Guilty pleasure games

Sir Pentious

I have a problem
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Games you enjoy despite them often being considered bad or not up to standard, either by the general public or their respective communities.

For me it's probably Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer and maybe Mario Run?

starbound but only because the dev/publisher, chucklefish, is piss terrible and even this game had some 😬 developmnt stories but i . cant drop it for very long...
uhh i have no games i play that are commonly considered bad . like people dunk on mysims but its not a guilty pleasure its jusr a regular pleasure

Pretty much anything I play. Among Us, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Smash Brawl, heck sometimes I'll just download a random mobile game on my phone because some of them can have pretty fun puzzles.

LEGO Indiana Jones 2 is often seen as one of the weaker lego games, but I love it.
Shoot, really? That's the only one I've put a lot of time into and it's great.

I'm not sure if this counts as I haven't played the game, but Sonic 06 is a guilty pleasure for me just because of videos showing its glitches.

I think the game that closest qualifies is Yoshi's New Island but idk I modded its soundtrack and I didn't play much of the original which was the top twp concerns people had for that game :V

I guess Sonic in general is a guilty pleasure of mine? Like I'm not gonna say that all Sonic games are bad, but a good chunk of them are and (unless they're completely broken like Sonic 06 or whatever) I'll even get enjoyment out of the bad ones.

Like I completely seriously loved Shadow the Hedgehog as a kid and I still like it today because it's so ridiculously edgy and loops back around to being great.

Also all Sonic games have banger soundtracks so that's at least a plus of playing them.

yooka laylee is great fight me

I mean theres some stuff i really dont like, like the minecart sections and a majority of the bosses, but honestly as a die-hard banjo fan i really liked the experience

Actually come to think of it due to the last post Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a definite guilty pleasure. It's the weakest Paper Mario game I've played, and I can see why most people see it as the worst Mario RPG, but it's still fun and how one interacts with each level is really enjoyable. It just can't hold a candle to 64, Super, or (as of me playing it right now) Origami King.

Last edited:
Wait no, forget everything I said before except for Among Us.

I still play Roblox occasionally even tho my bio there says I'm retired from that place.

Shadow the Hedgehog for sure. I not only have played that game to death, but I've A-ranked every single mission within the game and have even beaten the Expert Mode. A take that I know people won't agree with, but I don't find the game all that difficult to control, and I think the story has some good moments here and there, and the CG cutscenes are *chef's kiss*. Not to mention that the music is pretty good generally and some levels are very fun to play (I'm thinking Space Gadget) with this.

Also, you can't tell me you don't find this groovy. C'mon.

I agree with a lot of the general criticisms about the story of the game, and I do think that gimmicks go underutilized and that its story structure is... Yikes. But once you get a handle of the controls the game itself is pretty fun to play, and I won't lie and say I don't get a chuckle out of some of the cutscenes. This is not me suggesting that Shadow the Hedgehog is a good game by any stretch, but I think it's unfair to put it on the level of those notoriously bad games that aren't even fun to play.

I would say Friday Night Funkin' is also a bit of a guilty pleasure if it weren't for the fact it's so popular. I do love the game, but I'm also aware there are better rhythm games out there and the game definitely displays the fact that it was made in a game jam during a weekend. That being said, the mod community for that game is absolutely incredible. So much creativity on display there! There's even a few Mario mods in there. I'll show you one of my personal favorites that I've played so far.

EDIT: I saw Twilight Princess mentioned here, and maybe I'd include that as a guilty pleasure... Except I think Twilight Princess is genuinely a good game and people on the internet are just mean. (I don't seriously mean the "mean" thing, I'm memeing, but my general point is genuine.) I don't feel guilty or shy at all about liking a genuinely good game people give a hard time because they can't help themselves in comparing it to Ocarina of Time or because it's not Wind Waker.

Last edited:
Back