What are your notable Mario experiences this decade?

LeftyGreenMario

Working toward a diva-free community
Wiki Administrator
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Mario
I noticed that we're at the sunset of 2010's. There's a lot of great things to have come out this decade, so I think there should be a thread reflecting on that before 2020's begin and roll out. What are your favorite Mario games this decade, what are your favorite characters introduced this decade, what games you like. You can also talk about disappointments, let-downs, tragedies too. If you can sum up all notable moments , that'll be great! You can also be surprised how time flies too. Maybe also set expectations for this decade?

I know quite a few experiences I have such as Mario Kart 7 being the hot new thing, Iwata's tragic passing, the announcement of Nintendo mobile games. Oh! I think plush collecting for me seriously took off as my favorite Mario plush was definitely this decade and is actually starting to get worn. I'll talk about it more, but you definitely have different experiences from me.

2010: I make my YouTube channel and name it after Fawful because Fawful is great, probably my line of thought there: i was a simple fanboy. Videos were terrible and I had a tendency to shoehorn A Troll in Central Park where it doesn't belong.

2011: I start 11th grade in a new home after my parents send me to a childrens' home. Meet my first girlfriend and annoy everyone and their mother about the "best character ever," Fawful. Also often loudly humming either The Ultimate Show, In The Final, or the diabetic songs in Troll in Central Park. Also can often be found watching the Paper Mario 3DS trailer on repeat in excited glee about how it's definitely gonna live up to the Paper Mario games I've played.

2012: The long-awaited "Paper Mario 3DS" finally lands in my claws, and as Thanos said "Reality is often disappointing."

2013: I turn 18 and return to New York. Super Mario Boards becomes my first fandom home on the Internet, and I also get a satisfying 3DS MaRPG at last, in Dream Team. Antasma is introduced and joins Fawful, Dimentio, Cackletta, Count Bleck and the gang in recurring status in my drawings.

2014: IRL my life takes a plunge for the depressing. But Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 both release this year, and as I recall one of the hypest moments was finding out there'd finally be a Paper Mario stage in Smash (though i was disappointed at the disproportionately large amount of Sticker Star compared to the rest of the series).

2015: I was banned on this forum, huge wake up call to my toxic nature. I remember E3 of this year vividly, as it was when Paper Jam was announced, and I was immediately uneasy about the lack of OCs, which turned out to be exactly what I dreaded. But on the other hand, Super Mario Maker dropped, far and away my favorite Wii U game. It spawned so many memories from 2015 all the way to SMM2's release in 2019 of making levels, sharing them with streamers, and playing all the cool levels others came up with. And of course the hot garbage lmao.

2016: The Color Splash Year. I'd finally stopped watching intently for Directs, so the one that actually announced a Paper Mario game, I actually missed it. I found out about Color Splash's existence by going onto Facebook to find people to join my Mario Kart 8 room. I immediately cancelled what I was doing to watch the CS trailer and give my thoughts on it: they were very worried. And I wasn't alone, many YouTubers were thinking similar thoughts. Well the game came and released, as expected it had no original characters and played like Sticker Star, but at least it had unique locations and better writing, as well as Bowser and Luigi speaking and Huey being a much better character than Kersti. Still, I hope the classic style of RPG Paper Mario comes back next time, and the ban on original characters is lifted.

2017: I return to Mario Boards shortly after the reveal of Super Mario Odyssey, easily one of the most hype reveals I watched live. Then later during E3 my dreams were lifted even higher as Superstar Saga, in all its nostalgic glory, was shown off remastered for the 3DS, with all its fun, sadly forgotten characters finally getting modern-day appearances. Not only was Fawful finally back, but also Cackletta, Prince Peasley, Popple, and all the other zany Beanbean characters. I was ecstatic.

2018: An early Nintendo Direct surprises everyone with a teaster for Smash Bros. on Switch (and me personally with a remake of Bowser's Inside Story, which I screamed loudly for the reveal of). E3 came and as someone hoping for Waluigi, i was a tad salty when he was shown as an assist again after they promoted Daisy (a character that had been soured for me due to toxic fans). Regardless, Ultimate was a ton of fun when I got it, and Piranha Plant became an unlikely main for me. It's just so fun to drop spiked balls on players trying to recover with Ptooie.

2019: This year, I finally got my hands on BIS DX, and was introduced to 3 new villains in the side mode: Dieter, Kaley and Beef, who have also become recurring in my drawings (this seems to be a pretty easy thing to do these days: with how scarce new characters are in the RPGs, whenever there are new ones I will draw them a lot). Later we got Super Mario Maker 2, with which I'm having a blast to this day. My life is changing in ways I'm not ready to disclose, which is why I haven't had a new YT video in a while, but I'm looking forward to the future, in Mario and beyond!
dcjwk7k-8196e4d5-802f-490b-a64d-bdb70ae4fb3e.gif

In every year, I usually get one or two Mario games, but these are the specific ones I can remember.

2010: I was having a hard time, after having to leave 9th grade for medical reasons. I really wanted to actually go back to the high school, but my mother said there was a better high school, smaller and not anxiety-inducing. I told her I'd only do it if I got Super Mario Galaxy 2. She agreed.
Also, I fully subscribed to Nintendo Power after getting a few previous issues here and there.

