Things that are awesome in any Mario game

Don't have to worry about your adulthood causing you to lose interest in Mario. I'm going to run 25 this year (oof going into 30s is gonna be sooner than I'd imagine) and my passion's still burning even though I don't even remember when I got into the series.

Don't have to worry about your adulthood causing you to lose interest in Mario. I'm going to run 25 this year (oof going into 30s is gonna be sooner than I'd imagine) and my passion's still burning even though I don't even remember when I got into the series.

Age isn't a factor for me. Your opinions may change over time but that doesn't mean old people can't enjoy Mario for the hell of it. Even if my interest in Mario is way less present now than it was two years ago, I still have a lot of time to change. I've only just touched my 17th year (oof, I'm legally an adult in about a year) and my viewpoint on many things has developed really fast, I can easily see myself just getting back into it later on. I'll probably find something I really like in Mario that I didn't realize was there.

I feel like the thread's already established a preference for goofy stuff over serious stuff, but my favorite thing in any Mario game happens to be the latter. I love the plot of Super Paper Mario, and I definitely don't think it takes away the appeal of the goofier parts either. Heck they complement each other. I couldn't care less about a bunch of anatomically correct human characters having an angsty plot, but when it's goofy cartoony Mario characters I like being able to relate with them and go on a journey with them. Super Paper Mario, and TTYD also, provide this: I love the M&L games for their characters also. The plots don't get quite as serious but still have their moments, and when those moments happen they still give me that rush of the moment. For example when Fawful awakens the Dark Star and the stakes are raised as Dark Bowser comes to life, then later completes the dark power after finding Fawful.

Of course I also love the platforming gameplay in the main series even if I think storywise they could use more. The music is great in all the games, unless your name is Yoshi's New Island (even then i think it's mostly just that one awful track, i've heard some decent songs in that game). Mario Kart provides great fun & entertainment, especially online play (though currently due to MK8 being the go-to game for soooo long now and kind of getting stale, it's REALLY due for a new game, properly on the Switch with at least 4 new nitro cups). Super Mario Maker is looking to be a very mechanically deep series that will continue providing tools to build your own experiences for years to come. Really overall, I couldn't imagine a life without Mario. Even though I lived it 20 years ago. But I sure couldn't go back now, though I still like the things I had then like SpongeBob and the Brave Little Toaster.

And amusingly they remixed it with actual instruments for smash and it didn't sound crap.

fuck I still sometimes watch Magic School Bus episodes time to time as a 24 year old (soon to be 25) so who care what media you consume

And amusingly they remixed it with actual instruments for smash and it didn't sound crap.
Link? I can find the main theme but not The Yoshi Clan.

Actually I have trouble finding even a fanmade "good version" of Yoshi Clan, i figured someone out there would want to try and salvage it but all i can find are deep fried memes.

The world and characters; the gameplay is great, but it's the setting and people that make up the series that has kept me playing for practically my whole life. Mario himself plays a big part in that; sounds obvious, but hear me out a bit.

The character's design and personality can be classified as contemporary; for the most part, he acts and looks like an everyday, regular human being. But this makes him very versatile in a lot of ways. He's not tied to a certain theme, so you can have Mario travel to all sorts of places and fight all kinds of enemies without feeling out of place. The dude could be fighting Koopa Troopas and Goombas one day, the next he's battling weapon-shaped robots from another dimension, or traveling back in time to defeat a race of evil aliens!

And seeing where Mario goes on his adventures is always exciting, whether it be a new part of the Mushroom Kingdom, or just a new setting overall!

Same goes for the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario sub-series; by extension they are still part of the Mario series, so that's just even more world-building for me to enjoy!

Oh, and the humor! The comedy for this series is just grand! The RPGs are most known for this, but the series overall has some really funny moments!

Back