Mario Characters who are dead or forgotten

Out of all Yoshi characters that never returned, we have the cute little Melon Bug and Muddy Buddy

SMW2_YI_Melon_Bug.png
Muddybuddy.png

These two are like the only helpful guys from Yoshi's Island to never return in future Yoshi games. Poochy goes on to become a recurring staple in the series while we did see Huffin Puffin in future entries such as Mario Party and Yoshi's Wooly World.

The fact that Melon Bug never returned is even weirder when you realize he was potentially the first original Yoshi's Island character ever designed.

A moment of silence for Toadsworth and all other unnamed Chancellor's of the mushroom kingdom.

toadsworth, he and a magikoopa, notable mario characters who openly says extremely crass words.

why is toadsworth even british anyway does like britain exist in the mario universe

(edit: yeah it does we got london loop and sometimes sonic plays the olympic games there with mario)

I will never forget Cluckboom

Koopa Kids have seemingly been erased from Mario history altogether. Bowser Jr. certainly made them quite redundant. Also shoutout to the Kleptoad, appearing on a single planet in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Midbus isn't just never gonna come back, he's probably dead in canon. Quite upsetting I like the funky pig dude.

Top 10 dead/forgotten/underused Mario enemies (well, at least in the mainline series):

10. Spindrift from Super Mario 64.
9. Sushi from Super Mario 64.
8. Cataquack from Super Mario Sunshine.
7. Draglet from Super Mario 3D Land.
6. Skeeter from Super Mario 64.
5. Ghost Vase from New Super Mario Bros Wii.
4. Whimp from Super Mario Galaxy 2.
3. Splunkin from New Super Mario Bros DS.
2. Rex from Super Mario World.
1. Shy Guy from Super Mario Bros 2.

Last edited:
Denizens of Sarasaland, the enemies and fairy from Wario's Woods, just about every character and enemy from Super Mario RPG and the first three Paper Mario games, all the characters and enemeis from Yoshi's Story and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, Baby DK, all the unique enemies from the first NSMB game (Snailicorn ftw), Psycho Kamek, Toadiko, all the unique enemies and characters from Sunshine,

I will predict that King Ka-Thunk's name will be brought up in this forum less than five times this year, and most posts that acknowledge his existence will be from me.

King Ka-Thunk had only one post acknowledging his existence in 2022, and that one post was exclusively from me.

If there's going to be a Double Dash 2, then I want King Ka-Thunk and Sorbetti as partners.

Oh man forgotten/neglected Mario characters are my specialty.

The entirety of the Beanbean Kingdom deserves to be acknowledged outside Superstar Saga and a few subsequent M&L games. Such a fun location full of fun characters. I understand not bringing Fawful or Cackletta back in a story driven game, because their arcs are finished, but even that shouldn't matter for games that aren't story driven (like the games with rosters, wink wink). But I want to visit the Beanbean Kingdom in a 3D Mario game and meet up with Prince Peasley, fight Popple, talk to the funny green people.

I also think certain characters who were recurring in the RPGs and weren't killed off should regularly appear in other Mario games too, like the Merlon family (especially since each of their appearances was different enough to justify a trend of each game having its own unique take on the Merlon family, and that doesn't need to be limited to just Paper Mario, but not even that series uses them anymore). Species like Whacka and Koopatrols should reappear too. As for characters phased out way too soon, bring back Kammy Koopa and give her a 3D appearance and a dynamic with Kamek. They don't need to be mutually exclusive. All of Mario's partners from the first two Paper Mario games have merit to keep appearing in the general franchise, given how they shared entire adventures with Mario it doesn't make sense for them to just never be acknowledged again (outside catch cards in SPM)

Looking outside the RPGs, Toadsworth definitely needs to be brought back. The way Nintendo treats him since his last proper appearance in 2013 is evil. No, I don't want a regular ass Toad filling his role. Give the funny old man pls. Also bring back Koopa Kid, Wart, and Tatanga. The former has a finalized 3D design already, and the latter two were main villains in core Mario games, there's no reason to leave them in the dust. Make them bosses in a 3D Mario game. At the very least they'd make fun additions to the spinoff rosters, much more justified than shit like Pit Crew Toad of each color as a separate slot. Speaking of Toad, bring back distinct Toad characters outside Toad and Toadette and their variants. I already mentioned Toadsworth, but there's also so many more good designs left to rot, like Mushbert, Shroomlock, Mushroom Shop Clerk etc from the Mario Party series and Toadbert, Heff T., etc from the RPGs. The Mario franchise sleeps on 99% of its characters, most of which have more merit to keep around than Nintendo gives them. It just so happens that a good number of them originated in the N64 and GameCube eras, and there was a very obvious change in priorities in the mid-Wii era when there was a sharp dropoff in original characters in Mario spinoffs, some games affected more than others. I don't know for sure what that change was but I firmly disagree with it regardless.

I think in terms of actual volume, Mario as a series has more one-offs and characters who vanished after just a few games total than it has near-perfect attendees.

I mean it's common across so many franchises. JRPGs for example usually has a rotating cast within their series. Gaming in general has far more one-offs than it does recurring characters.

I will predict that King Ka-Thunk's name will be brought up in this forum less than five times this year, and most posts that acknowledge his existence will be from me.

King Ka-Thunk had only one post acknowledging his existence in 2022, and that one post was exclusively from me.

If there's going to be a Double Dash 2, then I want King Ka-Thunk and Sorbetti as partners.
Yesssss long live King Ka-Thunk!

Favorite boss design in 3D World

Some characters are indeed straight up conceived as one-off members of the cast. Others, however, albeit conceived and promoted as fixed members of the Mario family, were later replaced by better designs/characters. Koopa Kids and Donkey Kong Jr. are two examples that come to my mind (and some enemies from the older games, like the Big Bass, whose role is nowadays filled by the Cheep Chomp and the Porcupuffer). Though I'm not sure on the status of Wart/Mamu.

BrightonTwila_Miracle_OddCard_6.png

Can we have these two idiots back even as a cameo? It was a huge mistake they didn't even appear in the box for the game they're in!

I didn't even know Twila was female until a later point. She always came off as like a wizard or something. Fun fact: Brighton is female in the German version? They also have voices in the Japanese version, which I don't understand why that got removed in international versions.

They're also star of the stupidest Mario Party story yet. Mario Party's stories THRIVE on argument, and this time it's Mario and friends, who usually fight each other for being the Super Star (whatever that means) trying to get two idiots to shut up. Mario also proposes a fishy banking scheme in the process.

Brighton and Twila are so awesome they even have a Shroom section devoted to them. With a tactic endorsement: " Both Twila and Brighton are excellent characters with much potential. "

Back