Is there any video game series you play other than Mario and what got you into them?

Koops

Agony
Pronouns
He/They
MarioWiki
ManKoops
The one series I play extensively other than Mario is Fire Emblem, which I got into like how most people became aware of the series' existence: through Smash.

I remember seeing the trailer for Ultimate, and although I had known there were FE characters before then, this was the first time I actually got curious about them. Lo and behold, I'm interested in Ike, so I look up his game, I pick up similarities with Mario + Rabbids of all games and then I'm even more interested. Come March 2019, or so, I actually played FE7, Blazing Sword (The one I'm currently LPing on the 'Shroom), and then Sacred Stones, and Binding Blade, etc, etc, and then Path of Radiance became my favorite game ever and now I have Three Houses and am happy with it.

I'm also actually slowly getting into CastleVania. Only played two games so far but two hella good ones.

Post ur own expriences hir

Sonic: played it on an Atgames console.
Mega Man: The originals plus 9 and 10 on Legacy Collection 1 and 2, plus Mega Man X on SNES Classic

Last edited:
Oh boy, I play a lot more than just Mario. The Smash Bros. series got me interested in many more franchises, as well as my dad's collection of his own video games.

Top five are definitely Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Smash Bros. (not in that order :P)

In terms of Nintendo games, I've played quite a bit of them: Kirby, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros., and Pokemon. For Pokemon's case, Mystery Dungeon titles excite me, main titles not so much.

In terms of nonNintendo games I've sunk in almost 1000 hours in Left 4 Dead 2, and I've got introduced to it via mods. Hell, this was one of the first videos I've watched:

So, I am looking forward to Left 4 Dead VR which is apparently a thing, as well as Back 4 Blood.

Garry's Mod is not really a "game", more like a sandbox thing but I very enjoyed that as well.

Currently, I'm getting into Sonic. I've played through most of Sonic 1 on Steam and I own Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD on Steam and I'd wanna play through them. I've very enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2, especially the treasure hunting levels, so I got Sonic Adventure 1 DX on Steam as well.

The Metro series is delightfully Russian and I'm looking forward to play Metro Exodus when it releases on Steam.

Played Grand Theft Auto V and some of GTA IV, and I'm interested in Red Dead Redemption 2 when character mods hit, so that'll be fun. Also would look forward to Grand Theft Auto VI when it gets announced.

Kirby's definitely my number 1. I've had a fondness for the character ever since I played the three Kirby demos in Smash Wii U, and I later downloaded Team Kirby Clash Deluxe on 3DS. However, the first true Kirby game I experienced in full was Star Allies on Switch. Star Allies was an absolutely fantastic game with crazy fun multiplayer, but what truly amazed me about it was the Dream Friends. I didn't recognize many of them, but they were new characters that were fun to play as, and I would always get super excited whenever a new wave of Dream Friends was announced. The Wave 3 update announcement was one of the most pre-release hype moments I've ever had, and it delivered all the way.

After that, I decided I wanted to explore the history of each Dream Friend by playing each of the mainline Kirby games. With each game I experienced a different spin on the classic "inhale and copy" formula, and I've thoroughly enjoyed each one (well, most of them, anyway; don't play Amazing Mirror without friends). I have now experienced 10 out of the 12 total (there are two on 3DS I can't play until I replace my broken system), but Star Allies stands as my favorite. Not because it was the first one I played through, but because it stands as such a beautiful tribute to Kirby's past that I simply couldn't ask for more. Star Allies is easily among my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:
Kirby: Got Triple Deluxe for Christmas 2014, loved it even though it wasn't on my want list. Got Planet Robobot for Christmas 2016, played Epic Yarn on my Wii during 2015, obtained the remake in the summer of last year, and got Star Allies for my 16th birthday. My favourite game series of all time, thanks to the characters, gameplay, and the anime.

