Will the February Direct announce the Switch 2?

Will they announce the Switch 2 in the February Direct?

• Total voters

Doctor Welfare

For your health!
Pronouns
he/him
MarioWiki
MegaBowser64
Well, we're all pretty sure that there's gonna be a Direct this month, but the question is, will Nintendo finally announce the Switch 2 in it?

Given how Nintendo actually raised their Switch forecast for their financial year from 15M to 15.5M, they are unlikely to do so. It's likely their last financial year with the Switch, so it would be in their best interest to capitalise on that since they have quite a few key releases by March that are coming (Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Princess Peach Showtime).

Thank you for reading.

No.

The existing Switch will be Nintendo's "main business" heading into 2024, President Shuntaro Furukawa said on a conference call after the earnings report. The company's plan for the next fiscal year will be shared at its next earnings briefing, he added.

It should be noted that Nintendo's fiscal year runs from April to March, so 31 March 2024 will be the end of Nintendo's 2024 fiscal year and Nintendo usually reports their Q4 earnings in May. I expect the Switch 2 to be announced around the time of the earnings briefing and launch during the holiday season.

I don't think so. Nintendo doesn't generally do hardware announcements in Directs (outside of themed versions such as the Mario edition Switch). The Switch, Switch Lite and Switch OLED have all been announced via standalone videos / presentations, and I think the same will be true with the next system.

I switched my vote to "I don't care" as soon as I realized it was an option. the later the Switch 1 loses its Internet compatibility the better

I switched my vote to "I don't care" as soon as I realized it was an option. the later the Switch 1 loses its Internet compatibility the better
do you think nintendo is going to shut off switch online services as soon as the switch 2 comes out or something?

i mean criminy the 3ds and wii u's online services are only going down this year, which are 12 and 13 years after each console originally came out

do you think nintendo is going to shut off switch online services as soon as the switch 2 comes out or something?

i mean criminy the 3ds and wii u's online services are only going down this year, which are 12 and 13 years after each console originally came out
And if the rumors that this really is a Switch sequel are true, it's very possible that they could both run on NSO and the Switch will have online services at least until they shut down the second one. The DS/Wii and 3DS/Wii U shared framework after all.

And if the rumors that this really is a Switch sequel are true, it's very possible that they could both run on NSO and the Switch will have online services at least until they shut down the second one. The DS/Wii and 3DS/Wii U shared framework after all.
I mean we literally have quotes from Nintendo's CEO (and other execs) for years now talking about things like Nintendo accounts and longevity and wanting to keep these things going forward. Plus, it would make no sense for the Switch successor to not have NSO because it's a subscription service, the whole point is to keep people subscribed to it so they can make more money. Nintendo's not gonna leave NSO on the Switch and then switch (pun unintended) over to some new online service for their next console.

Like I do get why people can be untrusting of Nintendo and online accounts, but the whole point of the account system on the Switch (and the NSO by extension) was to avoid all of the issues in the past. Like if my Switch broke and I got a replacement one, I'd just have to login to my account and redownload my games (and sync my cloud save data as well). Compare that to an actual example that happened to me in a past: my original 3DS broke and after I got a New 3DS XL, I had to actually call Nintendo customer support to have them transfer my game licenses to my new system/

I don't think there's a switch 2, it'll be something new
I'd say there's almost zero chance Nintendo's next system isn't a Switch 2. Nintendo is a business and they want to make money and the Switch is a runaway success and is still selling incredibly well, even nearly 7 years after release. Nintendo would be utterly stupid to go 'Hey, you know that console we got that's a massive success, the third best-selling console in history, and the literal best-selling console in our home country of Japan? Yeah fuck that shit, let's do something entirely different instead of trying to iterate on an already proven and successful model of hardware'.

'Hey, you know that console we got that's a massive success, the third best-selling console in history, and the literal best-selling console in our home country of Japan? Yeah fuck that shit, let's do something entirely different instead of trying to iterate on an already proven and successful model of hardware'.
hi have you ever heard of the gamecube

granted they did kind of built on a previous console with the snes and wii u but ultimately those are still markedly different from their predecessors
also the wii u flopped hard so they might be less likely to do something like that again

ultimately nintendo tends to act against what you'd expect. it's really difficult to predict what they'll do so i don't feel a need to try

Are you trying to imply that the Nintendo 64 was a massive success and then Nintendo doing something different with the GameCube was an example of them not iterating on that?

Back