Mario Party Recommendations

Which Mario Party games do you most recommend?

• Total voters

Grape

The baddest of the bunch, the villain of the vine!
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
Hello all,

I grew up on Mario Party 9 and I have always loved it. I ranked it as tenth on my TheTopTens remix. I played Mario Party 8 once at a friend's house and it was great as well.

As I got older and began to take my love for Mario to the internet, I learned that MP9 was actually quite hated and I didn't understand why. Sure it had its flaws but I never really disliked the car mechanic which people seemed to despise.

Well anyway I would like to try the rest of the series to see if MP9 really is that bad in comparison, but because there are so many I don't know where to start. Could I have some recommendations please?

For reference, I have a Gamecube, a Wii, a Wii U, a 3DS and a DS Lite, the last of which is only just playable because the D-pad is so worn out. Thankfully I don't miss any MP games for that since MPA is on the Wii U VC. But I don't have access to MP1, MP3, or SMP. And no, I'm not counting Mario Party-e.

(Edit: Please note I'm not hugely into the multiplayer mode since I don't have many friends or family who would be interested in playing these games with me.)

Please vote in the poll above for me!

Thanks a bunch,
MiracleDinner

Last edited:
4, 5, 6, Island Tour, and 10 are probably my top picks.

If Mario Party 3 were a choice, that would be my pick, but I presume you got that one since you excluded it from your options.

Mario Party 6 is the best of the Gamecube Parties for having a balance of items that felt just right, since it's got consumable items or traps placed on the board. This along with the Day/Night changing makes the boards a lot more varied in its happening. Overall great minigames are also a plus. Mario Party 7 is pretty similar to 6, with the added 8 player mode.

Mario Party 10 is only recommended because it's similar to Mario Party 9, which is something you said you like.

Mario Party DS is a very nice Mario Party for translating the classic Mario Party gameplay to the handheld and utilising the touch screen in nice ways. Note that it's pretty much single player unless you have other people to play with. At least it's a single-cart game, which is a standard for Mario Party games for DS and 3DS.

Thank you for reading.

If Mario Party 3 were a choice, that would be my pick, but I presume you got that one since you excluded it from your options.

Mario Party 6 is the best of the Gamecube Parties for having a balance of items that felt just right, since it's got consumable items or traps placed on the board. This along with the Day/Night changing makes the boards a lot more varied in its happening. Overall great minigames are also a plus. Mario Party 7 is pretty similar to 6, with the added 8 player mode.

Mario Party 10 is only recommended because it's similar to Mario Party 9, which is something you said you like.

Mario Party DS is a very nice Mario Party for translating the classic Mario Party gameplay to the handheld and utilising the touch screen in nice ways. Note that it's pretty much single player unless you have other people to play with. At least it's a single-cart game, which is a standard for Mario Party games for DS and 3DS.

Thank you for reading.

As stated in the OP, I didn't include Mario Party 1 or 3 or Super Mario Party as I don't own the hardware to play them. Mario Party 9 is the only one I have right now.

MP9 isn't bad. People don't like change.
Fully agreed. I personally feel that 9's style is inferior, but it is by no means bad and it's still miles better than the handheld trio of Advance, Star Rush, and Top 100.

Say what you will about "change for the sake of change", but 9 came at a time when Mario Party was literally just a yearly rehash. A change was 100% necessary.

I don't like change when I find that said change to be a severely botched execution of a new idea.

I think that Mario Party Top 100 is NOT recommended solely because it's basically older content without much new in the way. They recycled 100 minigames from 10 Mario Parties, which is a good thing, but that's basically the draw of that game. The minigame quest is good but it seems to be over quickly, and after that, there aren't much. The board lacks variety and the simultaneous movement meant that it's a little too complex. Perhaps if the game has returning boards then it would be better, but alas, it doesn't.

Thank you for reading.

MP 2, 5-7

MP9 isn't bad. People don't like change.
Thanks but I don't think you voted as all the votes are the same as they were when I checked last night. Please could you vote in the poll as well as comments if you wish.

BTW do I need the microphone to play MP6 or just the GC controller?

Please could you give me an example of a part of the game which would be "a lot more fun and easier with it"?
And above all is it worth £10-20 on it? I don't think I would use it outside of MP6&7.

Weird pattern of 3, 6, and 9 being the best ones imo.

I absolutely love the Duel Mode in 3, and the way items work in 6 made board games actually fun. and 9 might have my favorite mini games, especially in regards the boss fights. And all three have good minigames overall.

Yeah it's a shame that MP1 & 3 never got ported to the Wii U VC but at least I have MP2 which is frequently regarded as the best of the N64 trilogy.

In a weird sort of way super mario party is a sort of remake of the first game, even starts with a similar type of cutscene and 2 of the boards share a similar gimmick with whomps blocking paths.

In a weird sort of way super mario party is a sort of remake of the first game, even starts with a similar type of cutscene and 2 of the boards share a similar gimmick with whomps blocking paths.
Ok but I don't have the hardware to play either of them so that's not really relevant to this thread.

In was in response to how they haven't ported MP1.

Which they never will because rotating control sticks.

Well Nintendo have left the Wii U in the past now anyway and I don't have a switch.
Umm... the Nintendo 64 has one control stick and the Nintendo Switch has two. I don't see how this would be an issue. Not that I think MP1 on Switch is likely anyway.

No I mean the infamous mini games that required people to rotate the control stick in a circle. People would use their palms to do it as it was faster but they would result in large blisters and then parents complained resulting in Nintendo shipping for free to anyone who complained generic leather gloves.

In was in response to how they haven't ported MP1.

This hasn't stopped them from porting some of those minigames to Mario Party The Top 100. 😒

Please could you give me an example of a part of the game which would be "a lot more fun and easier with it"?
And above all is it worth £10-20 on it? I don't think I would use it outside of MP6&7.

Well, the mic minigames themselves, for starters. It's more fun and less tedious to call out commands rather than press the R Button->highlight command->select. There's also a quiz show side game that can be fun to mess with.

As for if it's worth it, up to you. The mic does have a bit of a clarity issue, "Wario" could often become "Mario" if you aren't really really clearly speaking. Our is actually broken, need to look into finding a new one :P

I'll say that I'll get one if I can nab one for under £10 👍

Does anyone know if they are region locked? I had to deal with that when finding a Wii U Gamepad online but I thankfully found the right one.

Back