35th anniversary

Chair

yo that's a sick chair tho
Pronouns
He/him
guys, a bunch of cool stuff has been announced from Nintendo in this 35th Mario anniversary direct, go check it out if u haven't seen that already.
Idk about you, but I'm so excited about the super mario 3d world port, that comes with the bowser's fury thing, The super mario 3d all stars, mario kart house tour, super mario bros 35...
you could talk about all of it in this thread

Like an idiot I posted my thoughts in the 3D Game rumors thread without checking to see if there was a general direct threat.

Since my post would be more relevant here, I'll just quote it.

Okay. The rumors were real after all. Time for some general direct thoughts.

• They really made that battle royale Super Mario Bros fangame official huh? XD
  • Super Mario 3D World Port is cool. Probably won't buy it, but I do wonder what the hell is a "Bowser's Fury." Probably just a mode where you play as Bowser or something. That might convince me to buy it actually. I suppose it was never likely to happen, but I was lowkey hoping they'd bundle it with a Super Mario 3D Land remake, preferably with the improved controls and graphics of World. Great game, just had some weird controls IMO. Ah well. At least that rumor's been put to rest.
  • And of course, the big elephant in the room. Supa Mayro 3D All Stors. And NGL... I'm super excited it's real. At least, in theory. Please, don't get me wrong. But at the same time, I feel a little... underwhelmed. Maybe it's just my bias showing, but after the original All Stars improved the graphics and added a few interesting new things to their games, seeing these games (especially Super Mario 64 and Sunshine) look barely any different save a minor graphical upres was a bit of a letdown.
    • Super Mario 64 in particular, I was lowkey hoping it would have the extra content from the DS version, but it seems not to be the case. And also keeping Sunshine at 30 FPS despite there being a fully functional code on Gameshark making the original 60 FPS (and let's not get into what Dolphin can do) and excluding Galaxy 2 (especially the former) just has me confused. Worst of all is the limited digital release. I can deal with the other stuff, but... why. Just, literally fucking why. I don't even have 60 dollars right now. Yeah, maybe complaints will get Nintendo to see what a bullshit idea that is, but that won't change the fact that it even existed at one point. (And that's assuming they fold at all). I get the game isn't out yet. There's probably more to these ports than it seems. But based off just our current knowledge, I'm underwhelmed and can't help but feel like there's some missed potential.
  • Everything else I can take or leave.

Well, my main thought

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a mistake.

It is only for Yoshi fans who simply can't stop contemplating the beautiful animation of him going backward when he drags things with his tongue.

Seriously though, it's lolful that it wasn't even featured in the medley, even if I always thought that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was never as good as the first (if anything the intro already told you how the first one had a far greater aim and scope than the second).

It's funny how Nintendo seems to agree with me in the idea that SMG2, NSMB2 and NSMBU just couldn't really go beyond what the previous games already had done. I still think that NSMBU is a bit too much punished, as the attention to the art direction (especially with the Van Gogh-styled level) and Nabbit should have warranted it a better reception than it had.

Other than this, the lineup offered is pretty solid considering how we weren't going to get a new Super Maro game this soon. Super Mario Run too is going to get an update between November and December, but oddly they didn't announce it yet except on iOS because of changing OS support.

Donkey Kong Jr. is finally featured in Mario Kart Tour... but it's just his old sprite. Eh, better than nothing, I guess...

The Mario Kart game is cool in terms of concept, we'll see the execution. I like how now the Koopalings are basically the Mario Kart drivers, even the Super Nintendo World trailer confirmed that their true job is being Mario Kart racers, the role of bosses is now their second job at best.

The 3D All-Stars name is appropriate but effectively a bit excessive considering how even Dolphin can do more with Super Mario Sunshine, the SM64DS content would have been nice, but honestly between a basically-emulated SM64 and a basically-emulated SM64DS the first is still better in my opinion both in terms of historical relevance and in terms of gameplay (the controls of SM64DS are atrocious).

My thoughts:

it's all old games.

cool that people can play a select amount though (but only until an arbitrary date so people can try to lap it up before the deadline or else they get the fomo feeling this thing cultivates)

Funny how a lot of people are sour about Super Mario Galaxy 2 not getting any love, and yet you can probably say the same thing for New Super Mario Bros. Wii (it is the game that brought back the Koopalings from their very long drought).