2011: The 3DS released, but we couldn't get it yet. I don't remember much Mario-related things that happened otherwise.

2012: I got the 3DS for my birthday, along with Super Mario 3D Land. Wii U released, but we couldn't get it yet. Nintendo Power ended in December. I asked for Mario Kart 7 for Christmas, but my mom said she couldn't find it, and got Paper Mario: Sticker Star instead. The next day, Gamestop got a new shipment of Mario Kart 7 in. Hooray! This was really not a good year for me otherwise, so I've forgotten most of it...

2013: For my birthday, I got Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. My birthday was also Mario Party themed, with various Mario enemies to throw beanbags at, Star balloons, and marshmallow shooters. Also, Nintendo Force started and I've been subscribed to them ever since. I think I also got Donkey Kong Country Returns this year.

2014: On January 24th, I registered on a site I used a lot for Mario tips and information: the Super Mario Wiki (and Fire Emblem Wiki, the same day). After having to drop out of my senior year of high school in 2012, I was having trouble finding a place to really fit in. I never heard of an editable encyclopedic site (even after using the SMW and Wikipedia for years, I never knew you could edit it), so I thought it'd be fun. Truly a great decision that has led to many fun times :)
Also I got a Wii U in the summer, the bundle with Mario Kart 8. Got Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U on their respective launch dates. amiibo turned into an obsession.

2015: I remember buying Super Mario Maker, and that's really it. I started being a bit more active on the Super Mario Wiki. RIP Iwata...

2016: March 27th was a... huge blow to the Super Mario Wiki community. I really wish I joined sooner, got to know Walkazo better, work with her on the staff team. I only talked to her a few times, she seemed like a great person, would've loved Super Mario Odyssey. Hope her family is doing alright.

2017: On April 17th, I got a message asking if I wanted to be a patroller for the Super Mario Wiki, which I eagerly accepted. Probably a little too eagerly ^^; It's something I was working toward, so I was happy to get the message. I learned a lot about responsibility and how communities work while on the staff team, and the community as a whole has been wonderful. While I'm still in the same rut now as I was back then, at least I have people to talk to. Thank you all.
Also the Switch released and I have yet to get one >_> This year is honestly a blur.

2018: Being more active in NIWA as a whole led to me getting promoted to a Super Mario Wiki administrator on my birthday. The decision kinda got rushed in order for the promotion to take place on April 3rd :p
I finally played a Switch. My Tri-Cities ARC community hosts game nights every now and then, and I was able to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate late in December, along with Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

2019: I got Mario Party: Star Rush for my birthday, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze during the summer. Hopefully I can get a Switch for Christmas this year.
EDIT: Found someone selling their copy of the Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Bonus Disc, which is something I've been looking for forever!

Last edited:
2010: Being the year following the Christmas I got my Wii, this was essentially the birth of my passion for gaming. I played my earliest Mario games during this timespan: Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Mario Party 8. I made some of my fondest memories with Mario and with my siblings with those three games, so naturally, they mean a lot to me even today.

2011: This was when my Wii collection started expanding, and I got to experience more great games including Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Sports Mix, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. While these never got quite as much attention as the three we got the previous year, they're still fun to come back to today. It was like the classic sequel year: it's not quite new anymore, but it's more of what you love.

2012: This was when everything took a plunge for the worse. A tragic accident involving a quartet of rowdy kids resulted in the end of our dog, and we weren't allowed to play games for months. It was a sad time, but my passion never died, and I remember promising myself that I would never forget my gaming love. I was growing older, losing interest in many of my old passions, but two things remained: Mario and gaming. It was one of the few things about me that didn't change during this time, something I could turn to as a distraction from everything else going on.

2013: A largely uneventful year, until December. That was when we got the Wii U, complete with New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World. I got to relive the experience of getting a new console for the first time, and it was new fuel for my long-running gaming fire. My little sister, born shortly before we got our Wii, was four now, and we got to have a five-player gaming experience for the first time.

2014: Could it get any better than that? I soon learned that the answer was yes. I got to play Mario Kart 8 (the first Mario Kart I played after Wii) and Smash Wii U (a crossover experience like nothing I'd played before). But on top of that, I got my 3DS for my 10th birthday, alongside New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Golf: World Tour. Great memories.

2015: I played my first Yoshi games (New Island and Woolly World), Mario Party 10, Super Mario Maker, and Mario Party: Island Tour. But even with all that, I treasure this year for one thing: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. I'll never forget when I fished that completely unexpected surprise from my Christmas stocking, flipped on my 3DS, and experienced for the first time a true characterization of the faces I'd come to know and love. It's my favorite game of all time for a good reason.

2016: Dream Team took a good long while to beat, but I still couldn't help but feel disappointed when it was all over. I needed more. So I got Color Splash on my first birthday away from home, and Paper Jam the following Christmas. While they never quite had the magic of Dream Team, they were good solid games and I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

2017: New console arrives once again! This was the year I welcomed the new Nintendo Switch and the legendary Super Mario Odyssey into my living room. Earlier that year, in March, I joined the Super Mario Wiki, which I had previously only lurked on, as well as its forums; both sites became critical places of character development for me, and I don't know where I'd be without the community that helped me get to where I am now, It was also the year I finally turned 13, and even though Miiverse had shut down only weeks before my 13th birthday, I still acquired an NNID and Nintendo Account, and went online in games for the first time.

