Donkey Kong Country Returns

Re: New Donkey Kong Country announced at E3

Like the one he made in Donkey Kong Country 2?

I have to wait that long? I was hoping for early November.

The North American boxart has been revealed:

143765e.jpg

Undeniable proof that Rambi and other Animal Buddies are going to be present in the game. I'm beginning to feel the same excitement from E3 all over again.

Rambi, woot!
SB, put that on the wiki.

I honestly don't like the boxart. I don't know why. Also, is it just me, or did Rambi gain a few pounds?

I'm pretty sure that everyone got the memo that the Kremling Krew isn't in this game. Personally, I think they need a break from all the pummeling that they received from the past set of games.

Now that I've played through DK Jungle Beat, I have actually realized that this game might be just fine without Kremlings. Yes, I find it very sad that they aren't appearing, but I think I can let this one go by.

And the DS must have Donkey Kong Land Returns on it.

Jungle Beat... Don't remind me. In fact, most GCN DK games sucked.

Although Jungle Beat was fun, it was still a disappointment. I just hated how they went out of their way to exclude everything that made the series so great in the first place, claiming that the DKC cast "[wasn't] fresh enough for today". Just keep in mind that these are the same people who've worked on the Mario games, the very same people who didn't hesitate to bring back Pauline and quite a few other characters that existed long before the Donkey Kong Country series itself, and yet a series that debuted in 1994 wasn't fresh enough? Give me a break. What a bunch of hypocrites.

As for Donkey Konga, that game was garbage. I tried to enjoy it, but its mediocre gameplay just completely turned me off of it. There's also the fact that next to none of the songs that were included in that game had anything to do with Donkey Kong, and it had some of the worst mini-games ever. Thankfully I didn't pay any money for that piece of crap; instead, I used a Gamestop giftcard, and up to this day, I still regret it.

Although I never played it, I can understand how Donkey Kong Barrel Blast got sloppy reviews. Seriously, a game that requires you to shake your arms for the entire race is not one that you can handle for very long.

I like the boxart, actually. I think it's 10 million times better than Mario Kart Wii's, better than Super Mario Galaxy 2's, and better than Super Mario Galaxy. Just look at Nintendo's work on the background. I like all the detail on the trees, the monkeys' fur, etc. It would be a spectacular FI, if the FI process still existed.

If only they can decorate the spine...which they never do.

I appreciate the fact that Nintendo's reviving pretty much all of their dead or inactive franchises. I realized shortly after getting Brawl that series like Metroid and Donkey Kong seemed like they were on the verge of dying.

Doom Phantom said:
Although Jungle Beat was fun, it was still a disappointment. I just hated how they went out of their way to exclude everything that made the series so great in the first place, claiming that the DKC cast "[wasn't] fresh enough for today". Just keep in mind that these are the same people who've worked on the Mario games, the very same people who didn't hesitate to bring back Pauline and quite a few other characters that existed long before the Donkey Kong Country series itself, and yet a series that debuted in 1994 wasn't fresh enough? Give me a break. What a bunch of hypocrites.

As for Donkey Konga, that game was garbage. I tried to enjoy it, but its mediocre gameplay just completely turned me off of it. There's also the fact that next to none of the songs that were included in that game had anything to do with Donkey Kong, and it had some of the worst mini-games ever. Thankfully I didn't pay any money for that piece of crap; instead, I used a Gamestop giftcard, and up to this day, I still regret it.
Exactly my reasonings, FF.

So, I don't know if I've said this already, but I hate the fact that the game is called "Donkey Kong Country Returns", and yet they decided not to include the Kremlings, which were, I believe, one of the key parts of the Donkey Kong Country series, along with the Kongs, the Animal Buddies, the humor, and of course, the gameplay.

Although, if that really is Rambi the Rhino on the newly-revealed cover, I might just forgive them THIS time.

Edit: It occurs to me that Shigeru Miyamoto never cared much for the Donkey Kong Country series. He didn't necessarily hate it, but he didn't like it all that much, either. Which leads to believe that if he's going to be responsible for all the Donkey Kong games henceforth, we might not get a true return for classic Donkey Kong Country, instead getting what he sees as "improvements" to the series.

Smashgoom202 said:
Edit: It occurs to me that Shigeru Miyamoto never cared much for the Donkey Kong Country series. He didn't necessarily hate it, but he didn't like it all that much, either. Which leads to believe that if he's going to be responsible for all the Donkey Kong games henceforth, we might not get a true return for classic Donkey Kong Country, instead getting what he sees as "improvements" to the series.
Yahtzee would be so proud.

Smashgoom202 said:
Actually, he does. In fact, Miyamoto's the reason why Donkey Kong Country Returns even exists in the first place.

If Miyamoto really thinks DKC has mediocre gameplay, he should try out some of his own games (e.g. The gimmicky Lost Levels Mario Bros.).

Doom Phantom said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Edit: It occurs to me that Shigeru Miyamoto never cared much for the Donkey Kong Country series. He didn't necessarily hate it, but he didn't like it all that much, either. W
hich leads to believe that if he's going to be responsible for all the Donkey Kong games henceforth, we might not get a true return for classic Donkey Kong Country, instead getting what he sees as "improvements" to the series.
Actually, he does. In fact, Miyamoto's the reason why Donkey Kong Country Returns even exists in the first place.
I believe that is fake.

Doom Phantom said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Wow, that's news to me, thanks!

Rachel said:
Yahtzee would be so proud.
I don't care for Yahtzee anymore.

Emperor Ing said:
I believe that is fake.
I'm pretty sure it isn't. That came from an official source.

Smashgoom202 said:
Wow, that's news to me, thanks!
No problem.

Fawfulfury65 said:
If Miyamoto really thinks DKC has mediocre gameplay, he should try out some of his own games (e.g. The gimmicky Lost Levels Mario Bros.).
From what I've heard, Miyamoto didn't have much to do with Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. It was mainly the U.S. Super Mario Bros. 2 that he worked on.

Doom Phantom said:
Fawfulfury65 said:
From what I've heard, Miyamoto didn't have much to do with Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. It was mainly the U.S. Super Mario Bros. 2 that he worked on.
Yeah, he was much more involved with the Japanese Doki Doki Panic game than The Lost Levels.

Back