Am I the only one who hated Brawl?

But it also makes it less fun.

unit4545 said:
The tripping makes it real.

In all seriousness, why the heck would you want a nintendo game to be REAL? It doesn´t make any sense. I bet you don´t dislike tripping because you´re usually the lucky one who gets a free kill against your friend, not the one tripping and getting unfairly killed.

look... have you never tripped before? you trip a few times a month walking around, nevertheless fighting against 3 other people! it adds a subtle touch.

unit4545 said:
look... have you never tripped before? you trip a few times a month walking around, nevertheless fighting against 3 other people! it adds a subtle touch.

I insist: I don´t want a Nintendo game to be real, but to be fun. An unfair way of dieing takes away part of the fun, at least speaking for myself. So does an horribly disbalanced character roster.

To answer the topic question, no. People out there even HACK the game to make it play more like Melee. Brawl +, you know. People also despise tripping, cheap items, unfair final smashes, and crappy subspace emissary mode. Me, I don't like it mainly because it's dual-layered. I cannot play it anymore after my Wii got fixed (well, I can, but I'm restricted).

I'm not a competitive battler, but I like Melee way more than Brawl. You may disagree me on these points:

WARNING! LONG LIST ALERT!!

1. Redundant Target Tests
2. Lazy trophy models
3. Meta Knight. Two words.
4. Less cartoony and silly (The first game was cartoon-like. It got progressively more realistic and serious. Realistic =/= better graphics -_-)
5. Final Smashes
6. Mario's Final Smash sucking
7. Mario's FLUDD
8. Obnoxious crowds (just a minor annoyance)
9. Subspace Emissary
10. Mario not getting a huge role in subspace emissary. He got turned into a trophy the most times! Wah!
11. Obvious bias on Kirby character in the story. Don't why the story irks me so. Maybe because Mario and Luigi are somehow never together and that some characters really needed larger roles.
12. Tripping. One word. Sounds minor, but the executive who came up with this idea deserves an apology for all of us and the people who had to work on implementing the mechanic.
13. Lack of camera mode. Liked playing at weird angles.
14. Cheap stages.
15. CPUs making a free-for-all resemble 1-vs.-3. Melee and Super Smash Bros.'s cpus did not behave like this.
16. Handicap system.
17. Overuse of the character mugshots (minor annoyance). They have on trophies, percentages, and character selection screen.
18. Overuse of theme song. (minor annoyance)
19. Boss Battles Intense. All said.
20. Generic subspace enemies that ruin the concept of a cross-over somewhat.
21. No Super Smash Bros. stages returning.
22. Non-returning characters. Don't know why we need to scrap them. It's nice too see everyone return with a few added.
23. Dual-layered disc. It's probably a minor problem, but my Wii stops working whenever Pit or Pokemon Trainer is selected. Why would anyone care about my Wii? I dunno.
24. Pokeballs. There used to be useful pokemon like Scizor, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Unown, Clefairy, Articuno, Zapdos, Raikou, and maybe even Cyndaquil. Why Hal/Sora removed Articuno, Zapdos, and Raikou while adding Moltres, Suicune, and Entei doesn't seem right. We also get useless pokemon like Munchlax and seemingly increased rates of Goldeen and Wobbuffet appearing. Of course there are useful pokemon added, like Latios/Latias, but there are way too much useless pokemon to really rely on pokeballs for somethign useful.
25. The fan. The two words of doom!
26. Unspectacular opening sequence. The previous games had unique cutscenes, but somehow this game has cutscenes cropped from the Subspace Emissary.
27. The events. Most are uninspired, in my opinion.
28. Dragoon. The Hydra was way cooler, anyway, in my opinion. The dragoon was way too cheap.
29. Why can't I play as Zero Suit Samus without inputting a button code? The world may never know. (Minor annoyance, because I never use her.)
30. Stickers are a distracting.
31. CDs item rate and how they disappear right when they appear.
32. No hitstun. Probably mentioned a million times. I'm not a competitive battler, but that kinda sucks for those tourney people :(
33. No shieldstun.
34. Drowning and no water techniques. Wasted potential for water-levels.
35. Nerfed super scopes. Are they uber-cheap in Melee? No.
36. Where' the parasol? :'(
37.Lack of throw-able screw attacks. KOing people with that thing was awesome. I don't know about you guys.
38. Freezie sucks now. Minor annoyance.
38. And finally, Mario sucking. I don't like tier lists, but Mario sucks. I still use him, though.

At least the music was great! I liked the multiple taunting and the camera-screenshot taker is really nice. The graphics are at least less jagged like in Melee. The assist trophies are pretty nice too, but they could have really added more. The character selection was nice, like Olimar, Diddy Kong, Wario, and Pokemon Trainer. I like how I can shoot while moving. I like grabbing stuff mid-air and grabbing stuff while dash-attacking. I might act like this game is terrible, but it looks like the producers seem to put a lot of effort in the game. It's just that there is a lot of wasted potential.

