Who would win in a fight, Super Mario or Steve from Minecraft?

Steve is being added to Smash Bros so I figured this would be a cool subject to explore. How would they beat each other? For scenario one, they must beat each other with their general game mechanics. Lastly, for the second scenario, they can use whatever they want to defeat each other so long as their canon character allows it. Let the battle begin!

WHoRe YoU KIdDinG??
mARiO IsN''T eVeN iN sMaSH!!!

depends on how much power they get. steve could punch with his bare fists and lose, steve could use a netherite set or something and i dont know how thatd translate to marios damage values, or steve could just use creative mode and win LMAO

yeah i think it depends on what kind of gear steve has

If it's a cooking contest Mario could cook a killer spaghetti and Steve could bake a delicious cake and everyone wins.

Survival Mode Steve = Mario wins.

Hardcore Mode Steve = Mario wins.

Creative Mode Steve = Steve wins.

Disregarding stuff like creative mode or the white tanooki suit, I can see it going either way.

Mario, if Steve isn't in creative mode, or has good armour.

Mario. I always bet on Mario.

Let's start with Mario's jump attack. Steve is canonically about 6 feet tall, making the distance of a single block in Minecraft about 3 feet or so. In Minecraft, an anvil can instantly kill Steve when dropped on him from 11 blocks high (a grand total of 33-ish feet). Anything less won't kill him at full health, and even at that height, he can tank the hit if he's wearing a helmet. Now we know Mario definitely can't jump 33 feet, and although the guy eats a lot of spaghetti he definitely doesn't weigh as much as an anvil. Therefore, jumping is probably out of the question.

Next, punching. In Minecraft, Steve's punches do a half heart of damage assuming the opponent isn't wearing any armor. In comparison, Mario's punches in Mario 64 can kill a lot of enemies in one hit, however everything that can be killed usually dies in one hit in that game anyway. Does this mean Mario's punches are stronger than Steve's, or does Mario merely face weaker threats than Steve does? Possibly the latter. There are many enemies in 64 who just won't die to Mario's punches, such as Bullies, while given enough hits, Steve can theoretically punch anything in Minecraft to death. Because of this, I'm going to assume that at best Mario's punches are simply on par with Steve's. If Steve is unarmored and has no weapons, it's probably an even match between the two, but otherwise, Steve wins.

Next up, hammers. There aren't any hammers in Minecraft yet, so it's hard to say how much damage they'd do to Steve, but I'm going to place them around the damage levels of axes, the strongest weapon in the game. This could easily go either way depending on what hammer Mario actually has and what gear Steve is equipped with. If Steve has no armor, Mario probably wins this pretty easily and makes a Steve pancake.

Finally, fire, probably Mario's most effective tool in a battle against Steve. Unfortunately for Mario, Steve has a number of ways to counter this. Armor enchanted with Fire Protection would decrease the damage Steve takes, a shield can block Mario's fireballs, and a Potion of Fire Resistance can make Steve completely immune to the effects of fire. This matchup mostly depends on Steve's gear. If he doesn't have the right counters, he's probably literal toast, but if he does, there's not much Mario can do to him.

So my final answer is Steve. While it's possible for Mario to win, many of his attacks already don't do much to Steve and others can be countered with the right equipment. Steve also has the advantage of being heavily customizable in terms of equipment, leaving a lot of possibilities open for him, while Mario has little variation that could give him the upper hand.

We'll only be able to settle this by replacing Sonic with Steve in the next Olympics game.

Back