Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Have you gotten this game yet?

• Total voters
When this game comes out, I'll be waiting for Matpat to deconstruct Super Mario Bros Wonder to ridiculous degrees and try to frame Mario as a villain.
Game Theory would be much more interesting or fun to watch if their theories actually were based on a minimum of research and not just cherry-picked anecdotes. I stopped watching them way back during the "Mario is a communist?" video where they demonstrated both a super surface level knowledge of the Mario universe and what communism even means as a word.

Game Theory would be much more interesting or fun to watch if their theories actually were based on a minimum of research and not just cherry-picked anecdotes. I stopped watching them way back during the "Mario is a communist?" video where they demonstrated both a super surface level knowledge of the Mario universe and what communism even means as a word.
That's also what kinda makes them funny.

Though with regards to Kirby, he never really considered all of the good things he did.

Film Theory is a lot better because at least Gravity Falls has some lore to it. Plus he correctly analyzed that Doofenshmirtz's first plan back in Phineas and Ferb wouldn't work because Aluminum isn't magnetic. (I only learned that from his video btw)

'Sorry, but your castle is Bowser now.'

spoiler regarding the game's bosses

you thought having to fight a koopaling in every world is boring?

get this: now you only fight bowser jr with minor variations between each battle. and bowser at the very end, obviously.

It's out now, very pretty. Not really challenging to veteran players ... But still a lot of fun!
Reminds me of Yoshi's Island in a lot of ways..

Fun fact, the different color toads and yoshis have different voices !

I believe I figured out how online play works to not overcrowd your screen,
1) it filters out other players using the same character as you. Both in courses and world map, you'll only see players who are using different characters than you.
2) For courses, it pairs you with 3 other people who got in most recently as you. Once it hits 4 people the room is closed even after others leave the room it won't add more..
On top of that, it won't pair any copy characters in courses, it makes sure everyone in the course is playing a different character.

I do not know the max volume of players per world map.. but it seems to have a cap.

And on the contrary, so you're not alone,
If you enter a course that no one else is currently in, the game will throw in ghost data of people who cleared the course before, including their standees that can rescue you.

With this said, I've yet to try the with friends feature..

Last edited:
I've created a poll for this thread! Also, I just received this game by mail order, so I can start to play it like many people who have gotten it.

Thank you for reading.

For those of you folks who have it and beat it already over the weekend, which level was your favorite?

I think mines has to be Flight of the Bloomps. It was very reminiscent of a Yoshi's Island level with how it was structured (Specifically, it reminds me of World 4-3's "Don't Look Back!", with the rising multicolored balloons and the giant red balloon ride at the end), and I just liked the main mechanic of bouncing off of the pink and green Bloomps. Plus, it has the Athletic music theme which I really like. It was very well made and decently challenging overall for a 4 star level.

Got mine Fri.!
Overall, the music and colors in some places reminds me of "Newer Super Mario Bros." (which I watched on YouTube years ago, and thought looked nice).

Just like 3DW distinguished "Goombas" (the original ones with two part bodies that squish with one jump) from "Galoombas" (the SMW version with one part body and has to be kicked away); I had been saying they should make a distinction between the original Koopas that stay in their shell, and the ones from SMW that pop out of their shell (I would have called them "Kaloopas"), and this is what they've now done with these snail creatures.

If There's One Legitimate Complaint I have with Wonder;

It's how we ONLY Ever get to Fight against Bowser Jr for ANY Boss Battle that ISN'T against the Final Boss, aka King Bowser

Seriously, Why can't they come up with Better Boss Battles with as Much variety to them as the Levels themselves;

Heck; They could've gone with Original Bosses like they did for the FIRST New Super Mario Bros on the DS; with Garbage-tier Graphics. . .

Heck; the Koopalings could've had Different Wonder Effects for Each one[The One time that the Koopalings WOULD'VE been interesting to fight against; due to how different each one could've been with Unique & Interesting Wonder Effects]

But NOPE. . .
They ONLY Gave us Bowser Jr as the Only Boss Battle that isn't against the Final Boss

Seriously. . .

Why is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze able to give us Different Boss Battles ALONGSIDE Unique Standard Levels; But they Can't do the SAME thing for Super Mario Bros Wonder?!!

Seriously; If they can give us BOTH Unique Memorable Levels AND Unique Memorable Bosses in DKC: TF; They SHOULD'VE done the same for SMBW!

Here's hopes they release more playables,
Rosalina is a good candidate, and it would be really interesting if Waluigi got a chance to shine.
TBH. . . I'd Really love to see a Playable Mayor Pauline[I Feel like Her Pantsuit is MUCH more SFW; & much more fitting for the game's E Rating]

Yeah, unfortunately the bosses in Mario Wonder are definitely boring. A very strange decision for a game that is trying to make itself pop out.

I can definitely see DLC or a sequel to Super Mario Wonder. I think the developers still have some ideas on the table for this game that some sort of addition would not be boring. (Sort of similar to Mario Galaxy 2)

Yeah, unfortunately the bosses in Mario Wonder are definitely boring. A very strange decision for a game that is trying to make itself pop out.

I can definitely see DLC or a sequel to Super Mario Wonder. I think the developers still have some ideas on the table for this game that some sort of addition would not be boring. (Sort of similar to Mario Galaxy 2)
Hopefully; with Better Bosses that AREN'T Just the Player fighting Bowser Jr!!

Seriously; Take influence from Tropical Freeze; a game that has BOTH Unique Standard Levels and Unique Bosses that are Also Different Characters!!

If You can Offer such Variety with the Levels; offer variety with the boss battles!! as in MORE Than just Bowser Jr

Back