Seeing what those posts in the topic are saying, I think I'm going to put up a flame shield. :(

LeftyGreenMario said:
1. Redundant Target Tests
2. Lazy trophy models

3. Meta Knight. Two words.
4. Less cartoony and silly (The first game was cartoon-like. It got progressively more realistic and serious. Realistic =/= better graphics -_-)
5. Final Smashes
6. Mario's Final Smash sucking
7. Mario's FLUDD

8. Obnoxious crowds (just a minor annoyance)
9. Subspace Emissary
10. Mario not getting a huge role in subspace emissary. He got turned into a trophy the most times! Wah!

11. Obvious bias on Kirby character in the story. Don't why the story irks me so. Maybe because Mario and Luigi are somehow never together and that some characters really needed larger roles.
12. Tripping. One word. Sounds minor, but the executive who came up with this idea deserves an apology for all of us and the people who had to work on implementing the mechanic.
13. Lack of camera mode. Liked playing at weird angles.

14. Cheap stages.
15. CPUs making a free-for-all resemble 1-vs.-3. Melee and Super Smash Bros.'s cpus did not behave like this.
16. Handicap system.
17. Overuse of the character mugshots (minor annoyance). They have on trophies, percentages, and character selection screen.
18. Overuse of theme song. (minor annoyance)
19. Boss Battles Intense. All said.
20. Generic subspace enemies that ruin the concept of a cross-over somewhat.
21. No Super Smash Bros. stages returning.

22. Non-returning characters. Don't know why we need to scrap them. It's nice too see everyone return with a few added.
23. Dual-layered disc. It's probably a minor problem, but my Wii stops working whenever Pit or Pokemon Trainer is selected. Why would anyone care about my Wii? I dunno.

24. Pokeballs. There used to be useful pokemon like Scizor, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Unown, Clefairy, Articuno, Zapdos, Raikou, and maybe even Cyndaquil. Why Hal/Sora removed Articuno, Zapdos, and Raikou while adding Moltres, Suicune, and Entei doesn't seem right. We also get useless pokemon like Munchlax and seemingly increased rates of Goldeen and Wobbuffet appearing. Of course there are useful pokemon added, like Latios/Latias, but there are way too much useless pokemon to really rely on pokeballs for somethign useful.
25. The fan. The two words of doom!
26. Unspectacular opening sequence. The previous games had unique cutscenes, but somehow this game has cutscenes cropped from the Subspace Emissary.
27. The events. Most are uninspired, in my opinion.
28. Dragoon. The Hydra was way cooler, anyway, in my opinion. The dragoon was way too cheap.

29. Why can't I play as Zero Suit Samus without inputting a button code? The world may never know. (Minor annoyance, because I never use her.)
30. Stickers are a distracting.
31. CDs item rate and how they disappear right when they appear.

32. No hitstun. Probably mentioned a million times. I'm not a competitive battler, but that kinda sucks for those tourney people :(
33. No shieldstun.
34. Drowning and no water techniques. Wasted potential for water-levels.
35. Nerfed super scopes. Are they uber-cheap in Melee? No.
36. Where' the parasol? :'(
37.Lack of throw-able screw attacks. KOing people with that thing was awesome. I don't know about you guys.

38. Freezie sucks now. Minor annoyance.
38. And finally, Mario sucking. I don't like tier lists, but Mario sucks. I still use him, though.

At least the music was great! I liked the multiple taunting and the camera-screenshot taker is really nice. The graphics are at least less jagged like in Melee. The assist trophies are pretty nice too, but they could have really added more. The character selection was nice, like Olimar, Diddy Kong, Wario, and Pokemon Trainer. I like how I can shoot while moving. I like grabbing stuff mid-air and grabbing stuff while dash-attacking. I might act like this game is terrible, but it looks like the producers seem to put a lot of effort in the game. It's just that there is a lot of wasted potential.
Red = Agree
Blue = Disagree
Green = I don't follow.

I don't mind the Target Smashes. At least now I'm able to finish all 5 stages with all 5 characters, but I do think it was better when each character had their own.

WaluigiWare said:
I don't mind the Target Smashes. At least now I'm able to finish all 5 stages with all 5 characters, but I do think it was better when each character had their own.

Would have been great if all characters had unique Target Smashes and had their own 5 levels.

Guys, why are forgetting Board the Platforms? I missed them. They were only unique to Super Smash Bros. 64

BabyLuigiOnFire said:
Guys, why are forgetting Board the Platforms? I missed them. They were only unique to Super Smash Bros. 64

I used to hate Board the Platforms, but that was when I was little. Now, I miss it.

I don't like how in Brawl, if you play through Subspace Emissary even once, you unlock all the characters. Boring.

Well, I'm not sure I HATE Brawl, but I sure dislike it.

Melee was way better, IMO.

In my opinion

unit4545 said:
Well IMO new pork City should've been smaller

Or just take up more space. There was too many empty areas in that city.

LeftyGreenMario said:
BabyLuigiOnFire said:
I used to hate Board the Platforms, but that was when I was little. Now, I miss it.
Oh, I absolutely hated Board the Platforms. Good riddance to them after 64.

WaluigiWare said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
BabyLuigiOnFire said:
Oh, I absolutely hated Board the Platforms. Good riddance to them after 64.
I wish you could customize the stage platforms when creating teh stage. They are SO boring!

It all does seem like 1 VS 3. Plus all the CPUs taunt when you get KO'd.

Back