unpopular opinions

Like they're only just now letting you change the default browser and email apps, meanwhile Android's been able to change literally every single default app for years now.
Unfortunately I'm stuck on ios 12 so I don't even get this.

Anyway I really want browser addons and decent battery when

Sure, the whole "spy" thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but remember, this is a movie for KIDS.
Sure, it should be for the kids. Then if it was more focused on kids, it shouldn't have a plot be so contrived and convoluted and its twists make so little sense that even adults are completely baffled at it. But the "it's for kids excuse" doesn't hold up especially well when the very same company historically outputs smart movies made for children with adult acclaim.

It honestly baffles me how iOS devices are still missing what I consider to be basic OS features coming from my years of using Android devices.

Like they're only just now letting you change the default browser and email apps, meanwhile Android's been able to change literally every single default app for years now.
It's because Apple exerts a lot of control over what you can do to your device. Sure it *looks* and feels nice and slick but once you get a bit too attached, you start slamming your face against Apple's proprietary cage.

I'm no Android fan because, well, it's Google owned and Google is a multi-billion-dollar corporation as far as I'm concerned. But Apple's products are far worse and has an obnoxious fanbase that haven't ever really refuted any of the problems associated with the overpriced iOS devices.

Unfortunately I'm stuck on ios 12 so I don't even get this.

Anyway I really want browser addons and decent battery when
Even if they do implement browser addons, it'll probably just be proprietary locked so your options are limited.

This is an unpopular opinion? I thought this was a just a minority of older people who thought this.
I was under impression that at least in this forum people in general don't listen to much beyond soundtrack and maybe a few tidbits of classic rock? You can prove me wrong. But imo my experience with that makeup tend to be pretty scathing of modern music. Again though I listen to a lot of metal, and I'm aware metalheads are pretty infamous for disparaging modern music along with anything else that isn't quite metal (like nu metal).

By the way, rap and hiphop are fine genres. I think they have a seedy underbelly (especially with objectifying / disparaging women) at points but the musical output (especially from the 90s), well, I can't argue against that. I also am aware that rock and metal demographics (and who's performing the music) need more of a boost for diversity (also more women instrument players as opposed to just singers) too.

Piracy just isn't something we can really talk about extensively, but I will say it's completely justified in select cases. Particularly, I see little moral justification for opposing pirating textbooks (whose prices have ballooned out of control on top of spiraling tuition costs) or publicly-funded research papers (which a few very rich publishers control and profit off exorbitant prices, literally tens of thousands for a subscription, to the point Harvard complains about it) or otherwise trying to access a product that's extremely difficult to access i.e. the South American citizen that has to drop $120 for a video game or $600 for an old console.

There are thinkpieces that say piracy isn't the solution for these problems. Sure, it's illegal, and students risk being persecuted by law, but all those proposals on "open textbooks" or just a call for more reasonable prices are just empty, naive talk against giant corporations that'll employ all lobbyists and intellectual property lawsuits they can to sue that concept to the ground (an online emergency library was established to provide for the public during the pandemic; guess how publishers reacted). Those policies take time, effort, and money to implement, especially considering what opponents of those policies really are.

I will also say in terms of "stealing" from multinational corps, we really shouldn't be beginning to put them on the same moral dimension as ours.

I don't want to discuss a lot more about this subject as I feel it's the inappropriate thread for it, but that's my two cents on this entire thing.

i like black licorice

I figure it's an unpopular opinion to not like licorice. I dislike all kinds of licorice.

I figure it's an unpopular opinion to not like licorice. I dislike all kinds of licorice.
i can only think of 2 people other than me who i've met in my entire life who have expressed to me that they like black licorice
i found a couple statistics online stating that 47% of people, 8-12% of people, or 21% of people like black licorice, none of these numbers seem particularly verifiable and two of them seem to have explicitly come from very small sample sizes but they all agree that people who like black licorice are in the minority, potentially by quite a bit. there are also countless articles and pages talking about the phenomanon of people disliking black licorice and here just a couple that come up, this may seem like i'm just linking random shit that came up on google for "number of people who like black licorice", and i am, but i have a feeling you would not find similar things in a search for "number of people who like peanut butter" or "number of people who like chocolate"(if pages saying "why do people hate chocolate" or such do exist, they don't come up near the top of a google search, like the ones for licorice do(there actually was one with the title "the science behind the people who hate chocolate", but it's clickbait, and is actually talking specifically about people who dislike subsets of chocolate)), because liking those things actually is not an unpopular opinion, unlike liking black licorice

There is something wrong with these controllers. I don't know what people were taking to change the button layout of PlayStation and Xbox and trip you up if you're accustomed to the Nintendo layout. Especially the PlayStation one. X is the confirm and O is deconfirm/go back? What? In Japan, that's supposed to be the case (as in, O is confirm, X is deconfirm).

Look at the X button. I keep getting confused between X on Switch and X on Xbox.

Controller1.jpg

anthem-ps4-control.jpg

Controller4.jpg

I have to at least give credit to the GCN layout since the confirm (A) button is all big and easily pushed.

But when Xbox and PlayStation throw Quick Time Events at you? Forget it.

Yes I know some games let you remap things, but several don't and I've just didn't want to rely on that feature being there compared to just memorizing the layout. I got the hang of them, but those X and Y buttons... yeah.

Last edited:
I think the weirdest thing about controller layouts is how many people insist Nintendo are the ones who have it 'backwards' from the Xbox ABXY layout.