2018: Got to experience my first taste of homebrew with Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, although I was still too paranoid to use any permanent hacks on my Wii. Unfortunately, this was also the year my 3DS broke after just over four years of use, and while this still remains the case today, I now view this event as a necessary stepping stone to the experiences I had in 2019. This was also the year I entered the Kirby fandom, and while this isn't particularly related to Mario, it was the first franchise I dove into that didn't star the red plumber, showing to myself that I was still able to find other interests besides Mario and that it wasn't too late.

2019: As an aftermath to the demise of my 3DS last year, and a growing desire to explore outside official territory, I finally mustered the courage to use homebrew on both my Wii and Wii U. Boy, am I glad I did. I finally changed a piece of code in a game (have any idea how satisfying that was?), and I got to experience all sorts of games I hadn't before, classic and new. With my eldest sister moving off to college earlier this year and my 15th birthday coming in less than two weeks, I look back on the decade with fondness. I see how much I've grown over the years, how much life has changed for me since that fateful Christmas almost ten years ago. Mario, gaming, and this community have shaped much of who I am, and I don't know where I'd be without it all. Thank you, Nintendo. And thank you, Mario Boards!

2010: I was nearing the tail end of high school and it was about this time I started to develop depression. sleeping through classes, not doing much of anything except stare at the ceiling and play the odd video game here and there.

2011: More of the same except I met the first love of my life.

2012: Still depressed and had basically dropped out of high school.

2013: It's all a big blur of depression, the odd video game and spending time with my girlfriend.

2014: finally went back to school and finished it, still depressed

2015: Joined this website, met lots of cool people, girlfriend left me because I wasn't making anything of myself, still depressed

2016: Started taking meds for depression, still depressed

2017: Asked mods to unban FTG, still depressed

2018: Grandmother died, still depressed

2019: Moved into a new apartment, still depressed.

However through all this I played various sorts of games and indulged in various hobbies. It's just that depression has made this last decade all very similar from day to day it's hard to pinpoint what events happened and where.

I'm pretty sure I started playing Mario Galaxy this decade. And man it was a magical experience (especially getting stuck on the second mission of good egg at the point where you had to use pull starts for the first time. My dumbass motions were not reflexive enough to time the spin right). For a very, very long time, until very recently, it was my favorite game. Ever. It was sad to see it dethroned, and I'm sure many people would be sad about the fact that it was a Fire Emblem that managed to nab the number one spot, but most of my gaming experience this decade were still with Mario. I grew up with Mario. And for that reason, I will always be thankful to Mario. I will always cherish him and look at him as the thing that fucking introduced me to gaming.

I wouldn't be here without you, Mario. Thank you so much for making me play your games!

I'm only 16 lol

2010: May have been the first year I played Mario, my first being MKW, which also happens to be the only Mario game I dislike.

2011: Super Mario Galaxy 2, which really got me into Mario.

2012: Super Paper Mario, Bowser's Inside Story, and Super Mario Galaxy 1, three games which are true masterpieces in my heart, still three of my favourite games of all time. What a year.

2013-2015: Nothing particularly interesting really, just playing some Wii/DS classics over and over 'cause I love them so much. I'm talking NSMBDS, SPM, SMG 1 & 2, MKW (not much 😡 ) BIS, NSMBW, DKCR, M&S@L2012OG, MP9

2016: Beat the Golden Temple in DKCR, which I had longed to do for a while. Yet to beat that game 100% because I'm too lazy lmao

2017: Now this is when my Mario life REALLY turned around. I discovered Super Mario Wiki, started watching Mario Let's Plays, and defeated
Super Dimentio
For the second time and I really got back into that game - didn't enjoy the gameplay as much but the charming story and characters etc. really reminded me why it's my favourite game.

2018: Decided I want TTYD, other than that, nothing remarkable, just playing my faves over and over. Recieved my GameCube for Xmas that year.

2019: First playthrough of TTYD, which is now my second favourite game of all time. Also played SMS for the first time, but I don't like it that much. Got my Wii U as well, hence my first playthrough of SM64 (the Wii Shop Channel went down, and before then I was never interested in playing older games and wanted only discs, so never got any points) and SSS (DS in poor condition, didn't have 3DS at the time, don't have GBA), also finished BIS finally as I could never beat the final boss as a child, got my 3DS, hence more BIS and first playthrough of SML 1 & 2.

Ranking years: 2012 > 2019 > 2017 > 2018 > 2011 > 2016 > 2013 = 2014 = 2015 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2010

