Opinion on bigger/royal versions of regular Mario enemies?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Throughout the Mario series, there will occasionally be a character introduced that are basically grander versions of regular Mario enemies, and some even stuck around and became regular characters. Some examples of bigger enemies that still appear include King Bob-omb, Petey Piranha and King Boo, but some of them don't appear much, which includes Goomboss (a rare RPG-origin case), King Lakitu and King Whomp. It's not just royal versions of enemies that get introduced, for we do have a few enemies that are merely bigger and upgraded enemies, yet have a different design. These include the Banzai Bill, Sledge Bro and Boss Bass.

Some people might call the reuse of design as "lazy", probably because the enemies are basically bigger versions of enemies. However, I think it's a good thing that they are similar because one would be familiar with a specific enemy, even if they have basically the same weaknesses despite their upgraded strengths. Also, some of them look pretty good, as for example, I am fond of King Bob-omb's large moustache.

What do you think?

Thank you for reading.

i think they're fine, but some of these characters get reused over and over and as such they can kinda diminish creativity.

overall i'm more a fan of completely new enemies
1587399240931.png

1587399279783.png

1587399309871.png

I think that Mega/Big, Mini/Small, and King/Boss versions of otherwise regular enemies are a nice way to reuse enemies without them feeling too lazy, because they act differently compared to normal enemies. Mega enemies are usually stronger than normal variants, while Mini enemies are weaker. Overall, I'm a fan of enemy variants, as long as they aren't overused.

I like it when there's more to their design than "make enemy large and/or slap a crown on it"

Gooper Blooper, King Bob-Omb, Petey Piranha, the Luigi's Mansion version of King Boo, and Goomboss are examples of "boss enemies" done well imo.

Also, let us forever mourn the loss of our beloved King Monty.
1a7q280rfns11.png

You need to watch out for bigger versions of Mario enemies. They have 1,000 HP and can obliterate you by stomping on you, can breathe fire on you, bite you, and even pick you up and attack you.

@ZelenPixel has likely dealt with them before so thankfully she is prepared in case she encounters them.

yea i guess i vagujely know how to lock them into a loop of just roaring at no one and then spamming the same few attacks until they die because spore is buggy as hell actually

Back