what would be your ideal Mario comic/manga series?

BRUH_Xform

Goomba
To me the Mario franchise would work great in a battle manga style like in one piece.
The concept of going to different kingdoms to take fight big bad boss is already a huge factor in the Mario games
and could be translated into a great comic series, but I also want to hear your ideas for a comic/manga series.

One that at least covers the stories of the RPGs, like Super Mario Kun does but also including the games it didn't represent, like Superstar Saga & Dream Team (as far as I'm aware).

more of the super mario adventures artstyle because it is actually incredible and i love it so much
but yea though. give me something as silly as mario games usually are. what if some more obscure characters actually made an appearance too!!

A cross between Super Mario Adventures and Super Mario-Kun would hit the sweet spot

Super Mario Adventures reboot with lots of silly and absurd scenarios. Nothing too dark or serious.

I want therapist Mario's return.

Something stupid, silly and whimsical.

So super mario kun though with maybe a few less poop jokes.
Yeah some poop and butt jokes go a little too far. If they have to do poop jokes, I'm sorry, but only Wario should do that. I also like to have Mario and friends be more on-model too. I don't mind stylization, but we first need some on-model stuff first.

I also prefer a western comic over manga probably because the western idea of humor jives with me better, but I'd really like a manga anyhow.

Since I have made this topic before, I shall quote on what I wanted out of a Mario graphical novel series:

For one, I would like to have an anthology-styled comic. What I mean is that in one story, it's focused on Mario doing a simple princess-saving, while in the other, we have Yoshi attempting to find his favourite fruit but it is surprisingly hard to find. Because Mario is a series where a sprawling epic is non-existent, having short and simple stories fit the brand better, compared to what I think is the direction the Archie comics pitch is going to go if it were to be approved. It would also mean that different Mario characters could be highlighted better, since the series has several Mario characters that don't necessarily get a chance to shine in the games. So maybe for example, we can have Daisy having her little problem to solve, completely divorced from Mario and the rest of the main characters. This would be an ideal direction because that means someone can pick up a comic and not need to go back to previous issues to understand the whole story. Now that is not to say they should stick to this direction all the way, because I am all right if they want to make a longer story that could span multiple chapters. After all, Mario has times where a bigger story is warranted, such as perhaps a hypothetical Super Mario Galaxy adaptation. Ideally it's best that whatever happens in the occasional multi-parter isn't essential to future plots.

One of Mario's strengths is that he is identifiable in different styles, so while a consistent style is usually better for a comic series, I wouldn't mind it if certain artists drew Mario in their own styles, which is to say something that is still identifiable to Mario himself. Mario's has had many great styles over the years, including the cartoony style of Mario & Luigi, the sketchy Mario Strikers style and the somewhat pudgy Mario from the DiC cartoons. These different Mario are also all treated as the same Mario, and I would like to see some different styles implemented in a Mario comic, to showcase some neat artistic directions.

Thank you for reading.

I'd love a sequel to Super Mario Adventures with some inspiration from Super Mario Kun, with zero potty humor (only exception being Wario's farts because that's an intrinsic part of his character, but even then it should absolutely not be excessive)

Well, I'm making a fan comic of my own about Mario, so there's that!

In other words, stay true to the source material while introducing some new concepts (if not retelling a story from one of the games); only taking creative liberties when necessary. Preferably action-oriented with plenty of the series' sense of humor to go around!

394px-Archie_Mario_comic_-_cover_%28color%29.jpg
397px-Archie_Mario_concept_page_%28color%29.jpg
387px-Archie_Mario_comic_-_concept_page.jpg

I think this is pretty spot-on to what I'd want a Mario comic to look like. Tracy Yardley is a great artist and I really would have loved to see his take on the overall Mario series. As far as I know, the Archie comics for Sonic did dwelve into increased backstories and universes or whatever, so I can imagine even something like the Mario RPGs can be covered in specific issues/volumes that also dwelve on the extended Mario universe. Of course, however, there is the possibility that Mario comics can get ruined by...really really REALLY bad writers (yes I am staring right at Penders right now, his writing style for Sonic is really terrible) that make me shiver how it could go in a bad direction.

I'd want Mario to be more on the humor side. Just look at his series. It's RIDICULOUS.

In terms of manga, I love the Super Mario-Kun, Mario manga by KC, and Dr. Mario-Kun. The first and last two are very, very VERY weird. I think Dr. Mario-Kun relies less on toilet humor but it has very weird stories. Here are the syopses for some Dr. Mario-Kun volumes that I found off RANDOM HOO HAAS (Flying Omlete) blog (not sure if it's safe to link here as it has entire Dr. Mario-Kun volumes).

*Luigi and Wario get shrunk, babality'd, and turned into... vitamins???
*Singing fever hits the town and is knocking people out.
*The viruses transform a bunch of Yoshis into a giant cubic metal monster.
*A group of Yoshis (and Wario!) are brainwashed to become a band of delinquent superheroes.
*Koopa uses stage magic to make everyone his gushing fans - and transforms everyone who disagrees into cards.
*Waluigi's turned into a wand, enabling him to make Wario a master of disguise!

Yeah, and that's just the synposes for them. There's SO MUCH WEIRDER THINGS IN THEM.

1583265384292.png
1583265539309.png

Why does Luigi have a mustache for wings? Why is there an 8 bit Mario? Why is there an evil timer with arrows for arms? Why is Peach in a Nurse's outfit? What the hell Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are going there? Keep in mind, this is a PARTNERS IN TIME - inspired arc, and almost none of these things aside from Baby Mario and Baby Luigi being there, are actually in the game. And in the arc, Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr. actually interact with each other, and it actually poked fun at how similarly designed the two characters are!

1583265907827.png
1583265940493.png

Oh and @Dimentio, there's a Super Paper Mario-inspired take that Dr. Mario Kun has done, if you're interested.

Anyway, that's Dr. Mario-Kun for ya. The characters are a bit on model compared to the Super Mario-Kun but of course the main reason I talk about all of them manga because Baby Luigi's appearances are all simply amazing.

732px-Baby_Mario_Baby_Luigi_Yoshi_-_KC_Mario_manga.png
419px-DrMarioKun_-_December2006_-_BabyMarioBros.jpg
718px-IceFlowerBabyLuigiSMK36.jpg

So, would I like to see localized English manga or an Archie styled comic with Baby Luigi in them? HELL YEAH I DO. Dr. Mario-Kun and the Super Mario-Kun were already plenty of fun to look through, even if you can't read Japanese, so of course I've love to see another take on the Mario universe in comic form, especially a Western one.

Last edited:
HOLD UP. COUNT BLECK IN A DR. MARIO MANGA WTF

This has to be like the most obscure thing anyone has shown to me, this isn't even on the MarioWiki.

The page mentions Dimentio but I don't see him anywhere, please don't tell me this person mistook Count Bleck for Dimentio. lol

The page mentions Dimentio but I don't see him anywhere, please don't tell me this person mistook Count Bleck for Dimentio. lol

Pretty sure that's the case unfortunately. Don't see Dimentio in the downloaded zip.

Back