Am I the only one who hated Brawl?

Yeah, Melee was a great game. I actually play it more than Brawl.

Easmo said:
Junior Troopa said:
Melee was a "black sheep" in the series.

I have a sense that you don´t like Melee because you like Brawl and since a lot of smashers praise Melee at the cost of flaming Brawl, you flame Melee to counter-attack, but in case I´m wrong, explain why you think it´s a black sheep. It was an awesome game, comparisons aside.

I think so anyway. It's just has all these useless characters, wierd stages, and it's so dark...

Junior Troopa said:
Easmo said:
Junior Troopa said:

I have a sense that you don´t like Melee because you like Brawl and since a lot of smashers praise Melee at the cost of flaming Brawl, you flame Melee to counter-attack, but in case I´m wrong, explain why you think it´s a black sheep. It was an awesome game, comparisons aside.

I think so anyway. It's just has all these useless characters, wierd stages, and it's so dark...
Brawl has useless characters (Falco, Wolf, Lucas, all of the other clones) and weird stages (New Pork City, Hanenbow, and many others) Melee had great stages (Temple, Great Bay, Corneria, etc.) and the characters weren't broken or useless.

Villain11 said:
Junior Troopa said:
Easmo said:
Junior Troopa said:

Brawl has useless characters (Falco, Wolf, Lucas, all of the other clones) and weird stages (New Pork City, Hanenbow, and many others) Melee had great stages (Temple, Great Bay, Corneria, etc.) and the characters weren't broken or useless.
Melee had Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, Dr Mario, Roy and Young Link. At least Brawl had characters who had slightly different attacks. I don't think Melee is a black sheep but is much less kiddy than the othere two.

MrConcreteDonkey said:
Villain11 said:
Junior Troopa said:
Easmo said:
Junior Troopa said:

Melee had Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, Dr Mario, Roy and Young Link. At least Brawl had characters who had slightly different attacks. I don't think Melee is a black sheep but is much less kiddy than the othere two.
The Melee clones were much different than the Brawl clones. Brawl had the same everything.

Well, what about a stage where the seasons in the background changed? A stage where a monster suddenly appears and a flying limo passes from the background to the battlefield? A dark, sinister story mode with hard bosses and a lot else to do after the main story? At least all the Brawl 'clones' had some move changes, size changes, and actual story roles.

MrConcreteDonkey said:
Well, what about a stage where the seasons in the background changed? A stage where a monster suddenly appears and a flying limo passes from the background to the battlefield? A dark, sinister story mode with hard bosses and a lot else to do after the main story? At least all the Brawl 'clones' had some move changes, size changes, and actual story roles.
Oooh wow, seasons changing. Melee had a giant Turtle coming out of the ground, a rotating stage, and the best stage ever - Temple.
New Pork City was HORRIBLE! It was huge, and the space was use very poorly.
The Subspace Emissary was poorly done. Kirby was the main character, the enemies were random, and the levels were very repetitive.
The Brawl clones were extremely repetitive whereas the Melee clones weren't. Also, the only reason they had story roles was because there isn't a story in Melee.

MrConcreteDonkey said:
A dark, sinister story mode with hard bosses and a lot else to do after the main story?
Anyone who uses the SSE to prove that Brawl is good has no idea what they're talking about.

Villain11 said:
The Melee clones were much different than the Brawl clones. Brawl had the same everything.

Neither game has absolute clones. Both Brawl and Melee clones have their own moves too. Yeah, even Dr.Mario.

IMO, every Smash game is great. I simply like 64 and Melee better than Brawl because of a more balanced character roster and better target test music and stages

And SSE had a silly story but it´s gameplay is excellent. I liked it alot anyway. I still replay it a lot in co-op with my bro after getting 100%, simply for hi-scores or just for fun.