I guess Nathaniel Bandy gets his big house track lol. Also I guess its a good thing I pre ordered 3D All Stars cause its a limited release.

it's mostly just a bunch of old games and bland merch so im not excited at all.

the most exciting part of the direct is mario-themed animal crossing furniture but even then, that one sounds like they deliberately held it back.

Funny how a lot of people are sour about Super Mario Galaxy 2 not getting any love, and yet you can probably say the same thing for New Super Mario Bros. Wii (it is the game that brought back the Koopalings from their very long drought).
With it being 2.5D, you can expect not to see it in Super Mario 3D All-Stars, plus it was featured in the medley.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, on the other hand...

nintendo officially acknowledging that galaxy 2 was a pointless sequel

Well yeah, no new title or project seems a bit let down. If the ports don't have many new things, itd be even worse.

Mario Kart Live is not meant for people with dogs (like me), but it looks pretty neat.
Super Mario Bros. 35 is going to be fuuuuuuuun.
G&W Super Mario Bros. is an interesting thing I probably won't be able to get.
Still not too excited on the Wii U to Switch ports, but I'm curious about Fury World.
But hey we can play all of the 3D Mario games on the Switch now!
...Except for Galaxy 2...

Also, I need those shoes.

I'm honestly kinda excited for the 3d world port, I've never played the actual game, hearing it's a good one. And well, Bowser's fury looks... interesting, I honestly don't know what to expect from it

One thing that I didn't like about the Direct was how many limited edition stuff there were. Some stuff I think would be cool to get, but aren't high priority for me, but with limited edition stuff, I'm forced to get it either now or never.

One thing that I didn't like about the Direct was how many limited edition stuff there were. Some stuff I think would be cool to get, but aren't high priority for me, but with limited edition stuff, I'm forced to get it either now or never.
Yeah. The only stuff that wasn't limited addition was the 3D World port. And that's a port! Bowser's Fury looks cool though. I'll definitely get that.

speaking of it, do you think this is the "mario kart 10" or do you think it doesn't count? kinda looks interesting, looking forward to buying it.
After looking at it more closely, it's definitely a spin-off. It makes sense, since 8 Deluxe is still doing well. At this point, I don't think a "full" Mario Kart will come until Nintendo's next console.

If the anniversary number has a 5 in it, I rarely expect anything good.

-Super Mario 3D All-Stars is hype. I don't care if there aren't any significant changes made, three great games in one package all making their Switch debut. I don't own any of the three, so this is definitely worth it for me, especially Sunshine since up until today scalpers were selling that for upwards of $70 or $80. No 64 DS content and no Galaxy 2 was a little disappointing, but I can live with the former and I still own the latter, so I'm totally getting this.

-Super Mario All-Stars is a nice addition despite the original versions of each game already being included in the subscription. Finally I can experience Worlds A-D of Lost Levels without beating the game 8 times! Good incentive to play through the main NES trilogy again, plus I still need to beat Mario USA...maybe this will make it more approachable. (To think this game alone was pretty much their entire 25th anniversary celebrations, lol)

-Super Mario Bros. 35 is a day 1 download, looks absolutely hype. Disappointed that it goes down in March though, guess I'd better make the most of it!

-Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch rerelease is cool for collectors. But me? I'll just stick with the two versions I've got on Switch.

-Mario Kart Live: Home Studio looks epic, but it's hard to justify $100 for something that looks like little more than a novelty. But who knows, maybe there's more surprises in store.

-Super Mario 3D World is a great game, and I'm glad more people can play it. But for me? I need to rebuy the game since my old copy doesn't work anymore, and I'm still gonna go with the U version. It's just so much cheaper. I also really hate Nintendo's insistence on delisting Selects Wii U games, like Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3, from the eShop to force you to get the $60 versions. And they'll probably do the same with 3D World. Not a surprise, but still scummy. Looking on the bright side though, Bowser's Fury looks epic and I'm eager to see more of it.

Overall a solid lineup. Definitely passes the 20th and 25th anniversaries, perhaps even the 30th.

Galaxy 2 will probably be dlc. I hope the same is true for 64DS but it's a lot less popular (In their eyes.) so I'm not sure.

It makes me more sour that Spyro and Crash legacy remasters were done better than this.

Back