Issue 150 - Challenger Approaching! Chosen by YOU!

Choose who I write about for CA! 150

• Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hornet (Daytona USA)/any other video game car that is simply a car

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Reimu (Touhou)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Tails (Sonic)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Shadow (Sonic)

• Knuckles (Sonic)

• X (Mega Man X)

• (Bandana) Waddle Dee (Kirby)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • LABO (would likely be either LABO Man or Robot Kit)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

• Monita (Nintendo Land)

• Paper Mario

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Lana (Hyrule Warriors)

• Roserade (Pokemon)

• Waluigi (Mario)

• Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer)

• Shovel Knight

• Rayman

• Squid Sisters (Splatoon)

• Eggman (Sonic)

• Crash Bandicoot

• Toad/Toadette (Mario)

• Gooey (Kirby)

• Ephraim (Fire Emblem)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Porygon-Z (Pokemon)

• Coffee (MarioWiki)

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Edelgard (Fire Emblem)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roserade

The Fool
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
They
MarioWiki
Roserade
Not to one-up LudwigVon's 'Shroom section thread but...

Hey there! You might remember me as the guy that wrote Challenger Approaching! a couple of times. It was a short-lived section, but I had a ton of fun with it, and have had ambitions to bring it back in some capacity or another. In any case you don't know, Challenger Approaching! is a section in which I wrote to characters as if they were a new character in Smash Bros. You can find an example of the section here. I figured that 150 is the perfect chance to make this happen, so let's get to it!

I have been bouncing ideas in my head of what character(s) I wanted to cover this time around, and had too many ideas to count. So, I've decided that, rather than making this tricky decision myself, I should leave it up to the twisted hands of fate, aka you all! For the next week (until August 25th), I will be accepting character suggestions on who I should cover for this next edition of Challenger Approaching! Then, there will be a week long voting period where you all will decide which characters I'll use! My goal is to be able to create a lengthy section detailing three characters, but time constraints are entirely up in the air, given a) other 'Shroom responsibilities and b) starting school again. Therefore, vote as if I'm writing for your top pick, but know that I may do first place or the top three voted characters.

Guidelines for character suggestions are... None! Suggest any character you please. However, I would strongly prefer we remain in the realm of video game characters for suggestions, and know that there are some characters I will not be able to adequately write to. For your convenience, I've included a list of the franchises currently represented in Smash, and how well I know them:

Supreme Overlord of Knowledge
Kirby

Very Knowledgeable About
Mario
Donkey Kong
Legend of Zelda
Pokemon
Sonic the Hedgehog

Knowledgeable About
Yoshi
Kid Icarus
Animal Crossing
Mega Man
Punch-Out
Pac-Man
Street Fighter
Final Fantasy (mostly earlier games, like SNES)
Splatoon

Little Knowledge About
Metroid
Star Fox
Mother
F-Zero (besides what Mach Speed Mayhem has taught me!)
Fire Emblem, discounting Awakening
Wario
Metal Gear
Pikmin
Xenoblade
Bayonetta
Castlevania
Persona
Dragon Quest

These tier lists aren't to say that I couldn't write to any characters from the lower levels, just that I might not be able to immediately go "I know that character!" As well, I am absolutely taking characters from outside of these franchises as suggestions.

With all of that out of the way, go ahead and get to suggesting!

Last edited:
I will nominate Shadow (From Sonic), Knuckles, Mega Man X (try to make him different from regular Mega Man), Bandana Waddle Dee, Nintendo Labo (in general), and Dixie Kong. For a more unique choice, how about Monita from Nintendo Land.

Crash Bandicoot

Toadette or Toad, please!

Since you are very knowledgeable about Kirby (as am I, see my new section) then I would like to propose the idea of my main man Gooey from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

What? You thought I was going to do Bandana Waddle Dee? Don't make me laugh. I need my Gooey.

Even if the series he comes from is low-tier on the knowledge list, I would love to see my dude Ephraim from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

If you want, I can offer help as well, if it becomes too hard to find moves for him.

Three days left for any other characters recommendations!

Today's the last day for any suggestions! I'll be creating the poll in a couple of hours, so make sure to get any more in

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Back