Our voice actor pages have Problems

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
The topic of dubbing and voice actors attracts a lot of very passionate people, and with that, a lot of overeagerness. Our page for quote-unquote voice actors are not exempt. I observe three recurring problems:

- If someone who has another role in production but was asked to record a few grunts for a given game, then very often the page for them will present that as if their main job and relevance to the franchise, One example of this is the Chris Sutherland page: he's a game programmer by trade and he was the lead programmer for the first two DKCs- you'd think that'd be what the page focus, but because he also recorded a few short clips, that's the thing the page throws first and even the infobox list his main job as a voice actor. Some online brain people might accuse me of gatekeeping, but I think it's weird and slightly misleading to present game developers who were asked to record Banjo-Kazooie-style mumbles (something Nintendo and Rare LOVED to do to save money) as if it's their main occupation and what they make their living on.

-Information is often unsourced and based on guesswork. This is something unavoidable on some level because Nintendo is one of those funny company that still list voice actors without listing specific roles but this is often not conveyed to the reader.

-Information is listed in a very misleading way - if someone only recorded for a specific game but then one or two clips is reused in a fture installment then that game is also listed, often without specifying the nature of how their voice was used. Even worse, sometimes an actor records stock audio and that stock audio gets used in a Mario game, it gets listed as if they directly recorded for that game.

The Peter Cullen page is a great example of these problems: the only time he specifically recorded audio for any Mario project is the Saturday Supercade cartoon some 40 years ago, but because he supposedly did stock audio that's been used in Mario games, he's listed in a bunch of games as if he worked on them. There's not even a source for him doing that King Kong roar, nor is one used to demonstrate the sound featured in SM64 and so on is in fact the same clip. And even if it's true, I feel the opening's statement that " aking him one of three people to have voiced both Mario and Bowser " is quite the reach.

Basically, I think a cleanup might be needed as well as some standards be set to outline how VA-related information should be listed in a professional and accurate way. What do you think?

• King Boo's current "portrayal" is a major thorn in my side and has been the source of hugely misleading information throughout the internet if you search for "Toru Asakawa". Our wiki currently credits him as "portrayed by" Toru Asakawa, but Toru Asakawa isn't a voice actor even, nor his laugh even his own. He's a sound programmer, and what he literally did was used a sound library of a stock laugh sound effect and heavily edited it. Sure yes, he did technically create the voice, but it's incredibly misleading to portray him in the same vein on the same likes as Charles Martinet or Samantha Kelly.
  • One thing that bothered me the most is that Charles Martinet is credited for Baby Mario's "voice" in some Yoshi's Island games, namely Super Mario Advance 3, Yoshi's Island DS, and Yoshi's New Island. I'm pretty sure that crying SFX is just a stock sound effect and the only Yoshi game he actually did voice Baby Mario in was Yoshi Touch & Go. Our entire Yoshi's Island DS voice section is comprised of uncredited roles just because of crying noises that we assume that the voice actors provided, and it one time listed BABY LUIGI having a voice even though Baby Luigi is entirely voiceless in that game!

i don't know about that peter cullen situation. if it's true that he recorded those iconic grunts and roars that happened to be used in mario media, i think that would still be a relevant tidbit to his article, just word it so it doesn't sound like he had active involvement in said media (and remove the listings related to them).

i don't know about that peter cullen situation. if it's true that he recorded those iconic grunts and roars that happened to be used in mario media, i think that would still be a relevant tidbit to his article, just word it so it doesn't sound like he had active involvement in said media (and remove the listings related to them).

Well yes, if it's true, it is worth mentioning. What I object to is listing to it in this way, like he sat down in the recording booth to make sound for those games like he did for Saturday Supercade.

1691948568937.png

I think a better way to do it would be to make separate sections when a voice clip is reused, and in the case of stock audio, specify the nature of what was reused.

On a related topic, the List of The Super Mario Bros. Movie voice actors is a big one because most of it is unsourced, which I even contacted the main editor about asking where they got all of those credits from, with no response even though they've been active on the wiki. I'm more inclined to believe the top-billed actors at least are correct since it's possible they're credited through subtitles (like here for the Vietnamese dub, though I don't know if this is true for all dubs) or through those dub credits you sometimes see at the tail-end of the movie if there are any, but my main doubt is with the rest of them. I looked around and it's possible they're sourcing it from the Fandom site DUBDB (where they're also a user) which itself, not surprisingly, doesn't have sources. So I'm suggesting three options, unless of course anyone has reliable sources for any of the credits:
- Go through the list and tag every unsourced credit with "citation needed"
- Tag only the top-billed ones (meaning the ones that appear during the animated credits) while removing the rest of the unsourced ones (my preferred option)
- Get rid of every unsourced credit

- Tag only the top-billed ones (meaning the ones that appear during the animated credits) while removing the rest of the unsourced ones (my preferred option)

I would also agree to that.

while removing the rest of the unsourced ones

I feel like even this has to be done on a case-by-case basis.

There exists absolutely no reliable, explicit, academic source I could cite for this guy voicing Cranky Kong in the Romanian dub of the Mario movie (CineMagia.ro is analogous to IMDb, couldn't use that), but if you compare the character's voice in the dub with the actor's stage performances, it's unmistakeably him doing the job. Under your proposition, the article would be deleted simply due of a formality.

I don't think voice actors credits need to be sourced with hard, capital A academic sources, because yes in many instances it's impossible and not even the actor themselves remember. But I do think it needs to be walked through to the reader in some way, even if it's as simple as "This character sounds identical to this other performance we do know is credited to this actor."

I feel like even this has to be done on a case-by-case basis.

There exists absolutely no reliable, explicit, academic source I could cite for this guy voicing Cranky Kong in the Romanian dub of the Mario movie (CineMagia.ro is analogous to IMDb, couldn't use that), but if you compare the character's voice in the dub with the actor's stage performances, it's unmistakeably him doing the job. Under your proposition, the article would be deleted simply due of a formality.

It's more being better safe than sorry, and with an entire wall of "ref needed" tags, who knows how long it will be until they actually get references. It's less riskier to build the list up if you're able to find a source or even reliably explain it's (this VA) than having a list of what may or may not be accurate credits. Also, soundalikes to other actors are possible for these.

Back