Pokémon: Watched the anime as a kid. First game was my mother's copy of Pearl. I also have Heart Gold, Black 2, Y, Alpha Sapphire, Moon, Sword, and Shield. I used to play the spinoffs, however I don't care for them anymore. I still play the main games though. Second favourite game series. Mario is my third favourite.

Digimon: Watched a VHS containing the first few anime episodes with my eldest sister back in 2011. The monsters scared me to death and I didn't know if I was ever going to recover from it after that experience. Flash forward to 2015, when I got myself a very small plush of Patamon. During that time, I started to recover from my fear of the series. Finally, in 2017, I got the first Digimon Story game for the DS(Known here as Digimon World DS) for my 14th birthday. Didn't finish it, however I'm glad the series doesn't haunt me anymore.

Yo-Kai Watch: Saw the E3 trailer for the first game back in 2015. Thought that the game was interesting and I wanted to try it out. Got it for Christmas 2015, and loved it. Finished the game with an all Charming Tribe party that contained Frostina, Pupsicle, Shmoopie, Komiger, Komane, and Jibanyan. However, the year after I got it, in September, one day when I was training my team for the second game, all of a sudden, all of my hard work went to waste. I don't know how all my save data went away, since the file selection menu doesn't have an option to delete all save data. Decided I didn't want the second game after that. However, my general interest in the series hasn't stopped yet.

Sonic: Watched my older siblings play both Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog when I was a kid. I have only played some of the spinoffs and crossovers of this series. This is because I just like the characters of Sonic's world. I don't really care for the gameplay or the story because it's too fast and too dark and mature in some games.

Crash: My family owned a lot of this series back when we had our PS2(We also had Mind Over Mutant on the Wii). After my family stopped playing Crash, my memory of the series started fading away. By 2015, I only remembered 8 of the characters from the series. Memory of series was recovered a bit during that year, but started fading away again in 2016. Flash forward to 2018, and all memories of this series are back in my head and I keep on learning new things about it. Got the N. Sane Trilogy for Christmas 2018, quit after a few months of play. Decided I didn't want CTR: NF, and my interest in the series started to drop after that.

I also like The Legendary Starfy series and the Super Monkey Ball series, but I can't really explain why I like them.

While the Mario series I'm the biggest fan of (I mean as a whole not just the platforming), I'm also a seasoned Pokemon player and I've played extensively Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon LeafGreen Pokemon Pearl, Pokemon HeartGold (my last main game I played a lot since I was getting burnt by then) and a bit of Pokemon Black (or White, don't remember). I also played Blue Rescue Team to death, played Explorers of Time which I didn't like as much, and played Super Mystery Dungeon, generally the post-game. While I'm a sucker for Mario merch, I'm a big sucker for Pokemon merchandise too. I gotten in to Pokemon at a very young age, playing Pokemon Blue a lot and not really knowing what I'm doing, so Gen 3's the one that really got me in.

I also enjoy Yo-Kai Watch a lot, got hooked, but after I stopped, got lazy and didn't end up progressing past a certain point. I prefer Pokemon designs in general, as Yo-Kai creatures are far less cute, but I do have some Yo-Kai I like a lot like the Cicada, the D'wanna thing, the sad bird thing, the laughing eel thing, but there's no merch of it compared to the Jibanyay cruft, so I dislike Jibanyan probably even more than Pikachu. My friend gifted me it, so I decided to play it.

I also played several Rayman games. I dabbled a bit in Rayman 2 (in the 3DS, though probably not the best iteration of it compared to, say, Rayman Revolution) and Rayman 3. Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are among my favorite 2D platformers of all time. I knew Rayman mainly from Rayman 2 that my brother played. Rayman Origins was a game we weren't exactly screaming and running to get since it was virtually unknown and not talked about, but we heard great things about it (and on these boards years ago iirc), being comparable to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. We played Origins and we instantly fell in love with it, and it made us sometimes realize what Mario games can learn from. Because of Origins, I really want Rayman as a playable character in Smash Bros..

