If you had the choice to make the next Mario game, what would it be?

A Mystery Dungeon game starring the baby characters.

I'd have a real hard time choosing one but I'd absolutely love any of the following:
  • Galaxy 3
  • Odyssey 2
  • 3D World 2
  • Mario Maker 3 (with how recent SMM2 is I doubt this will be soon but yeah)
  • Mario Maker with actual 3D levels, especially an SPM or Galaxy theme
  • A new M&L game with good story elements
  • A return to form Paper Mario
  • Remakes of:
    • SM64​
    • PM64​
    • TTYD​
    • SMRPG​
    • SPM​
    • PIT​
    • MP1​
    • MP3​
    • SMS​
    • SMG (honestly I'd rather wait for a console which can render these games REALLY well like in 4K with cool shaders etc., the potential for beautification this game has is unreal)​
  • RPG / 3D platform hybrid​
  • Donkey Kong RPG​
  • More 3D Donkey Kong games​
  • Mario Kart with better rosters​
  • Mario RPG Party​

A proper new Mario Kart (i.e. not a simplified micro-transaction filled mobile game or port). Something that combines some of the best parts of each of the other games and sorts out some of the issues, and has a decent roster with minimal clones.

Mario & Luigi: Double Dimensions, it would basically take the concept of Paper Jam but actually use characters specific to Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario.

Basically, if Paper Jam had come during the GCN/Wii/DS era, before a certain 2012 game came along and set a standard of Mario RPGs being nauseatingly sterile.

I still doubt it would have turned out the way you'd wanted it to.

A Super Mario platformer with the Mario side of the Mario Party characters (based on how Super Mario Party categorise them) being playable. The more playable characters, the merrier.

Although perhaps a more unpopular idea, I would love to see another Mario character have a game starring game, provided that they haven't had a game starring them yet, so for example, Daisy and Waluigi.

Thank you for reading.

A proper new Mario Kart (i.e. not a simplified micro-transaction filled mobile game or port). Something that combines some of the best parts of each of the other games and sorts out some of the issues, and has a decent roster with minimal clones.
Exactly.

Maybe not, but I also doubt it would be as sterile as it is now.

Considering how PJ was a deliberate decision on their part, it probably would be as "sterile" as it is already.

I don't know why people assume it would have brought back all those past characters when said past characters barely get brought back even within their own series beyond token cameos.

sunshine remake on the splatoon 2 engine
mario strikers switch

I don't know why people assume it would have brought back all those past characters when said past characters barely get brought back even within their own series beyond token cameos.
It just seemed like the perfect opportunity for all the epic characters from both series meeting each other and seeing new and cool interactions, but they completely wasted it and had only pre-established characters, which, I haven't played PJ, but out of Mario games I do have, I tend to prefer those with more original characters, so I anticipate PJ less than PIT and DT.

To me, honestly, I have no clue what potential Dimentio and Fawful would have on a team-up. They've already done their story arc, which is why they're interesting to begin with, I see little reason to bring them back just because fanservice.

I do think something like Popple and Kylie Koopa being brought back in Dream Team were handled extremely poorly. If they had amnesia and don't recall the events, why even bother bringing them back to begin with? It doesn't even pander properly.

To me, honestly, I have no clue what potential Dimentio and Fawful would have on a team-up. They've already done their story arc, which is why they're interesting to begin with, I see little reason to bring them back just because fanservice.
They both tried really hard to get powerful but were still beaten so it could be about them teaming up to get revenge on Mario's party and/or to become powerful together. Then we could have Dimentio pulling a Dimentio on Fawful and trying to take all that power for himself or sth. Just an idea

It feels like something I had seen a million times. At this point, I'm more interested in a completely new villain than a return of those two. At least it would bring an interesting new design on the table with a potentially interesting new personality.

It just seemed like the perfect opportunity for all the epic characters from both series meeting each other and seeing new and cool interactions, but they completely wasted it and had only pre-established characters, which, I haven't played PJ, but out of Mario games I do have, I tend to prefer those with more original characters, so I anticipate PJ less than PIT and DT.

I get that, thats what you wanted to happen but I see no reason why you would ever assume they'd do that when they've never done it even in prior games that weren't crossovers that also had to juggle two of every major recurring Mario character.

I do think something like Popple and Kylie Koopa being brought back in Dream Team were handled extremely poorly. If they had amnesia and don't recall the events, why even bother bringing them back to begin with? It doesn't even pander properly.

Well the main thing is, is that they have zero benefit to teaming up. Dimentio is a minion who works behind the scenes while stronger people take the forefront. Fawful gains basically nothing from working with him.

Whereas 2 Bowser's it's very clear what they get from a team up due to their large combined military forces.

Well the main thing is, is that they have zero benefit to teaming up. Dimentio is a minion who works behind the scenes while stronger people take the forefront. Fawful gains basically nothing from working with him.

Dimentio also would probably backstab Fawful if given the opportunity to.

Crossovers like these always follow one of 2 formulas. Either the protagonists of each series team up to defeat a team up of their arch enemies, or a new threat pops up that threatens both worlds.

Anything else and the crossover becomes a mess.

I know I'm not the first to suggest this but an alien invasion of X-Nauts and Shroobs would be a great idea

I have no idea why they're worded as "X-Nauts" when their pronunciation is "Cross Naut". I'll continue calling them "Ex Naut" because that's how they're spelled like.

Back