Mario adapting famous stories

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
So, I been thinking about a couple of things said by Miyamoto, Mario characters are like characters from retro cartoons in which they can be view as actors due to how many roles they can play and the events of SMB3 were a play, so it got me thinking, what if there was a Mario game adapting a famous pre-existing story?
Yes, I am aware that the Super Show did this all the time, hence the word "game"

I think we are limited to public domain stories if this was the case, so sadly, no Mario in the Saiyan saga or something like that.

I think the two I would narrow it down to is Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz, both can be fun in many ways due to the bizarre world the stories take place in, it helps that people thought Mario was inspired by Alice anyways

When I see this, I am surprised that you did not mention the Mario anime (Amada Anime Series: Super Mario Bros.) where the characters reenacted certain famous stories.

I guess adapting famous tales would be best done in RPGs which are more open to stories, and I can see that the Japanese tales would take priority given how that anime has two Japanese tales. For example, there's The Crab and the Monkey, which basically have the monkey killing a crab because it doesn't want to honour its part of a deal, so the crab's children (that are just born) enlisted help from a few folks like a chestnut, a cow dung, a bee, and an usu (large heavy mortar). The monkey could be Donkey Kong, the crab could be the Sidestepper, and the various things could be various Mario enemies like Galoomba, a Boo, a Stingby and a Thwomp.

Thank you for reading.

It's a really good idea and I'd love to see it. Tbh I want original stories more, like we had in first 3 Paper Marios, but it'd still be cool.

Can't think of anything specific myself but @Princess Viola 's idea was good

I'm reminded of Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic and the Black Knight. I'd prefer if inspiration was taken from these stories, rather then adapting them, as they wouldn't feel like Mario if they were adaptions.

Alice in Wonderland
Abit indirect I admit but I feel like that was the inspiration to having to follow the block guy with bunny ears.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sherlock Mario
Another not direct refrence
hqdefault.jpg

Interestingly, The 1993 Mario Movie actually took a bunch of inspiration from Ghostbusters.
Somehow I'm not surprised? XD

I forgot Pennington for a moment
He's my 28th favourite Mario character

(Edit: actually I've not updated that list or the gallery on my Mariowiki userpage to include PM64 characters; I'll do that when I've finished that game)

Actually come to think of it SPM did kind of reference sleeping beauty in 7-3

Umm what media are you referencing @Mcmadness

Diddy Kong slaying hordes of actual windmills from Windmill Plains would be funny.

To be fair, all franchises have to stick to public domain when it comes to using their characters for adaptations (parodies are a different story).

But to answer the question, while I wouldn't be so hyped about an entire game doing this, having a sub-plot or even an animated feature do this could be pretty funny. Maybe a Mario version of the gingerbread man tale, but the fox at the end is replaced with Yoshi as a blatant reference to Yoshi's Cookie. Or Robin Hood; I'd say A Christmas Carol too, but that's kinda been done with the German Club Nintendo comics already...

Is there any Superman stories public domain? I'd love to replace Clark Kent with Mario Mario

Is there any Superman stories public domain? I'd love to replace Clark Kent with Mario Mario
I don't think they'd be allowed to remake exact arcs from the Superman comics and animated features, but it has been parodied multiple times over the decades. They could possibly do something similar to those if that's the case.

Great_Gladiator_Gig_VHS.jpg

Every time I see this, I keep imagining they're doing this just to rescue a horribly-singing bard the Romans abducted, and this involves pissing off the audience and Caesar when the gladiators play parlor games (after extensive training had been replaced with Mario and Luigi letting warriors play parlor games with them) rather than fight.
Monty Python!

Back