Super Smash Bros. is one of my childhood games. I got in to it long before I remember why. I know it made me recognize all the Nintendo characters, and I believe it's the thing that kickstarted my gaming life. Anyway, I got and played tons of hours in every Smash Bros. to date. Brawl's my least favorite in the series.

Left 4 Dead, my sister already talked about it. My friend shared us a video of silly Mario mods in Left 4 Dead, and the ridiculous voice acting hooked me in, as well as existing mods for playable Mario (from Super Mario 64).

Grand Theft Auto: Played only GTA V, but I love it. It's a lot better with mods on, and I modded in Mario and let him either stroll peacefully or wreak havoc while the graffiti's a bunch of random stuff from our life.

I also sunk way too many hours on Spore and its expansion: Spore Galactic Adventure. I wasn't part of the hype crowd, only I heard about a super flexible evolution sim and decided to check it out. One of our first PC games, and it's before the advent of online gaming store fronts, at least for me since I didn't have a Steam account. I just love the Galactic Adventures part of it so much, and the mods make it so much better, making up for the stark lack of content for it after its release.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm an avid fan of the Kirby games. I've played (copy pasted) Amazing Mirror, Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, Squeak Squad, Return to Dream Land, Epic Yarn, Nightmare in Dream Land, Star Allies, Triple Deluxe, Superstar Ultra, Kirby Fighters Deluxe, and I have Kirby's Dream Collection. I'm still wanting a plushie of the Yellow Kirby as that's my favorite color of Kirby.

Last edited:
Not as fanatically as Mario, but yes, many. My current side series are Earthbound, and a random anime hack n slash rpg mobile game series Dawn Break.

Smash Bros also got me to try out other Nintendo titles, mostly the less cartoony and more thinkingier ones than I'm used to such as Metroid and Fire Emblem.

the current Series Im Really Into That Isnt Mario is rayman. i got into it because this august, after realising globox is actually So Good (i still wont stop thinkiong about him) i replayed origins for the first time in years, and soon after legends for the first time in general, and kinda got obsessed whoops
its lasted a bit longer than other Series I Was Really Into That Arent Mario usually did so it seems im gonna be into this for a while! im hoping to get into the 3d games soon starting with rayman 3
I also sunk way too many hours on Spore and its expansion: Spore Galactic Adventure. I wasn't part of the hype crowd, only I heard about a super flexible evolution sim and decided to check it out. One of our first PC games, and it's before the advent of online gaming store fronts, at least for me since I didn't have a Steam account. I just love the Galactic Adventures part of it so much, and the mods make it so much better, making up for the stark lack of content for it after its release.
might as well second this. spore literally shaped me i love it so much. i was prob like 5-6 when i first played it so i cant really say how i got into it! boy what impact did it leave on me though

the current Series Im Really Into That Isnt Mario is rayman. i got into it because this august, after realising globox is actually So Good (i still wont stop thinkiong about him) i replayed origins for the first time in years, and soon after legends for the first time in general, and kinda got obsessed whoops
its lasted a bit longer than other Series I Was Really Into That Arent Mario usually did so it seems im gonna be into this for a while! im hoping to get into the 3d games soon starting with rayman 3

might as well second this. spore literally shaped me i love it so much. i was prob like 5-6 when i first played it so i cant really say how i got into it! boy what impact did it leave on me though

You really should try out Rayman 2, specifically Rayman Revolution, it's really good.

Rayman 3 is pretty good too, and I'd strongly recommend that.

am stuck with pc versions unfortunately! but yea ill get to 2 certainly. by the 3d games i really meant just 2 and 3 lmao

well there's a lot of versions of rayman 2 out there and i think the best one is revolution, just letting you know that.

get it by any means necessary and play it. if it's not buyable, then find a way to get it.

yea im aware this an the dreamcast versions are like the best ones but i havent got a dreamcast or the play stations and im not resorting to piracy (also hehe) so..
eh not taht big of a deal i dont think im missing That Much

Back