Talk about unappreciated games

Blue

Plumbing my way into your hearts since 1985
Well I suppose I'll start the discussion.

I think Pokémon let's go is an excellent game. I think the reason they remade the Gen 1 games was probably so they could try out something new. I like how you can take all of your Pokémon with you anywhere you go. I would like to be able to sort my Pokémon into boxes but it's still a nice improvement. The textures look nice and are easy on the eyes. The catching mechanic is good. EV training is actually possible but it's completely optional so that's nice. This game I really enjoy. I don't think many people appreciate this game especially since sword and Sheild were a flop and people are to busy hating on that game.

But yeah.

I'm having fun with Let's Go Eevee. While I certainly prefer battles over Pokemon GO capture mechanics, the artstyle, music, and multiplayer are great. My dad and I play it together. But aside from the Pokemon themselves, it only barely feels like Pokemon, as training is heavily reduced and the only battles are trainer battles. More on that later.

As for my own take, more people need to play Project X Zone and Project X Zone 2. Plenty of crossover characters, solid gameplay that mixes grid tactics with fighting games, hilarious writing, and an actually decently-solid story as far as crossovers go.

Everyone knows my opinions on Sticker Star and Color Splash at this point so I'm putting a different example here:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse I feel is really fun and underappreciated. It's not a traditional Kirby game but still has all the same charm and personality as one. The graphics and soundtrack are absolutely amazing, the claymation cutscenes are...really good at what they do, and the gameplay itself, while different, is still really fun, especially in multiplayer. Perhaps being on the Wii U led to it being so overlooked, but it really is a brilliant game worth playing.

Spore's creators, whether it's creatures, vehicles, buildings, or adventures are underrappreciated as hell and are the main things long-term Spore players spend time in. Add mods, can you can practically make any character you like with the creature creator. The adventure creator is also incredibly deep and an amazing 3D environment creation tool, as it takes advantage of most editors in the game and while it's easy to use, you can learn so much cool tricks you can pull off with the plethora of pre-made assets and features it has (a lot of premade adventures are super cool and can give inspiration, alongside the huge amount of user-created ones, some which are very well-made, split into separate adventures, and are worth checking out). The Space stage has the charm of pollination, where you can beam up Mr. Game & Watch or 8-Bit Mario creatures and it's so great to encounter your and other people's creations (subscribe to a Sporecast to get creatures you want) while you play the game.

i think partners in time is possibly one of the most underrated games i have played to this day. whilst i could say super paper mario, that game is judging from my experience one of the more appreciated mario rpgs whereas partners in time whilst not disliked i really don't see that much recognition for. it is a brilliant game so anyone reading who has yet to play, do pick it up you won't regret it.

other underappreciated games i've played imo:
  • super paper mario
  • superstar saga
  • lego indiana jones 2
  • mario party 9
  • super mario land 2
  • super mario 3d land

super mario land 2
Ah yes, been playing through this and it really is a fun and wacky little game, definitely one of the Game Boy's best and doesn't get enough recognition

Speaking of which, Kirby's Dream Land 2 is another fantastic Game Boy platformer that's also often unfairly overlooked. There's also Kirby's Dream Land 3, the SNES sequel, that still gets a lot of undeserved hate and is often overlooked in favor of Kirby Super Star.

honestly, the mii games on the wii are incredibly underrated

sure, you have iconic games like the wii sports games, but i also own wii fit plus and wii party and no-one really seems to talk about them. despite being all exercises, wii fit is pretty damn fun, and the wii balance board is incredibly responsive. the plus version adds a few minigames, some of them are incredibly fun, even when there's a few that are just bad. it definitely helped me when i was a chonky boi.

wii party on the other hand is very similar to mario party, but it has miis instead of the usual mario characters. yeah, you could just play some mario party instead, but this game has some things done better than mario party. i think it's important we look at the wii's lineup of mario party games: mario party 8 is really good, heck maybe better than wii party, but it suffers from minigames where all you do is shake the wiimote and all that motion controls crap. mario party 9 is.....well, mario party 9. now there are several different game modes in wii party, one of them playing just like a mario party game, while you also have bingo, a game mode that's all about money, and a few others. there's also things like coop minigames and game modes, similar to super mario party's river survival, but with 2 players instead. this game had quite a few cool things and if you're looking for a good multiplayer game pick it up

The original super Smash Bros is kinda underrated
It certainly is. It's probably the most unassuming of Smash Bros. games but I really like it for that nature. I think it stands out the best among Smash Bros games for its simplicity. I keep coming back to this one compared to Brawl and vSmash 4 likely because the explosions are hilarious and the combat, I just like because it's so weird and busted at the same time. It's not talked about much but I really like how this one aged.

It certainly is. It's probably the most unassuming of Smash Bros. games but I really like it for that nature. I think it stands out the best among Smash Bros games for its simplicity. I keep coming back to this one compared to Brawl and vSmash 4 likely because the explosions are hilarious and the combat, I just like because it's so weird and busted at the same time. It's not talked about much but I really like how this one aged.
I like the game because of how quickly you can jump in and have some fun. The visuals and sounds will just wash away anything on your mind. Also explosions.

The sound effects are the best thing about the game. Also, the explosions are amazing because they're horribly strong, dealing a whopping 30% a pop (which exceeds probably final smash for some characters) that isn't quite matched in the later games.

I really like having items on high and being just motion sensor bombs and Bob-ombs. Have you ever tried quickly putting two motion sensor bombs on top of each other? Like, you find two of them pop out after a crate opens, and you just grab one, throw down, grab another, throw it down, and quickly leave? Smash Bros. is the only game that lets you do this (can't do it with Yoshi or Link iirc). if that thing explodes, it's instant 60% and the explosion is extra loud. It's hilarious.

So I know that I've probably brought this series up a thousand times before but Drawn to Life and it's sequel The Next Chapter are great hidden gems on the DS. The whole idea is that you get to draw your own protagonist and their weapons using the DS touch screen as well as various objects in the level and overworld, the story and characters are also very charming and wholesome.

Ghost Trick Phantom Detective also gets my recommendation, I replayed it recently and forgot just how goooooood the story was. Capcom really did it a disservice by not marketing it enough during it's original release on the DS.

Back