My gripes with Mario Kart 7

64-Bit Nintendo Machine

64 Bits of Power!
The Rubber-Banding: Like in MKWii, you can get hit by like 4 items in a row. Just now I was playing the game and got hit by three red shells and a blue shell in a very short time frame. Computers are also insanely fast, but as a drawback suffer from poor A.I (they fall off cliffs and get hit by track obstacles).

The Roster: NO WALUIGI!!!! Also, two of the new characters don't appear elsewhere in Mario Kart. Also, where's my unlocking variety?

You can't play VS mode in Single Player: Why? the other two handheld Mario Karts had this feature so why not this one?

Post gripes you've had with the game.

Lack of single player VS Mode was a huge problem for me until I bought a second 3DS. Now I can play VS Mode by myself, although I do feel kind of bad for leaving player 2 doing nothing and losing every race. I often put player 2 on my team as a challenge, to see if I can still beat the other team even with a useless teammate.

Lack of Waluigi is another problem. Not because I want to play as him, but because I want to him to be on the opposing team (the losing team). I said in another topic that my favorite thing to do in the spinoffs is seeing Waluigi lose, and I can't do that in this game.

I will never understand why they put Waluigi Pinball in that game but not Waluigi himself.

you can get hit by like 4 items in a row. Just now I was playing the game and got hit by three red shells and a blue shell in a very short time frame.
There's strategies to avoid this. When you're in 1st place you want to prioritize defence items. Always drag one behind you so you can hold another. The ideal defense is dragging a banana or shell behind you with a mushroom/star in your hold slot. That way you're protected from both red and blue shells.
When you're behind in the race, you want to take advantage of every short-cut and drift/jump-boosts while staying close to the inner-turns- these are more helpful to getting ahead than the non-mushroom/star items. Also keep this up while in 1st, the further you distance yourself from the opponents, the less they can shoot at you.
It's also good to note, there can only be one blue shell per lap.

I will never understand why they put Waluigi Pinball in that game but not Waluigi himself.
I vaguely remember an article saying it was due to the creators running out of time because of the deadline.
And it explained that Metal Mario could be worked in because he was easier being a reskin.

Last edited:
It's also good to note, there can only be one blue shell per lap.
Is that really true? I've definitely been Spiny Shelled four times in one race before, and I'm fairly sure one of my friends got five.

I will never understand why they put Baby Park in Mario Kart DS but not Baby Mario and Baby Luigi themselves.

The multiplayer, even the multi cart one, can be bollocks. Timers everywhere, can't pause, can't go back a screen once you advanced to team select, randomizer for stage select. They just lazily copied the set up from online and it shows.

What's the general consensus about Mario Kart 7? Is it good or bad in comparison to other Mario Karts? I've never actually owned it, I only played a race or two on someone else's 3DS. Most of my knowledge about it is secondhand.

It seems just bog standard with an underwhelming roster. The tracks are pretty good despite stinkers like Cheep Cheep Lagoon; most people say Rainbow Road in the Nitro cups is the best one in the series. They also started the trend with the big course having three sections rather than three laps, but Rainbow Road is the one worth playing the most. Wuhu Loop is all right, but I didn't like Maka Wuhu. There's no VS mode, so you have to play entire cups to play a particular track. Coins are okay, I guess, but the last part to unlock (Gold body) is a ridiculous grind. Battle Mode is all right, better than Mario Kart Wii's.

I just wish they saved some of the retro tracks for Mario Kart 8. It's like they specifically picked out all my favorite courses from MKDS and MKWii and put them into the one game that I would never own. I would kill to play Waluigi Pinball, Maple Treeway, Airship Fortress, Koopa Cape, etc in HD. Oh well. Maybe they'll come out with a Mario Kart 9 one of these days...

Is that really true? I've definitely been Spiny Shelled four times in one race before, and I'm fairly sure one of my friends got five.
Multiplayer I'm guessing? I did every cup with every character on every difficulty on single player (to make coin grinding more interesting) and it was always only 0-1 blue shell per lap.

From the Mario Kart games I own:
Mario Kart Wii > Mario Kart 7 >>> Mario Kart: Super Circuit.

Full report of Mario Kart 7:
It is a good game to play if you want to play Mario Kart on the 3DS. And until Mario Kart Tour happened, MK7 was the cheapest way to play Mario Kart. Although, some devices like my tablet can't play Mario Kart Tour, so MK7 may still be the cheapest way to play Mario Kart. Plus MK7 is on an official Nintendo product. The controls are very good to. And though manual is on no matter what, it is easier to get use to then Mario Kart Wii's on either Wii Remote or Wii Remote and Nunchuck. For my point of view. Coins are an interesting concept and function pretty good. But Mario Kart Wii was good without having those coins. Unlocking stuff is also tied into coins and it is mostly ok. It is just the higher value stuff that takes a grind for. Online is also good. But I don't have MKW online so I can't really compare it. But one can select any course they want to play on and it goes onto a roulette line that randomly chooses which course to play on from the list of all the players playing in the same room. You don't even have to chose a course, since you can also pick random if you don't want to chose. The graphics are also good even though they aren't exactly the same as Wii's, but those can't be truly compared. All of the courses are great on both games too. But the one thing Wii does better is motion controls is better than 7's. And due to this, I like Mario Kart Wii just a little bit better than Mario Kart 7.

Back