What games would come recently, until Nintendo Switch era ends?

Dorayakiss

Goomba
Squirrels - 複製.jpg

You can either predict what's the next new game announcement, or speculate all possiblities within the current console era.

So starting with sport/party spin-offs: the current game lineup on Nintendo Switch has covered most sport subjects from past consoles. The only big one remaining at this point is Baseball, which was released on Gamecube and Wii.
By record, it is possible for Nintendo to do multiple Party titles on the same console with different themes, but not sure if Nintendo change their mind.
And there is Olympics..... we don't know if Nintendo and SEGA are still able to work on this license in 2024 or they have lose interest in it, since we didn't get a winter title back in 2022.

But speaking of life circle of Nintendo Switch, I think there are still some potential to push new DLCs for the already released sport games. We didn't get too many DLCs on WiiU because its life wasn't long enough. I think Mario Kart 8 tried it, and other Mario games also have the potential to push it.

As for mainline: DKC obviously has the biggest demand for this console era, no contest.
Mario 2D seems very much enough with Wonder and other port expansions for now. As for 3D, I think there is a slightly bigger chance for 3D Land multiplayer series to get a new one, but not sure if it conflicts with the 3D World port. And not sure if Nintendo is still willing to do more single player games for either Mario or other main cast, or any possibility for new Captain Toad?

As for Mario RPGs: consider that AlphaDream is gone and no M&L sequels in forseeable future, we definitely need Nintendo to make more games beside Origami King within this console era.

Assuming the Switch 2 is coming sometime in 2025, I really don't think there's too much left in store for the Switch. If I had to guess I'd say a few more remakes and maybe another new game or two will be released.

I definitely don't expect another RPG after the TTYD remake, and I'm 100% sure there won't be another new platformer either. There won't be another Mario Kart game.

As for the Olympics, I think things are looking pretty bleak for the continuation of the series. We'll know for sure that it's dead if there's no Mario and Sonic at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games this year.

With 2 Mario Party games already on the Switch, I'm certain there won't be another one of those. In the field (ha) of sports games, they've already covered golf, tennis, and Strikers. I agree that out of the sports games, baseball seems like the most likely option. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if a new Mario Baseball game gets released for the Switch.

Another Wario game seems unlikely, they've already got 2 WarioWares and I doubt they'll pull an entirely new Wario game on us. As for Yoshi, I think there probably could be another Yoshi's Island-esque game released on the Switch. Yoshi's Crafted World was a while back, and it's Yoshi's only game on the Switch, so there could definitely be another, although I'll admit it's not too likely.

Now, for DLC. They surprised us with the MK8 booster courses 5 years after the game actually came out. I do hope there'll be some DLC released for preexisting games, I think it would be a good way to keep the release calendar full.

As for remakes, I'm definitely expecting more of those. I'm not gonna guess exactly which ones, but there will probably be some GameCube or even Wii remakes.

And that's about it. A new Mario Baseball game, possibly(?) a new Yoshi game, DLC, and lots of remakes.

I definitely don't expect another RPG after the TTYD remake
With 2 Mario Party games already on the Switch

Remake isn't new game, tho. With that logic, Wonder would had been considered totally unnecessary next to Maker 2 and UDX.

If you predict that Nintendo don't put big weigh on Mario RPGs, fine, Personally I believe that RPGs have the potential to gain bigger frequency than other genre in Mario franchise, so having only one game across the entire platform era is very underwhelming.
Especially Mario RPG isn't consistently good today, and we have to bet that the only game might not have a good performance.

I think there probably could be another Yoshi's Island-esque game released on the Switch. Yoshi's Crafted World was a while back, and it's Yoshi's only game on the Switch, so there could definitely be another, although I'll admit it's not too likely.
Well as I said, definitely not prior to DKC at this point.

I don't hate Yoshi, but if there is no major theme change or purpose, Yoshi doesn't need that high frequency among all Mario lineup IMO, even adding that Yoshi is also a main player in Wonder.
To make up for what the previous one lacks, either the next game finally has Birdo participate or turns back to focus on the babies again.

Last edited:
If you predict that Nintendo don't put big weigh on Mario RPGs, fine, Personally I believe that RPGs have the potential to gain bigger frequency than other genre in Mario franchise, so having only one game across the entire platform era is very underwhelming.
Especially Mario RPG isn't consistently good today, and we have to bet that the only game might not have a good performance.
The trouble with the Switch is that it's so far along in its life that any big, triple-a games Nintendo might be developing will probably just be on the Switch 2 instead. They could pull a Zelda Breath of the Wild and release a massive new game meant for the new console on the older generation as well, but I doubt Nintendo is developing a new RPG for the Switch.

It's not because I believe that Nintendo doesn't care about the RPGs, it's that if Nintendo cares about them, they'll want to make the next release a big one, optimized for the next console instead of a little side game at the end of the Switch's lifetime. Then there's the fact that each home console has only had one RPG anyway, so it's not like Nintendo would be doing anything abnormal by just releasing The Origami King on the Switch.
Well as I said, definitely not prior to DKC at this point.

