• Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Paper Mario

• Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Super Paper Mario articles are extremely difficult to write in MarioWiki. That's how ridiculous that game is.

Same deal with the wiki comments from 2006-2007. It was just starting out, so things were a bit derpier.

2007. I was about, 15 years old then?

Either Super Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

these answers still hold up, nintendo hasnt really made any serious mario games since 2007 cmon

Paper Jorge said:
these answers still hold up, nintendo hasnt really made any serious mario games since 2007 cmon

Good. Serious Mario is rubbish.

partners in time was pretty dark.

ah, good memories of going to holli jolli when i first got the game when i was six and being completely terrified of it. it's still just as scary.

Mcmadness said:
Paper Jorge said:

Unless it fails at being serious like the Super Mario Bros. movie. Then it's funny.

Magikrazy said:
Unless it fails at being serious like the Super Mario Bros. movie. Then it's funny.

Oh yes, absolutely.

Which one is the real me? YOU DECIDE!!

Mcmadness said:
Paper Jorge said:

you take that back

paper mario 2 and m&l:ss are my two favorite mario games and both were some of the darker more serious ones. even sonic but, those titles sucked. the recent cheery mario rpgs are objectively not as good as the earlier ones.

i gotta say i miss that about the mid to late 2000s. all nintendo games were trying to be dark and edgy, brawl and zelda: twilight princess. everything is so aimed at kids now. why?

uh those were dark?

i never noticed ttyd seems like some sort of parody of other rpgs having ancient demons and m&lss is way too wacky to be serious or dark

Paper Jorge said:
Mcmadness said:
Paper Jorge said:

you take that back

paper mario 2 and m&l:ss are my two favorite mario games and both were some of the darker more serious ones. even sonic but, those titles sucked. the recent cheery mario rpgs are objectively not as good as the earlier ones.

i gotta say i miss that about the mid to late 2000s. all nintendo games were trying to be dark and edgy, brawl and zelda: twilight princess. everything is so aimed at kids now. why?
ironically, kirby, one of the more cutesy series, has gone in the opposite direction
return to dreamland (released in 2011) started the trend, triple deluxe (2014) got steadily darker, and planet robobot (2016) could arguably be one of the darkest titles in the series. not going to go too much in depth for spoiler reasons, but that's what I've noticed.

Superstar Saga isn't really all that dark. There's that one scene where Beanbean Castle Town is blown up, but it gets repaired fairly quickly and nobody comes out worse for wear. If anything, Partners in Time is the darker installment, which featured Toads being drained of their life force in more detail than necessary.

yeah but its just evil aliens so its still pretty wacky

if you say so, never got the impression any nintendo game was really dark aside from maybe metroid

well ive never considered any mario games dark, most come off as attempting to be or just raw out parodies but in terms of actually being dark it doesnt even hit the quarter mile of the meaning.

It's more sad than dark, but the closest that the series has gotten, in my opinion, was with Bobbery's introduction in TTYD. It's surprisingly solemn, especially when compared to the rest of the game.

well thats typically what more nintendo games do, they're too wacky and colorful to be considered dark, but they do have emotional moments.

Its kinda hard to be dark, grim, etc. with being colorful and wacky, some games can pull it off(mother 3), but in most cases it just comes off as trying too hard.

Back