Last edited:
I can't pinpoint exact years to a lot of this, but I think this is roughly in order. The amount of Mario stuff going on for me at the start of the decade was fairly limited, but I did make some good friends through a shared interest of it, and particularly boosted my interest in Mario Kart and Mario & Sonic, which are still going strong today. I think it remained quiet for a few years, getting games occasionally, and I got my 3DS in 2013 and spent hours playing 2012 3DS afterwards. And then I got a Wii U at Christmas in 2014/15 I want to say, along with Mario Kart 8, which I also spent a lot of time playing. This eventually led me to the wiki wondering what on Earth GXA stood for, and not really finding much apart from the sponsors gallery. Some time afterwards, I started looking into the Wiki more, and began to edit it to put off doing homework, and finally got around to making an account n the 27th of February 2017, and that's when it really all kicked off more. I started spending a lot more time on the WIki learning new things, and through that also eventually made it to the Boards, Deviant Art and Discord. I also started to get more Mario games and merchandise in that time, made another good friend through a shared interest of Mario. I also started to gain more confidence in showing off the interest as well, and started decorating my notebooks and making keyrings with Mario stuff on, which has also helped me to improve m art and sewing skills. I've also been able to play Mario Kart with just about all of my friends, and have introduced one of my closest friends to Mario games for the first time. I'd also have to add being promoted to a patroller as well, it came completely out of the blue for me and I still remember hardly being able to believe it when I got the message that morning. I think overall the best thing to come out of this decade Mario-wise for me was definitely finding and joining the Mario Wiki extended community, and I hope to stay here for the foreseeable future.

I got into Mario pretty much right at the start of the decade. I had gotten a DSi for Christmas in 2009, and in January 2010 my mom took me to get my first game. There wasn't much of a selection, so for some reason I picked Bowser's Inside Story. It was odd because at the time I thought Mario was stupid just because my brothers did. I was kind of embarrassed to bring a Mario game home, actually. I still remember the look of disappointment on my one brother's face. His disappointment didn't last long, though, because we both quickly got into the game, and then the series as a whole. The more games I played, the more I was obsessed. A friend introduced me to MKDS and MKWii. Promptly fell in love with that series. We got other games like NSMB and Mario Party and I was even more addicted. In the matter of a year, Mario became one of my favorite things.

The obsession died down for a bit, but for some reason it kept coming back in waves. I remember a particularly strong resurgence of my obsession back in 2014. I was playing my Wii a lot more often, and I think that's around the time I figured out what fanfiction was. My obsession died down again after a while, though.

My current obsession with Mario emerged in June 2018. I was spending a lot of time in my camper, and since I didn't have a whole lot to do, I brought my Wii to play. I got back into MKWii and Brawl. Of course, looking up stuff about Mario Kart and Smash made Ultimate trailers and MK8DX videos come up in my recommended. It looked so nice... I NEEDED a Switch. I got my Switch a month later, and, well, I am now struggling from addiction please help

27th of February 2017
That's my 14th birthday coincidence lol
I also gave a Maths speech that day

There wasn't much of a selection, so for some reason I picked Bowser's Inside Story. It was odd because at the time I thought Mario was stupid just because my brothers did. I was kind of embarrassed to bring a Mario game home, actually. I still remember the look of disappointment on my one brother's face. His disappointment didn't last long, though, because we both quickly got into the game, and then the series as a whole.
I love BIS as well. That and SPM made the Mario RPGs so special to me as a child and prompted me to put a lot of money into playing the rest of them because they proved to me that Mario wasn't stupid, it wasn't just for children, it has deep themes, it has existent stories and original characters. That's why having a story in a Mario game is such a big deal imo.

2010: I was already editing MarioWiki back then, since I had an account there in September 2009, where I joined only to vote in Featured Images. 2010 is when I got a forum account since I was interested in writing for The 'Shroom and I got addicted to this place as quick as I did for editing.

2011: I believe this was the year I got my first official Baby Luigi plushie? I had been dying for one since middle school (I was a high school sophomore at the time), had no luck online at all where the only plushies of Baby Luigi were the really rare ones like the UFO catcher ones. So as soon as my twin stumbled across his Amazon page, we simply had to get him. He still remains my favorite plushie to this day and I still take him around everywhere for good luck. <3

2012: This was the year I started getting into modding. My first mod I've released was this bad boy Koopa Troopa here. It was a vertex hacked Yoshi with MS Paint textures. It's not good at all, lol. I have come so far since then, but it was this connection with me starting to learning to develop mods and learning some modeling basics that I've established connections with teachers in the field who noticed how passionate I and LGM, that I taught and relayed knowledge into, that is how we got where we are today. 2012 is also when I first got Garry's Mod, which bolstered our love for 3D models.

2013: I don't even know what happened in this year. It was the Year of Luigi yeah but nothing was given about Baby Luigi so why should I care. Baby Luigi also got fucked over by Mario Tennis Open too and eventually Mario Kart Arcade GP DX. It wasn't a great year honestly, and it was my last year on Brawl Vault. Oh, 2013 was also the year New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star got released; Nintendo definitely was in a creative rut then. At least we got Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon out of it. The creative rut of a year I guess suits Luigi pretty well if you look at him with a cynical perspective lol.

2014: This was the year I've experienced significant increased abilities to mod the game, probably because I also graduated high school. I got Left 4 Dead 2 that year, which rekindled my love for shooting games and had definitely scratched that desire to see a first person shooter Mario game complete with Mario character view model hands. Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U also came out this year, and it was amazing, games I would eventually mod. In Garry's Mod, that's when I learned how to make ragdolls properly and it made me gain further knowledge in modding.

2015: I think this was the year I released my New Super Mario Bros. Wii Baby Mario Bros. mod, and that I became part of the RVLution community, at least in the summer, before the entire thing went down in flames. Though Mario game output for the year was fairly mediocre, so not much to say there, outside of the barebones Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Mario Party 10, and Wuper Wario Wanker. This was the year I made a properly proportioned Baby Luigi in Left 4 Dead 2 shooting zombies, and I still love this mod to this day.