Easmo said:
And SSE had a silly story but it´s gameplay is excellent. I liked it alot anyway. I still replay it a lot in co-op with my bro after getting 100%, simply for hi-scores or just for fun.
Per

Villain11 said:
MrConcreteDonkey said:
Oooh wow, seasons changing. Melee had a giant Turtle coming out of the ground, a rotating stage, and the best stage ever - Temple.
The Subspace Emissary was poorly done. Kirby was the main character, the enemies were random, and the levels were very repetitive.
The Brawl clones were extremely repetitive whereas the Melee clones weren't. Also, the only reason they had story roles was because there isn't a story in Melee.
Kirby was not the main character, and anyway, he's my favourite. I would say you only need to choose Kirby as the main character. The Melee clones were almost exactly the same. Stop arguing when you can't fight back. Giant Turtle, just moves a little. Rotating stage, MEH, Temple, that's in Brawl with better graphics and another music track.

King Porky said:
Villain11 said:
a rotating stage
I would just like to point out that Brinstar Depths is the worst stage ever.
So Frigate Orpheon in Brawl doesn't count as a rotating stage? And I agree with ShyGuy here.

Villain11 said:
and the best stage ever - Temple.
You do know that the temple reappears in Brawl. ._.

Villain11 said:
Um, no, if you played the game, you would see that they included almost every aspect of the city and more. The stage also had some of the best music in the game.

Villain11 said:
The Subspace Emissary was poorly done.
I agree.

Villain11 said:
Kirby was the main character, the enemies were random, and the levels were very repetitive.
I see no problem with Kirby being the main character. It’s better than Mario being the main fucking character over and over. -_- The enemies were random and they should’ve used other series’ enemies. And the last part: kinda sorta.

Villain11 said:
So, Pichu, who damaged itself when attack, wasn’t repetitive. The clones are made to please fans so people would not say “OMG! Fox is in here, but not Falco or Wolf!?11!?!”And yes, they had story roles, but using Melee’s lack of story mode isn’t an excuse. :/

It was so noticeable that HAL was favoring their own franchises in Brawl.

Kirby is indeed portrayed as the main character in the Story Mode, plus Meta Knight's ship is the McGuffin of the whole thing, and King Dedede is the one who saves everyone near the end.

Ness and Lucas were also heavily featured, and Porky is an over-emphasized boss.

I'm going to parrot my original point that nobody has actually responded to except for one guy who said he wanted lobbies but there's pretty much no possible way that you could have, say, Halo-like lobbies in SSB anyway, and, on a much more important note, you do get lobbies.

So, yeah, SSE was not the greatest thing ever, but it was better than Adventure Mode in Melee, which was pretty much a more expanded Classic mode, Co-Op Events are great, the music is great, the graphics are great, the gameplay is absolutely fine despite what many people will say and I will argue this with anyone who wants to say otherwise. So, come on, have at it. I've noticed that most people tend to completely ignore anything that isn't offline multiplayer or SSE when it comes to Brawl criticism and it's laughable, to be honest.

I'm not going to reply to everything but I would like to point out

Kingler said:
I've noticed that most people tend to completely ignore anything that isn't offline multiplayer
You can tack multiplayer onto a game that people don't enjoy playing but it won't make people like playing the game any more than they liked it single player.

I'm not saying I personally hated Brawl's gameplay but criticizing the single player is pretty much the same as criticizing the multiplayer since it's the same gameplay.

Luckily for my point I wasn't talking about SSE I was talking about offline multiplayer and online multiplayer.

Alright, I misunderstood.

You do actually have a good point there, but when I said people ignore online multiplayer, I was actually saying that they pretty much forget you have an online option at all, and having it online is a big deal.

The SSE is probably the evolved form of Kirby's Adventure, or Kirby Wii as fanon calls it. That would explain why Kirby characters havve main roles.

MrConcreteDonkey said:
Villain11 said:
MrConcreteDonkey said:
Kirby was not the main character, and anyway, he's my favourite. I would say you only need to choose Kirby as the main character. The Melee clones were almost exactly the same. Stop arguing when you can't fight back. Giant Turtle, just moves a little. Rotating stage, MEH, Temple, that's in Brawl with better graphics and another music track.
Your arguement is seasons changing and SSE. I wouldn't say that I couldn't fight back.

Anyway, I like Brawl and Melee equally. There were certain things about each game that I liked and certain things I disliked. But I didn't hate either.

Back