Donkey Kong Country Returns

Re: New Donkey Kong Country announced at E3

It always amazed me how Donkey Kong went from being a evil monkey who stole Mario's old Girlfreind, to a hero who saved DK island. :dk:

That's because they're two different characters. The Donkey Kong from the arcade games, who kidnapped Pauline, is Cranky Kong. The current Donkey Kong, the star of the DKC series, is Donkey Kong Jr. However, there have been a few inconsistencies. In Donkey Kong Country 2, Cranky referred to Donkey Kong as his "lazy grandson", but in Donkey Kong 64, he called him his "good-for-nothin' son".

Doom Phantom said:
That's because they're two different characters. The Donkey Kong from the arcade games, who kidnapped Pauline, is Cranky Kong. The current Donkey Kong, the star of the DKC series, is Donkey Kong Jr. However, there have been a few inconsistencies. In Donkey Kong Country 2, Cranky referred to Donkey Kong as his "lazy grandson", but in Donkey Kong 64, he called him his "good-for-nothin' son".

Donkey Kong's profile in Mario Superstar Baseball referred to the original Donkey Kong as his ancestor. Also, during Solid Snake's codec in Brawl, Otacon tells Solid Snake that the original Donkey Kong was the grandfather of today's Donkey Kong.

It's not easy trying to figure out the whole truth when several sources aren't confirming that Cranky Kong was in deed the original Donkey Kong.

MnSG said:
It's not easy trying to figure out the whole truth when several sources aren't confirming that Cranky Kong was in deed the original Donkey Kong.
Maybe so, but I'd say that this is more than enough proof.

Yes, yes, YES. It's about TIME they've showed some more footage of this game, and it's JUST what I wanted to see! The way Rambi plays in this game kind of reminds me of the way Hoofer played in Jungle Beat for some reason, but I don't mind that too much. It looks extremely fun. I can't wait until this game is released.

Rambi's in the game... Good. Even though it was kind of obvious by the cover art, but at least not it's really REALLY official... :P

Has anyone got the latest Nintendo Power already? It is supposed to reveal which other Kong is going to join Donkey and Diddy?

It says it on the cover and I think that subscribers of the magazine are getting the issue today.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/donkeykongcountryreturns/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56849464&pid=997764&msg_id=m-1-628684935#m-1-628684935

It's official. No Kongs in the game, other than Cranky.

Wow. Retro just blew it for me. :( I really just lost a lot of interest in this game. What kind of DKC game has only three of the major characters? Come on we need Candy and Dixie and Funky Kong at least!!

This HAS to be some kind of joke. Seriously. This just can't be true. I mean, what next? We're going to find out that Rambi's the only Animal Buddy in the game?

Doney Kong Returns, only with the rest of the Kongs nuked!

@Zoycite

I 'm afraid that this is the case. Squawks will probably be limited to being Cranky's pet from what we 've seen in Nintendo Power, while Enguarde is automatically excluded because of the water levels being left out.

Generally speaking, the DKC elements in DKCR are only remnants and relics and do not belong to the core of the game's spirit. Unfortunately, my initial comment that this is more a DKJB 2 than an actual DKC 4 has been confirmed.

Yeah. The game still looks fun and everything, but at the same time, it's still setting us up for disappointment. Hopefully, they'll pull through with an unexpected, ground-breaking surprise.

Meh, I do not think it will hinder gameplay, but it would've been nice to see the other Kongs.

Well, I have to admit now that Donkey Kong Land only has DK and Diddy (and maybe Cranky in the manual), but it's still a really, really fun game. Of course, that's an old Game Boy game, so the game has a reason not to include more Kongs.

One of the writers of Nintendo Power stated (in the November issue), that the Kongs were getting out of control back in the day, and they didn't want to see more than DK and Diddy in DKCR. I am stunned by that. The other Kongs are awesome!

All I care about this game is that they do not make it too gimmicky.

Of course, I think the main problem with the Kongs was how they were going to be implemented. Maybe they have something else in store...

Back