Nintendo's been using the BAYX layout since the SNES and even if you trace the origins of the Xbox layout to Sega (it's very clearly evolved from the layout of the six-button Mega Drive controller), that was still 1993, so three years after the SNES? (And then if you go even further back to I guess the two layout's earliest 'origins', Nintendo still wins cuz the Famicom used BA in 1983 and but the ABC layout that eventually evolved into the Microsoft one wasn't introduced until the Mega Drive in 1988)

Edit: Also multiplatform games where they don't even bother to adjust for the difference in layouts between Nintendo and MS are Hell.

I think Sony of America really screwed things up because they thought the blue X means confirm and red O means go back, maybe because blue is go and red is "stop"? Again, PlayStation followed more closely the BAYX layout for the Japanese control scheme. Xbox really didn't pay attention to how controllers are set up, hence its layout. It's indeed kinda lame that people insist Nintendo's the one mucking around with the layout only because PlayStation (nonJapanese layout) and Xbox follow each other.

Man you don't know how much I struggle going between Microsoft and Nintendo. Steam (if you have a Switch controller plugged in) at least has the option to go Nintendo button layout or Xbox controller layout.

Not sure it's unpopular to complain about separate controller layouts, but I don't see 'em being complained here very much so here I am.

I think the weirdest thing about controller layouts is how many people insist Nintendo are the ones who have it 'backwards' from the Xbox ABXY layout.

Nintendo's been using the BAYX layout since the SNES and even if you trace the origins of the Xbox layout to Sega (it's very clearly evolved from the layout of the six-button Mega Drive controller), that was still 1993, so three years after the SNES? (And then if you go even further back to I guess the two layout's earliest 'origins', Nintendo still wins cuz the Famicom used BA in 1983 and but the ABC layout that eventually evolved into the Microsoft one wasn't introduced until the Mega Drive in 1988)

Edit: Also multiplatform games where they don't even bother to adjust for the difference in layouts between Nintendo and MS are Hell.
yeah but some people will for example have grown up on the xbox 360 and gotten used to that, then get a switch as an adult and find it's confusing. release date =/= order in which someone experiences it

i mean, i grew up with the wii which came out in 2006 and the ds which came out in 2004

I was about to say 'how could someone have grown up with the Xbox 360, it didn't come out that long ago' but then I remembered it's 15 years old.

What the fuck.
Stay tight! You're going to need to get used to it! :new: And you will know the kids from 2010 are already 10, and all those little kids running around are from around 2015. I'm more fascinated myself about what kinds of things younger people grow up with. I'm accustomed to being with people who grew up with N64 and GCN and Wii during my teen years. I like imagining these kids being raised with Super Mario Galaxy, a game that has always existed to them, kinda how I remember Super Smash Bros to be that kind of game. I do wonder how they see the older gen games and get fascinated by the worse graphics and sometimes archaic game elements.

Just because something is so high a quality that it can't be reached, does not make them immediately not worth checking. As somebody who is open to checking out new comic strips as they come by, it is annoying when I hear the opinion that is along the lines of "The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes are the last great comic strips". In some ways, I thought that the opinion is kind of close-minded and in a way defeatist, similar to the opinion of somebody who would never bother trying because they despaired on the impossibility on never becoming #1 or the champion. It's one thing to have found something to like that you don't need anything else, but to dismiss future works because they do not match the quality of something is too much. Besides, I have managed to find a good amount of comic strips that I liked that is published since 1996, even some of them published in the last decade.

Thank you for reading.

• Dogs are better than cats by a large margin
• G Gundam is the only good entry in the series
• Freedom of speech should be protected on the Internet and more restrictions need to be placed on tech giants to keep them in line
• Berries are the only truly great fruits
• A lot of "classic" games aren't good (including most NES games such as Zelda, and a lot of SNES stuff, like Super Mario Kart)
• They hardly ever make good movies anymore
• Music in general is boring and often annoying
• Steak is best when well-done
• Voting is pointless because it's all rigged anyway
• Drivers should be punished more strictly for dangerous offenses (speeding, drunk driving, etc)
• Cancel culture is an embarrassment to society
• Bigfoot probably exists
• Super Princess Peach 2 needs to be a thing (plus Super Princess Daisy, and other spin-offs focusing on Mario's supporting cast, not just Luigi and Yoshi)
• Pokemon stopped being good after Generation 2
• Puns are fun
• Snow is cool

• Voting is pointless because it's all rigged anyway
This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's just unfounded conspiracy nonsense.

Like yeah there are definitely authoritarian states that do rig their elections in one way or another, but you're seriously gonna sit here and claim that literally every single election in every single nation ever is rigged and not one whistleblower would've blown the lid on this by now?

i honestly can't list too many unpopular opinions off the top of my head but i suppose that maybe some of my opinions relating to LGBT+ rights aren't believed by the majority

I don't particularly care for threads like these because, to me, they just seem like breeding grounds for conflict and add little to the community otherwise. Like, it's just inviting trouble for no conceivable benefit. It also enables contrarianism and grandstanding from people who hate things just because they're popular, which, in my opinion, is equally annoying and questionable as grandstanding from people who blindly like things for that reason. Just for clarification because this might come up: I am NOT saying you're a contrarian if you post in this thread. I am saying that, if someone was a contrarian, the existence of a thread like this would enable their behavior.

I'd much rather see opinions be posted in dedicated venues where they are actually relevant, so we can focus on the actual content instead of just the fact that they are unpopular. The popularity of an opinion alone adds nothing to its discussability, so hyper-focussing on it just seems counter-productive to me.

That's my unpopular opinion for the day.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's just unfounded conspiracy nonsense.

Like yeah there are definitely authoritarian states that do rig their elections in one way or another, but you're seriously gonna sit here and claim that literally every single election in every single nation ever is rigged and not one whistleblower would've blown the lid on this by now?

But you're just gonna let the Bigfoot thing slide? Lol.

Back