#FreeMelee and #FreeSplatoon

THE END

I am infinite, I am nothing
I think you are aware of what happened but if you aren't, I'll explain.

A few weeks ago, Nintendo shut down the Big House Melee tournament which used a tool called Slippi which allows online play, and as you know, we're currently under lockdown. They said Big House supposedly used "Illegal copies of the game and used a mod of the game" which is actually fake, everyone used a legal copy of the game and Slippi is not a mod. Melee fans use the hashtag #FreeMelee to show the scummy acts of the company.

Recently, for the NintendoVS Splatoon tournament, teams used #FreeMelee as part of their names to show support for the Smash community. Nintendo, in a hateful response, cancelled the live stream because they didn't want to show the hashtag. Now, they have #FreeMelee and #FreeSplatoon. In response, fans organized their own tournament which raised more than $28000 in a single day, $25k for the price pool (which NintendoVS didn't have), and the rest for charity.

This story is yet to be concluded.

#FreeMelee #FreeSplatoon

Last edited:
Nintendo isn't looking good here.

For whatever reason, Nintendo really hates it when anyone enjoys their games in ways that they didn't intend. Personally if I were a game developer/company, I'd be glad that people enjoyed my game so much that they modified it to be able to play online.

Nintendo has gone a bit too far here, despite not playing Splatoon, I feel like if it wasn't a mod, then Nintendo shouldn't had took it down.

Nintendo is known for being a scummy company at times, hell, they even took down (temporarily) the biggest Smash event of all time!

Nintendo has gone a bit too far here, despite not playing Splatoon, I feel like if it wasn't a mod, then Nintendo shouldn't had took it down.
Honestly, even if it was a mod, who cares? I've never seen any game developer be as hostile toward the modding community as Nintendo and it makes no sense.

I really think Nintendo is wrong. They're so stubborn they can't think that this event can make Ultimate and Melee sell (even) better!

I think one of the reasons they don't wanna be affiliated with the Melee community is because of the overall.... reputation of the community.

they took away the only way to play melee in tournaments during the pandemic! lemme elaborate! and then ever since then they keep making more and more stupid things its almost comical lmao but also sad

Instead of collaborating with us, which will make us want to buy their games and so and so, they constantly hate us, making us hate them.

We don't fit in Nintendo's wallet.

What is happening at Nintendo isn't the fault of their developers and studios, It is the fault of the higher ups who keep the money.

They don't let us play Melee online in a tournament, let alone in a global pandemic! This is just nuts.

Instead of collaborating with us, which will make us want to buy their games and so and so, they constantly hate us, making us hate them.

We don't fit in Nintendo's wallet.
For being a company wanting to make money, Nintendo is really bad at making money. Gamecube games never made it to Virtual Console and are only very rarely re-released, the Switch doesn't even have a proper Virtual Console and still only has NES and SNES games, soundtracks rarely get official releases and they're even more rare outside of Japan, the whole amiibo fiasco years ago... Yet despite not wanting to sell us what we're willing to pay for, they crack down on YouTube soundtracks and emulators. To be clear, I don't support piracy, but if Nintendo refuses to provide a way to legally play those games, they really only have themselves to blame for it.

The GameCube games are rare as hell and what does Nintendo do?
Absolutely.
Nothing.
At.
All.
Switch Online would be worth it if we got a proper virtual console, but nooo it's Nintendo and we only get NES and SNES.

Sure, the community's somewhat toxic, but Nintendo isn't helping them. They aren't helping Melee... or Brawl, of Sm4sh, or Ultimate.
So, you sympathize with really toxic communities that are hated.... Of course, Nintendo's not gonna help them because they're toxic, and because of shitty business decisions.

Even if the Melee community was the nicest thing in the planet, Nintendo would treat them like this. I always find it strange people are so willing to cast aside the usual animosity toward a corporation so they can have the opportunity to disparage a fanbase they blanket dislike that gets mistreated by a corporation. I've seen this attitude in GameFAQs too, basically.

Even if the Melee community was the nicest thing in the planet, Nintendo would treat them like this. I always find it strange people are so willing to cast aside the usual animosity toward a corporation so they can have the opportunity to disparage a fanbase they blanket dislike that gets mistreated by a corporation. I've seen this attitude in GameFAQs too, basically.
Agreed, it has nothing to do with the Melee community itself, they just made the mistake of having fun wrong in Nintendo's eyes. Melee's had a competitive scene long before this happened and Nintendo never had an issue with them as far as I know.

I can only find Gamecube games at my (not) local flea market. Where's the re-releases, Nintendo?

Virtual Console on Wii U fucking skipped Gamecube and went straight to Wii.

Back