Has Mario taught you anything?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
So, Mario has some educational games, they all blow so let's talk about how every other games taught you stuff.

It made me realize that speed is a good trait to get to higher heights, also,it indirectly taught me that Solar Systems are still big even if they're not as big as a galaxy

Thanks to Mario Party 8, I say "thrice" instead of the unnecessarily long "three times". More people should use the word "thrice", it's so much more convenient...

Also it taught me a good deal about momentum. Speed makes you jump higher!

And another thing: black holes are deadly. Thanks, Mario Galaxy.

Did I mention it taught me to drive? Wait, what's that? Real driving is nothing like Mario Kart? Dang...never mind then, I should go and actually learn how to drive.

I have learned from Mario games that simplicity and accessibility are strengths, not weaknesses. Every Mario game is usually friendly for people who don't usually play games, since it's easy to learn and some even have some things to help less-skilled players (example: Mario Kart's item system and Mario Party's luck factor). For example, in Paper Mario's first two games, Attack is denoted by the damage done so when a Jump has 1 Attack, it does 1 damage. Defence is also easily explained, as it's the damage reduced, meaning that having 1 Defence makes a 2 Attack move do 1 damage.

It also taught me that the main series isn't the be-all, end-all for a character's potential and the limit on their enjoyability. We have Waluigi and Toadette, both who debuted in spin-offs, yet they appeared extremely frequently compared to the norm that they might as well be main characters, even over actual those who appeared in the main series (example: FLUDD and Lubba). It's also because people liked those characters so their presence are still meaningful.

Perhaps on a more sombre note, it also taught me that full consistency is what is the driving force of enjoyability. Say what you want about Pokemon having a lack of innovation, but they are still enjoyable. The two biggest examples in this case are Mario Party and Paper Mario, especially Mario Party given that it's the most experimental series. The board system is likely seen as the biggest appeal if the fan reaction is of any indication, because everything else is more or less consistent with past entries (the minigames!). As for Paper Mario, it's probable that the identity of the series is different between the developers (the paper!) and the fans (the story!).

On a funner note, Mario Kart might have given me a better grasp at driving than I'm willing to admit (because it's difficult to quantify).

Thank you for reading.

i think i gotta thank mario for significantly bettering my english through mario wiki and youtube videos
and also my love for eating mushrooms
theres prob other examples of this but i cant think of anything rn

Quite a lot, actually- I've picked up a lot of random trivia that comes in useful for quizzes and other general knowledge stuff. For example, OPEC is mentioned in the comic for White Knuckle Scorin', I remembered it had something to do with oil, and it came in useful when it came up as a crossword clue for a friend. I also managed to absolutely smash everyone in an Olympics quiz before just using knowledge from the first Mario & Sonic game, plus a whole lot of extra trivia from later ones (Did you know the foul line in curling is called a hog line? I didn't until I looked it up to write the article the other week). Aside from that, I've learned various new words, both in English and other languages, and other pieces of general trivia.

Speaking of sports, Mario taught me quite a bit in golfing terminology. Bogey, Eagle, Birdie, Par, OB, wood, iron, hybrid, sand wedge, draw, fade, backspin, lay, wind speed, rain affecting putting, etc.

Speaking of sports, Mario taught me quite a bit in golfing terminology. Bogey, Eagle, Birdie, Par, OB, wood, iron, hybrid, sand wedge, draw, fade, backspin, lay, wind speed, rain affecting putting, etc.

Pretty much all my sports knowledge comes from Mario :P

Well, playing Mario games greatly improved my gaming skills as a whole. I used to suck really badly at video games. I had never even beaten one before I beat Galaxy. Then I beat Odyssey (without the assist mode at all!) and now I'm on my way to beating LM3. I went from sucking to being passable, so that's pretty good.

Mario Kart has always been the one exception to my video game suck-ery. For some reason, I am naturally good at any Mario Kart I pick up. There isn't a whole lot of real life knowledge to be learned from those games, but at least they taught me that it is, in fact, possible for me to be actually good at a video game.

oh oh yeah same!!! even with odyssey helping me in that regard. i cant exactly remember how it affected me for some reason but im pretty sure it did.
i think im less cautious now? moreso when there are no lives systems involved lmao.

