The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

Wait, this threads still getting posts?
u9kelvkv9u521.jpg

I've known about this thing since 2018. My statements on the movie has since remained the same because all we know about the movie has largely remained the same.

Oh that's obvious, I don't mean just inject a game plot into the movie I just mean. Take inspiration. Don't spend the full movie on the same story-beats we know happens every Tuesday in the Mario world. Do something that Mario fans haven't seen before, in the same vein that some of the RPGs do. Subvert expectations, and not with random dance numbers, pop culture references and toilet jokes. Although given it's illumination, that may already be the expectation.

It's the first Mario big budget (as much as these movies are a big budget for this company) animated film. It's gonna more or less hit the beats you'd expect it to.

Even the Sonic movie despite setting it on earth was about Sonic defeating Eggman and saving the world.

I'm probably expecting the movie to change the Mario plot and, you know, give us something original.
I don't know about Illumination though...
Their movies....
They don't suck but, there pretty mediocre.

Last edited:
Their, they're....

I normally don't point out errors but the ones you made are genuinely a pothole for me.

Reactions: zel
First we had this banner on the left in the Los Angeles Tour of Mario Kart Tour at the end of July:
87882901-939C-40E6-9927-7A5E93D21F64.png

Now we have Foreman Spike in the movie… did Nintendo rediscover Wrecking Crew all of a sudden?

EDIT: In any case, it's always good when they bring up obscure characters in the universe, hopefully we'll have more surprises like this one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty hyped for this movie
It'll prolly be a basic film that will probably be really safe but it will also probably be a fine time

Another leak.

i do wonder what they'd make him look like however, either they'd modernize the old artwork or they'll give him a brand new design, which realistically speaking thatll probably happen

In that video, I found that Mario is a perv
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!  - Page 26 - Video Games - SSMB

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think anyone has ever made that observation before, ever. Good job, sparky.

What does this have to do with the thread, I don't know. I just hope we don't get scenes like that in the movie because that kind of joke stopped being funny like a decade ago.

Getting back to the movie all I hope is that it has something like a timeline of Mario
like the events of donkey kong first or something

If it's like Foreman Spike that's their boss, then that does make the story seem a little more interesting as a standard fare. Is this Spike going to be an asshole? I keep feeling like he'll be one, given he's a villain in the games. Or is he going to just be a cameo in some flashback? Is this backstory for why the Mario Bros. are plumbing instead of being a carpenter, that Mario and Luigi screwed up and lost their jobs? My mind is buzzing.

Or if it's like the enemy Spike (which is an odd choice), then idk it doesn't feel like there's as many possibilities.

Idk this is interesting we got new information for once. Got me a little excited especially at the mention of Spike. I still remember the thing is supposed to be out by like 2022. And I still remember how Wreck it Ralph 2 promised me a Mario in silver screen when sidelining him in the first one, but didn't even deliver that and we got what looks like a cringey movie that relies on already-dated trends, but Disney instead.

Back