2016: All things aside, especially with Walkazo's passing and Trump's election, this was when Wii U modding really took off. First glimpses of my derivative Baby Luigi characters that you see in my profile and signatures are seen in Project M starting out as recolors and eventually being into Smash Wii U as recolors, before evolving to be their own thing eventually. I think we also got into Mario Kart 8 modding this year too, which transferred itself into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe eventually.

2017: The lovely year of Mario Sports Superstars being released, the game that had Baby Luigi get his first tennis, golf, and soccer role that I had been dreaming for years (it was utterly fanservice for me) and the release of the Nintendo Switch. This year was also the release of Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which we eventually modded in 2019. LGM and I also got Grand Theft Auto V, learned to mod in characters, and instantly fell in love with that game, becoming a regular among us.

2018: This was the year when my Baby Luigi characters spun-off, eventually got unique designs and was carried over me developing them in my little drawing notebooks where I just draw little fun scenarios with them since 2017, and when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate got released. We got the brilliant Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, proving you can have a great and fun unique game with a stupid concept and I still want a sequel to this day. This year was also the year I started getting into Russian things in general, which had expanded my interests.

2019: This was when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got modded, though the release period for Mario games this year was very dry. 2019 is still relatively fresh in my mind, but at least I learned of Marmoset and actually started drawing full artwork again for me to computerize it. Oh, and I'm getting into Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart, which is really great and I'm drawing sprites for it. We got Dr. Baby Luigi this year!

I know this list is really just a general overview than a Mario specific one but screw it, Mario is such a part of my daily life anyway so it would be inevitable that Mario-related things are in it.

i literarly just got into mario early 2015 lmao
nothing much notable besides finally getting an actual nintendo console in late 2018 with mario odyssey which quickly became my favorite game ever
but yea the series means a lot to me still
2015: by a weird bunch of coincideces in january i get into mario thanks to vinesauce, smg4 and discovering mario wiki through wikipedia. i have no idea how this happened. the whole year i was making endless mario references and desperately trying to find another mario fan.. on this russian site.. 2015 zelen you fool mario is a super tiny fandom in russia
2016: i dont even remember?? pretty much a continuation of the previous year probably
2017: actually this whole year kinda faded from my memory and it also appears to be the year i was the least into mario. even despite the switch and mario odyssey releasing. lame
2018: by summer im actually slowly getting back into things and then i go feral over warioware this august because of orbulon. and Then i finally get a switch with mario odyssey that november and as i mentioned in that earlier post i fell in love immediately
2019: ive been going absolutely feral over mario the whole year now i just sorta accepted its my life now. even despite me getting into other things. oh yeah that was my first time playing snes games too somehow

2010: I make my YouTube channel and name it after Fawful because Fawful is great, probably my line of thought there: i was a simple fanboy. Videos were terrible and I had a tendency to shoehorn A Troll in Central Park where it doesn't belong.

2011: I start 11th grade in a new home after my parents send me to a childrens' home. Meet my first girlfriend and annoy everyone and their mother about the "best character ever," Fawful. Also often loudly humming either The Ultimate Show, In The Final, or the diabetic songs in Troll in Central Park. Also can often be found watching the Paper Mario 3DS trailer on repeat in excited glee about how it's definitely gonna live up to the Paper Mario games I've played.

2012: The long-awaited "Paper Mario 3DS" finally lands in my claws, and as Thanos said "Reality is often disappointing."

2013: I turn 18 and return to New York. Super Mario Boards becomes my first fandom home on the Internet, and I also get a satisfying 3DS MaRPG at last, in Dream Team. Antasma is introduced and joins Fawful, Dimentio, Cackletta, Count Bleck and the gang in recurring status in my drawings.

2014: IRL my life takes a plunge for the depressing. But Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 both release this year, and as I recall one of the hypest moments was finding out there'd finally be a Paper Mario stage in Smash (though i was disappointed at the disproportionately large amount of Sticker Star compared to the rest of the series).

2015: I was banned on this forum, huge wake up call to my toxic nature. I remember E3 of this year vividly, as it was when Paper Jam was announced, and I was immediately uneasy about the lack of OCs, which turned out to be exactly what I dreaded. But on the other hand, Super Mario Maker dropped, far and away my favorite Wii U game. It spawned so many memories from 2015 all the way to SMM2's release in 2019 of making levels, sharing them with streamers, and playing all the cool levels others came up with. And of course the hot garbage lmao.

2016: The Color Splash Year. I'd finally stopped watching intently for Directs, so the one that actually announced a Paper Mario game, I actually missed it. I found out about Color Splash's existence by going onto Facebook to find people to join my Mario Kart 8 room. I immediately cancelled what I was doing to watch the CS trailer and give my thoughts on it: they were very worried. And I wasn't alone, many YouTubers were thinking similar thoughts. Well the game came and released, as expected it had no original characters and played like Sticker Star, but at least it had unique locations and better writing, as well as Bowser and Luigi speaking and Huey being a much better character than Kersti. Still, I hope the classic style of RPG Paper Mario comes back next time, and the ban on original characters is lifted.

