Banjo Kazooie thread

Teedgee

wheres the bathroom
Pronouns
He/Him
MarioWiki
Toadgamer
Kinda weird no-one has done a thread about this (at least to my knowledge).

So yeah, here we talk about yogi bear and red from angry birds' wacky adventures.

I think nobody bothered to make the thread since (1) their last game was years ago and (2) there is a general lack of interest. The last time there was interest in them was because they appear in Smash as fighters, in which case conversation about them went into the Smash thread. From the fact that you have made this thread, I surmise that you have a lot to talk about them.

I suppose what I could contribute is that I didn't know that Banjo already had a game underway when Diddy Kong Racing was developed. In this case it could be viewed as an advertisement for his upcoming game, and in fact the manual mentioned Kazooie so it's not like Kazooie is a late addition. Makes it all the more amusing since it's easily assumed that Banjo is figuratively Donkey Kong's long line of successors (original DK -> DK Country -> Diddy -> Banjo).

Thank you for reading.

I suppose what I could contribute is that I didn't know that Banjo already had a game underway when Diddy Kong Racing was developed. In this case it could be viewed as an advertisement for his upcoming game, and in fact the manual mentioned Kazooie so it's not like Kazooie is a late addition. Makes it all the more amusing since it's easily assumed that Banjo is figuratively Donkey Kong's long line of successors (original DK -> DK Country -> Diddy -> Banjo).

It was absolutely an advertisement. It's the same reason Conker was in although I think Bad Fur Day was still Twelve Tales at this time. I doubt he would have been included if they had known how vulgar his game would end up.

Kazooie actually could be considered a late addition. Hell, Banjo could even be considered a late addition. Banjo-Kazooie was originally a SNES game with the working title "Dream" which featured a human protagonist. Banjo was initially an NPC but at some point he became the star. Kazooie was added later when they decided to give Banjo a double jump.

It was absolutely an advertisement. It's the same reason Conker was in although I think Bad Fur Day was still Twelve Tales at this time. I doubt he would have been included if they had known how vulgar his game would end up.

Kazooie actually could be considered a late addition. Hell, Banjo could even be considered a late addition. Banjo-Kazooie was originally a SNES game with the working title "Dream" which featured a human protagonist. Banjo was initially an NPC but at some point he became the star. Kazooie was added later when they decided to give Banjo a double jump.
That's fascinating! It's always delightful to learn that well-loved characters are added because of a simple need, such as how Luigi was created to give Mario's first titular game a second player (actually the same could be said for most main Mario characters). From the looks of it, that ended up being beneficial in the long run, because of their signature combination (when you say "bear and bird" in relation to a video game, this is the prime example).

The Conker one is funny because when they changed the direction of the series, the manual treated his appearance in the past two games as past shames as if Conker was always meant to have a cynical worldview. It honestly felt like an irreversible characterisation, since I don't think people will take kindly to Conker being a goody-two-shoes squirrel ever again.

Thank you for reading.

That's fascinating! It's always delightful to learn that well-loved characters are added because of a simple need, such as how Luigi was created to give Mario's first titular game a second player (actually the same could be said for most main Mario characters).

I know what you mean. I love discovering stuff like that about old games. So many things that have been long-lasting and iconic, like Mario's stache and hat exist for such simple reasons. The devs probably didn't even think twice about stuff like that at the time and when you play the game, you just take that kind of stuff for granted without even considering how it got there.

So how many people here are fans of Banjo? Who else grew up with those games? It was definitely one of the defining series of my childhood. What would people think of a remake in the same vein as the Crash and Spyro ones?

So how many people here are fans of Banjo? Who else grew up with those games? It was definitely one of the defining series of my childhood. What would people think of a remake in the same vein as the Crash and Spyro ones?
I do enjoy the first two games they have, but the parent company being exclusive to Microsoft might be a bit of a conundrum, if you compare to Crash/Spyro. Those two have the advantage of being third-party so they can be widely published, Banjo-Kazooie, on the other hand, is Microsoft so it's unlikely for them to be released outside Microsoft services, except maybe an honorary Switch version.

Plus, they already have HD versions of their original games (unlike Crash/Spyro, which never have any HD updates beforehand) so I am not sure if they want to spend the effort to do over the game a third time, unless they use the Banjo-Kazooie X concept, with a subversive version of the original game(s).

Thank you for reading.

That is a good point about the HD versions of BK/BT. But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the success of Crash and Spyro will result in more 3D platformers/collectathons. I would love a new Banjo, but I honestly don't have much faith in modern Rare to pull it off so I think a remake would have a better chance of being good.

A new Banjo might be the one title that would make be buy a new Xbox. I didn't buy the One, and the only titles that tempted me were Master Chief Collection (stoked to play it on pc) and Rare Replay, which is kind of silly since they weren't even new games. If it came to Switch that would be even better.

Ah, I always felt like I would have been a fan of it if I owned it, I only got to play it once, on a projector screen at my cousins house. I liked the spider and witch.

Banjo-Kazooie is brilliant and you should play it if you haven't.

Nuts & Bolts is also cool and better then Tooie.

I want a new game after remaster after remaster at this point. So just give us a new game now, give us new and improved. Mario (by virtue of Super Mario Odyssey) still rules 3D platforming, so give it a little bit of competition.

There's rumors of a new Crash coming soon. I'm hopeful that developers will start to realize that people will buy platformers even if they don't have Mario in them.

I started playing Banjo-Kazooie today, it's pretty fun. Camera can be buggy at times but it plays fairly well and I've been enjoying it. Right now I have eight puzzle pieces in Mumbo's Mountain.

Also Kazooie's hilarious and I can definitely relate to Banjo.

Back