Overrated Mario Characters

I mean, it's not like there is any real continuity, for all we know the MvsDK series could be an alternate universe where Mario is a toy maker, Pauline is his girlfriend and he only has to deal with DK's shenanigans every now and then.

I feel DK's shenanigans in Mario vs DK is in character. DK's friendly but he's just super frustrated and takes out his frustration on people around him. Maybe I just like seeing DK losing eh.

He's in-character inasmuch as he didn't really put Pauline in any danger but he's also not really known to throw tantrums in his own games so... 🤷‍♂️

He's in-character inasmuch as he didn't really put Pauline in any danger but he's also not really known to throw tantrums in his own games so... 🤷‍♂️
He throws tantrums when he loses in the Mario spinoff sometimes. Remember when you throw baseballs at him in Superstar Baseball, he charges at you? When he gets a double bogey or higher in Mario Golf? How about Mario Strikers Charged where he slams the ground? How about that LINE sticker of him enraged?

I forgot to mention her. She's also overrated to me. Idk, she yells louder? Otherwise she seems like "not Peach" to me. I also hate how she's everyone's go-to pairing for Luigi to the point where the clickbait channels just assume they're a canon couple. She's also the only character original to Super Mario Land, a game full of very stand-out designs, to return as part of the main cast. Coincidentally, she's the least stand-out design in that game, being a damsel in a dress that waits in the room after the boss

Certain... passionate fans of Daisy have also played a role in souring my view of her.

I'm glad to see the issue with luaisy shown and talked abt. i hate how widespread it is even tho its probably the most lazy luigi ship. its like waluigi x rosalina back in the day, people only really pair the two up because "oh well luigi needs a princess too" and I'm always like luigi IS THE PRINCESS!!! like smhsmh.

and the whole we are daisy community is bad. so much drama, I think their twitter was taken down twice? and they had so many discord server owners I couldn't keep track.

anyway luigi is like VERY overrated. when any fanfic I read that is made in 2021 still trys to paint luigi as this underdog character I just cant take it seriously anymore. luigi is no longer an underdog, luigi is probably almost more popular than Mario at this point if you count his varients.

I'm just tired of "luigi is underrated love luigi because nobody loves him" just please, shush

I don't even know if Mario is underrated since he polls high consistently, just not as high as like Luigi or Yoshi.

See that's the thing about making statements about something "overrated" or "underrated" (underrated is a bit more positive and less toxic at least, it's more like, hey I like this thing that I think people tend to hate and thus I have less ire about it). It's all reliant on personal anecdotes, what you personally perceive. There's not much grounding behind it other than what you saw online and you're heavily biased from the sites you visit.

I guess Luigi is overrated too, but I'm very much one of the people making him overrated lol. I love him, he's always adorable with his antics and the more brotherly moments with Mario the better. Fuck the whole "Luigi is filled with bitter jealousy of his brother, who has abused and stepped on him his whole life, and they're both trying to put each other down" narrative. It's not "Mario vs. Luigi," it's "Mario & Luigi" and they love each other.

Mr. L is a whole other beast, some people say he's Luigi's deepest feelings brought out, but I'd say he's a corruption of the feelings that Luigi, like anyone, feels sometimes. Luigi may sometimes feel left out, and a bit jealous, but he always knows Mario cares for him and would never consider an evil act towards him. Mr. L is basically a corruption that removes the kindhearted, loving brother from his mind, only leaving the negative emotions. Mr. L isn't "who Luigi was always deep down."

If we were talking other big franchises like Marvel or DC, I could go on a spiel about Iron Man, Punisher, Batman, and Joker being overrated.
But when it comes to Mario, I feel like all the characters are deserving of adoration. Like.. I really can't think of any that shouldn't be.. and they all seem to be adored so..

I'm glad to see the issue with luaisy shown and talked abt. i hate how widespread it is even tho its probably the most lazy luigi ship. its like waluigi x rosalina back in the day, people only really pair the two up because "oh well luigi needs a princess too" and I'm always like luigi IS THE PRINCESS!!! like smhsmh.

This is kinda why I said it felt like a "pair the spares" sort of scenario. It's totally okay if people ship it of course but it just feels like pairing her with Luigi because he's the second character and she's the second princess.