2017: I return to Mario Boards shortly after the reveal of Super Mario Odyssey, easily one of the most hype reveals I watched live. Then later during E3 my dreams were lifted even higher as Superstar Saga, in all its nostalgic glory, was shown off remastered for the 3DS, with all its fun, sadly forgotten characters finally getting modern-day appearances. Not only was Fawful finally back, but also Cackletta, Prince Peasley, Popple, and all the other zany Beanbean characters. I was ecstatic.

2018: An early Nintendo Direct surprises everyone with a teaster for Smash Bros. on Switch (and me personally with a remake of Bowser's Inside Story, which I screamed loudly for the reveal of). E3 came and as someone hoping for Waluigi, i was a tad salty when he was shown as an assist again after they promoted Daisy (a character that had been soured for me due to toxic fans). Regardless, Ultimate was a ton of fun when I got it, and Piranha Plant became an unlikely main for me. It's just so fun to drop spiked balls on players trying to recover with Ptooie.

2019: This year, I finally got my hands on BIS DX, and was introduced to 3 new villains in the side mode: Dieter, Kaley and Beef, who have also become recurring in my drawings (this seems to be a pretty easy thing to do these days: with how scarce new characters are in the RPGs, whenever there are new ones I will draw them a lot). Later we got Super Mario Maker 2, with which I'm having a blast to this day. My life is changing in ways I'm not ready to disclose, which is why I haven't had a new YT video in a while, but I'm looking forward to the future, in Mario and beyond!
dcjwk7k-8196e4d5-802f-490b-a64d-bdb70ae4fb3e.gif

Wow just found this now

2010: I love Fawful also
2011: The Ultimate Show and In the Final are music to my ears both literally and metaphorically. I was obsessed with TUS back in 2017 and couldn't stop listening to remixes of it following my second any% completion of SPM. I got into ITF more recently as I could never beat Dark Bowser as a child so it is only this year that I came back to and finished BIS and was reminded of this godly theme.
2012: I haven't played Sticker Star myself, but when I found out SPM was part of a series not just on its own I initially just thought "nah, I'll never get to play them all" but I eventually decided to get TTYD and was not at all dissapointed, I'm going to be starting PM64 next week and my hype is through the roof! I don't anticipate SS and CS quite as much but despite how hated they are they still look like decent games on their own.
2014: Sad to hear you were sad 🙁
2015: I was ruder when I was younger too, but I think I am better now. You also seem really good rn so if you ever were that toxic I am sure you have improved massively. I look forward to SMM1 but don't have a Switch. I am hyped for other Wii U games, ee https://www.thetoptens.com/337405/
I'm going to post a new link somewhere on this site once I update it with more games.
2017: Looking forward to playing SSS+BM
2018: I was very amused by your reaction to BIS+BJJ and I look forward to playing it too.
2019: I wish you all the best for the future and look forward to your return on YT. 🙂

2010: Being the year following the Christmas I got my Wii, this was essentially the birth of my passion for gaming. I played my earliest Mario games during this timespan: Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Mario Party 8. I made some of my fondest memories with Mario and with my siblings with those three games, so naturally, they mean a lot to me even today.
I more or less had the same thing but swap MP8 for MP9

2013: A largely uneventful year, until December. That was when we got the Wii U, complete with New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World. I got to relive the experience of getting a new console for the first time, and it was new fuel for my long-running gaming fire. My little sister, born shortly before we got our Wii, was four now, and we got to have a five-player gaming experience for the first time.
It took me seven years but I finally got myself one of those! 😊
2016: Dream Team took a good long while to beat, but I still couldn't help but feel disappointed when it was all over. I needed more. So I got Color Splash on my first birthday away from home, and Paper Jam the following Christmas. While they never quite had the magic of Dream Team, they were good solid games and I thoroughly enjoyed them both.
If you see my list earlier I really anticipate Dream Team. CS and PJ look like comparitive dissapointments compared to the imo epic RPGs preceeding them but they still look very much worth a play so I'll be sure to check them out
2017: New console arrives once again! This was the year I welcomed the new Nintendo Switch and the legendary Super Mario Odyssey into my living room. Earlier that year, in March, I joined the Super Mario Wiki, which I had previously only lurked on, as well as its forums; both sites became critical places of character development for me, and I don't know where I'd be without the community that helped me get to where I am now, It was also the year I finally turned 13, and even though Miiverse had shut down only weeks before my 13th birthday, I still acquired an NNID and Nintendo Account, and went online in games for the first time.
I never got to experience Miiverse in the first place. I still don't have a switch but again see my link, I really look forward to SMO. I have really enjoyed getting into Super Mario Wiki and Boards.
2018: Got to experience my first taste of homebrew with Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, although I was still too paranoid to use any permanent hacks on my Wii. Unfortunately, this was also the year my 3DS broke after just over four years of use, and while this still remains the case today, I now view this event as a necessary stepping stone to the experiences I had in 2019. This was also the year I entered the Kirby fandom, and while this isn't particularly related to Mario, it was the first franchise I dove into that didn't star the red plumber, showing to myself that I was still able to find other interests besides Mario and that it wasn't too late.
I am also very scared to hack my consoles so I am trying to figure out a way to use Riivolution on Dolphin to play the Championship Galaxy by mk7t. I'm worried for my 3DS to break as there's so much I want to do on it but do not forget about Citra (I'm not going to share any illegal links here, but if you are able to load DT on Citra enjoy yourself).
2019: As an aftermath to the demise of my 3DS last year, and a growing desire to explore outside official territory, I finally mustered the courage to use homebrew on both my Wii and Wii U. Boy, am I glad I did. I finally changed a piece of code in a game (have any idea how satisfying that was?), and I got to experience all sorts of games I hadn't before, classic and new. With my eldest sister moving off to college earlier this year and my 15th birthday coming in less than two weeks, I look back on the decade with fondness. I see how much I've grown over the years, how much life has changed for me since that fateful Christmas almost ten years ago. Mario, gaming, and this community have shaped much of who I am, and I don't know where I'd be without it all. Thank you, Nintendo. And thank you, Mario Boards!
Nice. What benefits of homebrew for my Wii and Wii U do you most recommend?

