This is Nintendo once eshop closes

Haven't we already gotten past the point where the only way to buy on Wii U and 3DS eShop is to use a pre-paid code? And I have a hard time finding such codes on places like eBay and Amazon

But yeah the message of the video is true that it's ridiculous for Nintendo to just remove the only legit way of getting these old games and offer no alternative when there's no reason not to have them on Switch

But yeah the message of the video is true that it's ridiculous for Nintendo to just remove the only legit way of getting these old games and offer no alternative when there's no reason not to have them on Switch
Porting games costs time and money, they can't just push a button and have the game work on Switch.

And if you're talking about just having backwards compatibility, well ignoring the fact that there's no way to use 3DS cards or Wii U discs with the Switch, Nintendo has only ever done hardware-based backwards compatibility (GBA, DS, and 3DS all had their predecessors CPU as a coprocessor and the CPUs of the Wii and Wii U were specifically designed to be backwards compatible with their predecessor as well - incidentally this is also why you can run GBA games on the 3DS and GameCube games on the Wii U, the hardware-based backwards compatibility means those systems are literally running as a DS and Wii and that includes having the same backwards compatibility as those systems, it just wasn't enabled officially [excepting the GBA Ambassador games on 3DS]). The Switch has completely different architecture compared to it's predecessors.

Now as far as emulation goes, the Switch can likely handle 3DS emulation just fine, but probably not Wii U emulation, so you'd still be SOL there.

Porting games costs time and money, they can't just push a button and have the game work on Switch.

And if you're talking about just having backwards compatibility, well ignoring the fact that there's no way to use 3DS cards or Wii U discs with the Switch, Nintendo has only ever done hardware-based backwards compatibility (GBA, DS, and 3DS all had their predecessors CPU as a coprocessor and the CPUs of the Wii and Wii U were specifically designed to be backwards compatible with their predecessor as well - incidentally this is also why you can run GBA games on the 3DS and GameCube games on the Wii U, the hardware-based backwards compatibility means those systems are literally running as a DS and Wii and that includes having the same backwards compatibility as those systems, it just wasn't enabled officially [excepting the GBA Ambassador games on 3DS]). The Switch has completely different architecture compared to it's predecessors.

Now as far as emulation goes, the Switch can likely handle 3DS emulation just fine, but probably not Wii U emulation, so you'd still be SOL there.
I actually tried citra on Switchroot Android (dream team specifically) and it wasn't very playable. My switch can barely do super paper Mario which is one of the lighter Wii/gc games. But I was more talking about the virtual console games (edit: the video on op specifically mentions game boy games which afaik are not available on a non jailbroken switch)

Last edited:

nintendo is a multi billion corp. they can afford dragging a couple files from their ROM folder into a game boy NSO launcher.

Last edited:
they are offering these games on NES, SNES and N64 online, they could sell them as well
Nintendo feels it's probably more cost effective (read: gets more subs to their online service) to have these games tied to their online service than selling them individually.

Do people not know that hosting an eshop costs money in of itself?

I doubt there is anywhere near enough people buying 3ds or wii u eshop games to justify the continued price of keeping it active.

the issue in and of itself isn't that these two shops are closing (i would hope to god people don't reasonably expect them to operate until the human race ceases to exist), it's that nintendo's pulling the plug on a couple virtual console releases without offering an alternative on their newest, currently supported system. case in point: nintendo is not currently offering games from the game boy line, nintendo ds, and wii on the switch, despite already having been integrated into an official, digital medium of acquisition. most these games, unless released in separate collections by their proprietary company, will soon no longer be legally acquirable until further notice. (second-hand acquisition of your intended product is not always an option.)

and not even that would be a problem; ROMs and such propagate on the internet at unimaginable rates and can be very easily accessible, but nintendo has such a fucking obtuse axe to grind with piracy despite mishandling their very own ecosystem of video games, that it's no wonder why people complain.

Last edited:
Which to me begs the question, if you want these games why do you not own them already while they were available?

You're probably using a general you, but I already got all of the digital-exclusive games I wanted on Wii U and 3DS, including virtual console releases.

I bought everything I wanted, but many switch owners likely never had a Wii U or 3ds especially Wii U, which had much much lower sales than the switch

Which to me begs the question, if you want these games why do you not own them already while they were available?
But what if there are problems like your devices broke, or you have strict parents who got rid of them? Even saying "just buy another one" like the price might be several hundreds of dollars to get a new console, and most people would much rather have it added to the package they're already paying for on Switch Online.

Or sometimes I want to play a game again and it's not there while my old systems are too much work to set up, if they're working, and I have to pay subscription for games that aren't necessarily my game even if all my games (usually it isn't).

Or sometimes I want to check out old games I've missed because I decided to not be born during that time and they were generally out the radar until more recently.

Or sometimes I want to play Super Mario Kart again but I payed for it and played it in Wii and now I have to pay for it again and don't have my previous saves, and then I say screw that noise I ain't double dipping this time and I won't invest in Nintendo's retro games services again because it's not worth it.

Last edited:
But what if there are problems like your devices broke, or you have strict parents who got rid of them? Even saying "just buy another one" like the price might be several hundreds of dollars to get a new console, and most people would much rather have it added to the package they're already paying for on Switch Online.

Thats unfortunate but hardly Nintendo's problem.

Correct. Hence why you should spend money for a vpn instead.

My last purchase was Kid Icarus: Uprising. On the day BEFORE credit cards could no longer be used.

Back