SCARIEST MARIO MOMENTS

Fordsy

A ♥Bill Cipher♥ fan
Pronouns
She/her
have you ever played a mario game and thought wow that's chilling. or that's quite scary. i think we've all went through that. and that is quite fun. and that is what we're going to discuss. scary moments in mario games.

That dang piano in Big Boo's Haunt

something in Mario that has real-life ramifications

Some of the early Luigi's Mansion content was really unsettling, or at least that's what it was when I was a kid.

LM_Prerelease_Luigi_Screaming_Cutscene.png

Luigis_Mansion_Prerelease_Game_Over.jpg

First time I heard the music in Super Paper Mario where you go down the river in hell freaked me the right out.

Now it's just kind of neat in a weird way, but I wasn't prepared for it back then.

when count bleck destroyed the sammer kingdom. AND when you go back in and it's all white in there. that's really creepy music.

That fish in Super Mario 64.

Bubba.png

in partners in time. the cobalt star. kylie koopa sees something inside the cobalt star looking at her. that's creepy. AND the fact that the shroobs made princess peach's castle theirs and it's under their control. AND knowing that princess peach with that fungus on her face is really princess shroob. that's creepy too.

maxresdefault-4.jpg

Most of my chills come from difficult to manuever life or death moments.
The big purple fish is a repeat offender. I don't believe anything in the series has given me as much anxiety as him.

Last edited:
I guess it's supposed to be humorous, but someone shared me some Super Mario Glitchy 4 video and not only I didn't find it really funny, I just found a lot of it unsettling. But again I usually find the Gmod use of Mario always uneasy like something violent or uncomfortably juvenile is going to happen.

The part in the thousand year door when you first sail to keelhaul key and the pirate ghosts come and the ship sinks. I got scared for real. I'm not kidding. I was 12 years old or so when it happened. SO FUN.

I think Mario Party 4 had a genuinely good threatening build up when you land in a Bowser Space. You can really feel the tension as the screen goes dark, you hear Bowser laughing, and there's music building up and.... it's just Koopa Kid. And then Koopa Kid thinks you're just taunting him and then Bowser crushes you anyway. I don't think any other Mario Party really replicated that.

Mario Party 4 was so scary, one person argued back in 2014 that Mario Party 4 should've been M-rated.

I might be at a minority, but I get scared every time I play the Mario vs Bowser battle in SM64, because of the Mines.

I get chills when the shadow queen possesses peach and says WITNESS MY REBIRTH. and when she strikes grodus with lightning and says NO ONE COMMANDS ME. And just the way she talks and the music gives me chills.

When I was a kid I was deathly afraid of the Hall of Mirrors from Super Paper Mario. I guess the lack of music was what got me.

I was also playing way past my bedtime then, so I freaked out.

We ended up selling the game, which made my brother hate me for a couple days. We only got it back a couple years after, and since then I have yet to figure out what was so scary about it.

I think king boo is quite scary in dark moon. Especially when luigi fights him at the ending.

Hell Valley Sky Trees. Need I say more?
Keep in mind, I was 6 when I first looked at those things.

Back