I really like SMG cause when I was younger I got it for Xmas and loved it. I'm replaying it curently.
Do you mean 1, 2, or both. Personally, I love them both strongly.

As I said, I'm trying to find out if I can load the Championship Galaxy on Dolphin. I'll probably wait until my PS4 controller arrives so that I can map motion controls to motion controls and touchpad to pointer. That and an HD texture pack would be godly.

Nice. What benefits of homebrew for my Wii and Wii U do you most recommend?
First and foremost, modding. The ability to manipulate your favorite games in any way you want is truly an amazing thing. Thanks to homebrew, I got to play as Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash 4, race 3 full laps along N64 Rainbow Road as Kirby in Mario Kart 8, modify the text of Paper Mario 2 to change the plotline and partner names...you name it. Modding makes all of that possible. It can be a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it.

Other than that, well, there's tons more homebrew can do as well. You can use cheats to add extra settings to games (such as playing solo Dedede in Kirby's Return to Dream Land), add extra data management options to back up save data and install online savegames (even beyond what official options would allow), dump game ROMs and play them on emulators, and even use emulators on the console itself. (By far my favorite of these utilities is the Wii U Nintendont Forwarder, which allows you to play GameCube games on the Wii U with the GamePad.)

Hacking a console is actually fairly simple and low-risk, at least as far as Wii and Wii U go. The Wii is often cited as the easiest console out there to mod, and in about 15 minutes you can get the Homebrew Channel installed on the Wii Menu. There's plenty of clear instructions on doing so, and as long as you can follow those directions, you're not bricking your console. It helps that the Wii's been around for 13+ years, so there are plenty of failsafes implemented if you make a mistake. It's about as foolproof as you can get. As for Wii U, everything on that is done via an Internet Browser exploit and everything is reset back to its normal state once you power off the console, so no risks there.

This is all coming from a guy who was paranoid of any kind of homebrew until he actually tried it. I definitely recommend going for it.

Do you mean 1, 2, or both. Personally, I love them both strongly.

As I said, I'm trying to find out if I can load the Championship Galaxy on Dolphin. I'll probably wait until my PS4 controller arrives so that I can map motion controls to motion controls and touchpad to pointer. That and an HD texture pack would be godly.
I was talking about 1, but I love them both. #SMG3

First and foremost, modding. The ability to manipulate your favorite games in any way you want is truly an amazing thing. Thanks to homebrew, I got to play as Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash 4, race 3 full laps along N64 Rainbow Road as Kirby in Mario Kart 8, modify the text of Paper Mario 2 to change the plotline and partner names...you name it. Modding makes all of that possible. It can be a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it.

Other than that, well, there's tons more homebrew can do as well. You can use cheats to add extra settings to games (such as playing solo Dedede in Kirby's Return to Dream Land), add extra data management options to back up save data and install online savegames (even beyond what official options would allow), dump game ROMs and play them on emulators, and even use emulators on the console itself. (By far my favorite of these utilities is the Wii U Nintendont Forwarder, which allows you to play GameCube games on the Wii U with the GamePad.)

Hacking a console is actually fairly simple and low-risk, at least as far as Wii and Wii U go. The Wii is often cited as the easiest console out there to mod, and in about 15 minutes you can get the Homebrew Channel installed on the Wii Menu. There's plenty of clear instructions on doing so, and as long as you can follow those directions, you're not bricking your console. It helps that the Wii's been around for 13+ years, so there are plenty of failsafes implemented if you make a mistake. It's about as foolproof as you can get. As for Wii U, everything on that is done via an Internet Browser exploit and everything is reset back to its normal state once you power off the console, so no risks there.

This is all coming from a guy who was paranoid of any kind of homebrew until he actually tried it. I definitely recommend going for it.

You should get into Switch hacking at some point, you won't regret it. :)

2010: I was nearing the tail end of high school and it was about this time I started to develop depression. sleeping through classes, not doing much of anything except stare at the ceiling and play the odd video game here and there.

2011: More of the same except I met the first love of my life.

2012: Still depressed and had basically dropped out of high school.

2013: It's all a big blur of depression, the odd video game and spending time with my girlfriend.

2014: finally went back to school and finished it, still depressed

2015: Joined this website, met lots of cool people, girlfriend left me because I wasn't making anything of myself, still depressed

2016: Started taking meds for depression, still depressed

2017: Asked mods to unban FTG, still depressed

2018: Grandmother died, still depressed

2019: Moved into a new apartment, still depressed.

