Who and what is this Mario character, has he even made a canonical appearance?

kfc

haha funny
Pronouns
He/him
So a few weeks ago my dad gave me some of his old books, one of them is a Super Mario Bros 2 coloring/activity book. On the first page, I see this.
E80709A0-3090-42DF-B37A-CCACED0B4E0E.jpeg

What does everyone think of the Mushroom King? Do you think we should still consider him a canon part of the Marioverse, or should we consider him to be virtually retconned by Nintendo? I've heard arguments for both.

Personally, I think he's been retconned. If Nintendo wanted him to remain a part of the Marioverse, then he would be included in or at least mentioned by modern Mario games.

What does everyone think of the Mushroom King? Do you think we should still consider him a canon part of the Marioverse, or should we consider him to be virtually retconned by Nintendo? I've heard arguments for both.

Personally, I think he's been retconned. If Nintendo wanted him to remain a part of the Marioverse, then he would be included in or at least mentioned by modern Mario games.
Keep in mind that Nintendo doesn't even really care about canon at all when it comes to the Mario franchise, so nothing can really still be canon or retconned outside of the original media. It's really more about your personal headcanons and preference than anything.

I think the Mushroom King could potentially show up again for a surprise revival if Nintendo saw a place for him. It is odd that Peach is only a princess despite having no apparent monarch above her.

I suppose you could imagine the Mushroom Kingdom is like Liechtenstein or Andorra.

Although that would then beg the question of why isn't it the Mushroom Principality?

Back