It's kind of a shame there's such a limited pool of men we could ship Luigi with.

anyway luigi is like VERY overrated. when any fanfic I read that is made in 2021 still trys to paint luigi as this underdog character I just cant take it seriously anymore. luigi is no longer an underdog, luigi is probably almost more popular than Mario at this point if you count his varients.

I'm just tired of "luigi is underrated love luigi because nobody loves him" just please, shush

I mean, it is true that in canon Luigi still does get kicked around some. Super Mario 64 DS had the Toads constantly talking about how unmemorable he was, and Paper Jam was filled to the brim with Luigi-related insults. Fandom-wise I think he's very popular, but it's kind of inconsistent in-universe and often leans more toward "he is not popular, especially not as much as his brother".

I guess Luigi is overrated too, but I'm very much one of the people making him overrated lol. I love him, he's always adorable with his antics and the more brotherly moments with Mario the better. Fuck the whole "Luigi is filled with bitter jealousy of his brother, who has abused and stepped on him his whole life, and they're both trying to put each other down" narrative. It's not "Mario vs. Luigi," it's "Mario & Luigi" and they love each other.

Yeah, that narrative sucks. I can see why people would grow tired of Luigi fans when a lot of them put it forward that Mario beats his brother down. It bothers me partly because Mario is very important to Luigi's image in the games he does get any fleshing out in; Mario is an inspiration to him, and someone he views as genuinely kindhearted and compassionate. He feels this way even deep within his subconscious recesses, and you can tell as much because when he's hypnotized as Mario in Superstar Saga, the way he acts is confident, yet kindhearted.

(It's a way better telling of Luigi's psychology than whatever it is MatPat is saying he must secretly feel.)

Mr. L is a whole other beast, some people say he's Luigi's deepest feelings brought out, but I'd say he's a corruption of the feelings that Luigi, like anyone, feels sometimes. Luigi may sometimes feel left out, and a bit jealous, but he always knows Mario cares for him and would never consider an evil act towards him. Mr. L is basically a corruption that removes the kindhearted, loving brother from his mind, only leaving the negative emotions. Mr. L isn't "who Luigi was always deep down."

Oh, Mr. L. I could really go on about how much I dislike what some aspects in the fandom has done to him. I find that I'm intrigued by him in a different way than a lot of the fandom. Like, why did he instinctively make a Brobot? Clearly he doesn't remember that Mario is his brother while in that brainwashed state, so could it be him subconsciously filling in the empty space left behind? Obviously Mr. L is a perversion of Luigi's true character to some degree, but I don't think he actually reflects deep-seated feelings; I think it's more like the brainwashing crossed a few wires that changed his relationships and removed them and that impacted who he became afterward.

Of course, you'd be forgiven if you'd never played Super Paper Mario for thinking that Mr. L is actually some suave, seductive, secret hidden confident side that Luigi has. Yeesh.

I'm not sure if Mr. L is overrated so much as he's often twisted from what he actually represents in the game he comes from.

Meanwhile I'm all like "Mr L is just a parody of Yatterman"

I don't even know if Mario is underrated since he polls high consistently, just not as high as like Luigi or Yoshi.
I get that feeling sometimes, because Mario by far has the highest volume of negative portrayals despite his positive character. Things like the Game Theory on Mario portraying him as a villain and being mental, the SuperMarioGlitchy4 videos portraying Mario as callous and overall unsavoury, a few popular Mario videos portraying Mario as a bad guy, and so on. The people who believes this might be a minority, but because of the huge exposure Mario gets for being treated as a bad guy, a case can be made for how he's underrated.

I agree on this too. It's difficult to argue that Luigi is underappreciated when he's got so much adoration and respect (e.g. he has a series that portrays him as an only-surviving hero that rescues his friends), and portraying him as disrespected felt disconnected from reality.

Thank you for reading.

Mario is not underrated. Casual fans and first-timers pick him all the time, and he's the posterchild of Nintendo, he gets by far, the most love and assets by them. I think his "ratedness" is pretty spot on, he's very well-beloved for a reason.

He's a cool guy.

And he got good taste in colours.

Back