However through all this I played various sorts of games and indulged in various hobbies. It's just that depression has made this last decade all very similar from day to day it's hard to pinpoint what events happened and where.
Hey man I'm sorry your Grandmother died. I know it must have been a hard time for you.

Perhaps one day, when system updates start to slow down and Nintendo puts the banhammer at rest. But for now, there's still plenty more I can explore with Wii and Wii U, so I won't be running out of stuff to do anytime soon.
I'm only 16 lol

2010: May have been the first year I played Mario, my first being MKW, which also happens to be the only Mario game I dislike.

2011: Super Mario Galaxy 2, which really got me into Mario.

2012: Super Paper Mario, Bowser's Inside Story, and Super Mario Galaxy 1, three games which are true masterpieces in my heart, still three of my favourite games of all time. What a year.

2013-2015: Nothing particularly interesting really, just playing some Wii/DS classics over and over 'cause I love them so much. I'm talking NSMBDS, SPM, SMG 1 & 2, MKW (not much 😡 ) BIS, NSMBW, DKCR, M&S@L2012OG, MP9

2016: Beat the Golden Temple in DKCR, which I had longed to do for a while. Yet to beat that game 100% because I'm too lazy lmao

2017: Now this is when my Mario life REALLY turned around. I discovered Super Mario Wiki, started watching Mario Let's Plays, and defeated
Super Dimentio
For the second time and I really got back into that game - didn't enjoy the gameplay as much but the charming story and characters etc. really reminded me why it's my favourite game.

2018: Decided I want TTYD, other than that, nothing remarkable, just playing my faves over and over. Recieved my GameCube for Xmas that year.

2019: First playthrough of TTYD, which is now my second favourite game of all time. Also played SMS for the first time, but I don't like it that much. Got my Wii U as well, hence my first playthrough of SM64 (the Wii Shop Channel went down, and before then I was never interested in playing older games and wanted only discs, so never got any points) and SSS (DS in poor condition, didn't have 3DS at the time, don't have GBA), also finished BIS finally as I could never beat the final boss as a child, got my 3DS, hence more BIS and first playthrough of SML 1 & 2.

Ranking years: 2012 > 2019 > 2017 > 2018 > 2011 > 2016 > 2013 = 2014 = 2015 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2010
O-M-G... MKW Was my first Mario game too.

Surely all the same modding would be easier to just get an iso and do all that using a ROM hack and testing them on Dolphin/Cemu without having to go to-and-fro between console and PC?

Using cheat codes is very easy once you have Dolphin, I have done it and it's pretty good.

They say that you shouldn't update your Wii once it is modded, but are there any other precautions?

Backing up save data is never something which hugely appealed to me as preserving my old save files never sounded crucial imo. I found a Google Drive folder which has save files for basically every point in SPM, so that plus Dolphin lets me play any part of SPM whenever I want to.

Saying this is sort of controversial, but, downloading isos of games you own online is far easier than dumping them yourself. I wouldn't say they're ethically any different as in both cases you've payed both for the console and the game, and you are just taking that to your PC without affecting anyone else. Even if we are debating the legality of these two things, you are creating an additional copy in both cases, which by default is a violation of copyright, but also potentially legally defensible, since you're not harming the business so the "fair use" argument applies (I actually live in UK where the laws seem to be generally stricter so I doubt either of them could be justified legally.) However legality and ethics are very different and I'd argue that in this case it is only the latter that really matters as the former is extremely unlikely to come into play, so even if you do accept that ripping/downloading games is illegal, I do not think it is bad to do either if you have bought them already as nobody is harmed. If I were on Dolphin forums I'd be banned by now (in addition, on many emulator-related reddits you can get instantly permabanned just for mentioning dls as well) but the rules on this website only say "No requesting, sharing of or linking to illegal wares", so I should be fine.

Is there really any point to loading an emulator on a console, as my PC stands far above them all performance-wise?

Last edited:
Emulation on a PC is resource heavy. You'll need a pretty strong PC to run them nicely even though computers are a lot stronger. You may not achieve always perfect speeds and even if your PC is top notch, emulation quality for some games do differ. Also, you need some USB controller to have the best experience, which I use an Xbox controller or a Switch Pro controller with Steam account configuration. You can also use bluetooth, I think, for Wii controllers. Also, on Wii U, that gamepad has to be emulated, and on Wii you have to map something to motion controls, and it's not super intuitive from my experience. Finally, ISOs eat up a lot of space on the PC, and obtaining ISOs can be tricky and illegal in the first place because there's a lot of cites sharing that stuff, some of them not legitimate and can look fishy with "free download". So it's a lot easier to just get an SD card and modify the console (with your fears being generally exaggerated), and you can actually protect your console better since you now have access to NAND backups (and Nintendo.has bricked consoles with their updates, see one infamous Wii update).

I think precautions would be just to avoid future updates since they are generally aimed at removing Homebrew. You can disable internet, block Nintendo's internet with a particular DNS. But aside from that, I guess in precautions, no, but make sure what software you want to install is legit, not given through random users on Discord. But in the end, this is completely legal.

Also it's easy to dump ISOs. You might need to decrypt it and stuff to open folders that you need to mod in the first place, but you'll have to do this to any downloaded ISOs. And it's "less" dubious than downloading an ISO (without using a VPN) since there's no way they know you're dumping a game.

Back