I don't hate Yoshi, but if there is no major theme change or purpose, Yoshi doesn't need that high frequency among all Mario lineup IMO, even adding that Yoshi is also a main player in Wonder.
To make up for what the previous one lacks, either the next game finally has Birdo participate or turns back to focus on the babies again.
As for a new DKC game, trust me, I want one just as much as anybody else, but if the rumors are true that it's gonna be a huge 3D open world game, I'd rather have it on the Switch 2 so it looks better and runs more smoothly.

I feel like Nintendo could release another Yoshi game on the Switch without ruffling too many feathers, it seems like a safe bet for a spinoff. And it doesn't have to be a huge, impressive new platformer either, it could just be a fun little game with some sort of gimmicky gameplay mechanic that people would buy on a whim. Kirby's Dream Buffet comes to mind when talking about this. It wasn't meant to be a huge, impressive mainline Kirby game, but instead utilized a fun mechanic and online play to make a cheap, fun game that people would buy just for the fun of it.

Probably another Mario Party, a port or new DK game, And maybe a Shadow drop of Luigi's Mansion 1.

They could pull a Zelda Breath of the Wild and release a massive new game meant for the new console on the older generation as well,

Duh, if you use that example, we're supposed to get a new DKC game now as a counterpart to Tears of the Kingdom as well as Mario's Wonder.

The trouble with the Switch is that it's so far along in its life that any big, triple-a games Nintendo might be developing will probably just be on the Switch 2 instead.

It's not because I believe that Nintendo doesn't care about the RPGs, it's that if Nintendo cares about them, they'll want to make the next release a big one, optimized for the next console instead of a little side game at the end of the Switch's lifetime. Then there's the fact that each home console has only had one RPG anyway, so it's not like Nintendo would be doing anything abnormal by just releasing The Origami King on the Switch.

The general problem should be that some regular titles do not get a proper release cycle time to satisfy fans. I don't think general fans would agree to have a certain branch absent from the whole console era just in order to get one in next era, when other projects don't need to sacrifice and compromise

Like, would you be glad to hear that your spouse isn't gonna celebrate marriage anniversary this year? Can s/he just say why matters if we're gonna do it in next year as well?

Besides in the current time point, we wouldn't really know NIntendo's longterm schedule. If my favorite game isn't announced, I'd just worry that it has become Star-foxed.

Then there's the fact that each home console has only had one RPG anyway
consider that AlphaDream is gone and no M&L sequels in forseeable future, we definitely need Nintendo to make more games beside Origami King within this console era.

Hope that you understand the context. And of course we also count the past handheld outputs. It's not like Pokemon should be cancelled right now because it was a handheld-based IP.

In specific cases, I do agree certain types of games don't need frequent releases so that port with deluxe expansion can be enough (e.g. Mario Kart.) Unfortunately, RPGs are not such kind of game genre, as their stories are very enclosed and can hardly get a content expansion to match up with other different games.

Altho M&L did add side stories in 3DS ports, while they're arguably not quite as satisfying as other games' expansion, we also don't see Seven Stars and TTYD announce any major content expansion for Nintendo Switch.

(TTYD can sure try to add playable Peach for second run story if they want, but I personally don't mind if they prefer to focus on next game instead.)

Last edited:
A DK game, either a new one or (more likely) a port. If there were ever any plans to tie the theme park to a game release, which isn't a super out-there scenario, I'd imagine that game would still release in the spring-summer window even with the delay of the park's opening. The necessary papers would have been signed long ago.

(and other jokes i can tell to myself)

I wonder if the lack of a new Dr. Mario game suggestions is damning to the series' diminished popularity. It used to be a very high-selling series where its original NES and GB versions are the Top 10 best selling games on their respective consoles, but now it seems like Dr. Mario is best known for its concept ("Mario as a doctor? But he isn't a credible doctor???") rather than the games.

Thank you for reading.

The genre of falling block games probably just isn't as popular as it was back then. I think people just expect games to do more these days, unless they're cheap digital titles, and indeed Dr. Mario has been relegated to eShop and mobile since those first few releases.

The genre of falling block games probably just isn't as popular as it was back then. I think people just expect games to do more these days, unless they're cheap digital titles, and indeed Dr. Mario has been relegated to eShop and mobile since those first few releases.
Even though Dr. Mario is relegated to either a digital-only release or a compilation part, there is still a surprising lack of suggestion for it, even as a digital title. Certain other puzzle games did get new releases in the mean time, like Puzzle Bobble Everybubble (of the Puzzle Bobble series) or even Puyo Puyo (which has two new games since Dr. Mario World was released: Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and Puyo Puyo Puzzle Pop).

I feel like I am the only one in the forums that would keep suggesting a new Dr. Mario game should be on the Switch. And hoping that like many series on the Nintendo Switch, it could reach a million sales due to its positive effect on titles. But this is also the someone who hopes that puzzle games can be treated well (bless Dr. Mario 64: it's a budget release at $30 but it still felt fully-featured), and the same someone who bought Sushi Striker for Switch at full price. Though maybe I am certifiably insane for it.

Thank you for reading.

Back