Lives are the worst. I don't know why I'm so worried about running out of fictional lives that can be easily replaced, but I'm constantly stressed out by them. I have yet to finish a game from the NSMB series because I die constantly, and the thought of running out of lives terrifies me. It's a stupid fear, but a fear nonetheless.

You're not the only person who has this fear. I'd imagine plenty of people do. Lives don't add anything to the game, they're archaic mechanics these days and I wish they dissipated altogether. The same thing with timers in the 2d platformers.

Anyway, playing a game in a different language can help you pick up vocabulary in a foreign one. Some translations from Mario Party Island Tour, for example, made me learn some Russian vocabulary. One of the best ways to learn a different language is exposure, and I strongly appreciate anything that's dubbed into Russian in general.

Also, my knowledge of golf terms came from Mario Golf games. Feels good.

Mario is Missing taught me how bad edutainment games can get, btw, and why it's perfectly fine for adults to lambast its blatant inaccuracies. A game like this shouldn't teach kids that they can see the Great Wall of China from space or claiming that France is the biggest country in Europe and China the biggest country in Asia.

WARNING super cheesy and sappy personal story ahead,
but I got to say it..

Mario is a special interest to this autistic enby for a reason.. he was my first role model. In a times of a bad childhood. I lived with parents that didn't get along, so I was surrounded by tension and passive aggression at home. And then at the republican dominated white suburban elementary school, there was needless competition of how to be a "fit man"/"fit woman", all archaic mentalities mind you, again surrounded by tension and aggression from both students & staff. Most of my surroundings in upbringing, were just.. unfun.

Mario was my escape. He showed me that life can be fun, that there's hope somewhere out there. That men can be cute and silly, open with their feelings, wear vibrant clothes, and even be emotionally supportive to others. He is the man i needed in my life. So to this day I honor that Mario man, for always being there for me, through the bad and good times. Oh yeah, Luigi's cool too.

That I'm a psychopath for dropping the penguin off the side of the level.

Picked up some teamwork skills in games like SMB3 and SM64. My family and I would work together to beat the game. Puzzle-solving, hand-eye coordination, spacial ability. Would have picked them up in some part through Mario games.

Through Mario Kart tournaments I found out I was "good at videogames" and not only good against family. Also learnt I'm ambitious and competitive. So that's nice. Won a bunch of stuff through tournaments but about 15 years too early for e-sports to be a real career prospect. Ooohhh weeell, at least I have a Gamecube to show for it.​

WARNING super cheesy and sappy personal story ahead,
but I got to say it..

Mario is a special interest to this autistic enby for a reason.. he was my first role model. In a times of a bad childhood. I lived with parents that didn't get along, so I was surrounded by tension and passive aggression at home. And then at the republican dominated white suburban elementary school, there was needless competition of how to be a "fit man"/"fit woman", all archaic mentalities mind you, again surrounded by tension and aggression from both students & staff. Most of my surroundings in upbringing, were just.. unfun.

Mario was my escape. He showed me that life can be fun, that there's hope somewhere out there. That men can be cute and silly, open with their feelings, wear vibrant clothes, and even be emotionally supportive to others. He is the man i needed in my life. So to this day I honor that Mario man, for always being there for me, through the bad and good times. Oh yeah, Luigi's cool too.
Aw, it's not cheesy?

Btw, Mario's the type that'll love you regardless of your orientation too. There's a character personality trait from some guide that says he's tolerant, he's been to way too many places to have a closed mind.

I do say Mario's not the only guy who's like this, ha, but I'm happy he's such a notable example for you. :happy:

Mario taught me that red and blue is a quality colour combination.

Super Mario Odyssey's Jump Up Super Star taught me that "panache" has its own pronunciation prompting me to look up the definition: "flamboyant confidence of style or manner"

Previously, I had read the word in Luigi's intro from SM64DS "now he can pummel enemies with panache" but I had just read it as "panic" and pictured Luigi plowing through enemies while frantically flailing his arms in front of him like he does in Smash.

it took a while and a few playthroughs but paper mario did eventually train me to count 30 seconds in my head

It taught me to always have a watch handy.

Uhhh Let's see. Mario taught me that videogames could be a lot of fun when I knew nothing about them (I eventually realized it's also important to play other franchises).

He also taught me that a cartoon human mascot can be way cooler than various animal mascots. He's a great mascot with a great design.

Aaaaand he also raised my English grades super high thanks to his games being in English too! Who knew Mario games could do that.

Back