fact that you're a known troll is a bit more convincing.

I know you're just arguing with me because of some retarded fued you think we have, but this was just way too brain-dead to pass up responding to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like you, but I normally only tend to argue with people who are incorrect. Shocking, I know. I don't say a word when I think you're right about something, just like everyone else. Of course, you wouldn't notice this because I never say anything in response to them. hurr durr

Marioguy1 said:
Nice weather we're having I think that Rosalina should be the damsel in distress in the next game. Give Peach a break...maybe she could make that cake at last...

As amusing as it sounds, it would be more interesting to see her assist the player against certain obstacles. Maybe even give her a playable role as well.

Yeah, I'm just fine with Mario and Luigi.

Please bring back Flying Mario as an ACTUAL power-up in SMG3 plz.

I hope they have Boo Mario in SMG3. He was awsome in SMG but in SMG2 he was only in 1 freaking level.

Back