Would you like another sprite based platformer?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
I know the NSMB series uses sprites but it's soon going to be 10 years since we actually got a brand new one so in comparison to another game in the Mario universe, think more of Wario Land: Shake It, high quality fully 2d sprites that are definitely not possible on older systems where the older 2d Mario platformers were on.

A lot of indie games use this to great acclaim and I think this would be a good mix up from NSMB series, I think I said this before but I would love it to be based on the art style of Super Mario Kun

A sprite-based platformer would be quite nice, and I wouldn't mind it if they did something new. So like perhaps using the official artwork for 2D Mario and realising it as that game's art style. There are just some things that 2D have its advantages with, like the ability to make artwork that is imaginative, kind of like Rayman Origins/Legends.

I can understand if it's not a territory to return to, since spritework is a lot of work compared to using models, and might have little return compared to using 3D models. This might have to do with the stigma that 3D have compared to 2D, which can also be seen for animated films where 3D is the norm at this point, with 2D being rare except for animated films in the East, especially Japan (where the artform is still thriving). I imagine that modders would also be disappointed that the game might not be as easily moddable if sprites were used.

Thank you for reading.

There's so many ways sprite-based platformers can work, from something like Wario Land: Shake It's hand-drawn art style to higher res sprites like in Paper Mario games. You can either make it elaborately frame-by-frame or tween-animated. One popular suggestion is to use that particular 2D artstyle and while it's a common suggestion, it's a really good one to use, and people would love to see a platformer in that style.

800px-NCL_2017_calendar_1.jpg

Me and a lot of people would still like to see a game in this style

it can even be functionally identical to new super mario bros games, but people would largely excuse it because of the art style being so charming

Sprites refer to any 2d graphics games so yes they do have to be sprites. Not necessarily frame by frame, sprites can be keyframed too like how Paper Mario did it in TTYD and SPM.

It's also very possible for them to use 3D models but model them in such a way that they resemble 2D sprites.

That way, they can still have the efficiency of making models while at the same time being able to render within the pixelart style.

Basically, pre-rendered sprites being tweaked to look more like a pixelated sprite!

Back