Nintendo Switch Lite

Moldomré

Moldomré. Emphasis on the "ome" despite the "é".
MarioWiki
Moldomre
D_He4J5WsAEBfR2

A new handheld only version of the Switch that released on September 20 for $199.99.
Here's some photos (spoilered):
All three colors, grey, yellow, and turquoise:
vkex0draeztsfxvg1l6l.jpg

Dimensions compared to the Switch:
qaneqnjx6dqe2nztz06h.png

It can only play games that support handheld play, due to having no detachable Joy-Con. And there's a D-pad now.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good. It's a great cheaper option for people who can't really afford the big screen variation and those who play only in handheld mode anyway. I already own a Switch so this doesn't mean much to me but people who want to own one has this to consider. The color palette is also pretty appealing, I wish the Switch itself has more color options than boring dark gray.

Since the Switch Lite is handheld only, it means that quite a few games that require tabletop/docked mode cannot be played, although they are a sheer minority. In terms of Mario games, Super Mario Party is the only one affected by this. Personally though, despite the fact that Splatoon 2 can be played on the handheld, I can't see myself playing that game in handheld mode since that game is best played with motion controls, and sure the Lite has motion controls, but I will be moving the console too much if I do that.

If the D-pad is solid, this would be a great machine since quite a number of indie games and a few games (like Tetris 99) works best with a properly functional D-pad, but we shall see if that is the case.

Thank you for reading.

Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.

Kazooie said:
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.
From my understanding, you can still use Joy-Con wirelessly, although they do not come with the system. So those moves in Super Mario Odyssey would still be usable. However, as the system doesn't come with a kickstand, you'd have to lean it on a wall or something if you wanted to use tabletop mode.

The problem is it can't be docked to a TV and there's already a great handheld console and that switch!.
I dunno how they're gonna beat the sales record by REMOVING a feature.
It's a cheaper alternative for those that don't have/don't use a TV for gaming. Kinda like the 2DS before it.

It may not appeal to you but there is a market for it.

I don't have either yet but I'm likely to go for the first version. You get detachable Joy-Con that you can use as an HD rumbling wiimote that doesn't even need a sensor bar!

I have the original Nintendo Switch. I wonder what console they will release next year, if they ever do... I am sad that the lite removed most features... if you're just gonna remove important features, then do not even think about releasing it to the public and consumers!

I am sad that the lite removed most features... if you're just gonna remove important features, then do not even think about releasing it to the public and consumers!

It's a cheaper variant for someone who wants to be economical and doesn't care to play on a television. The Switch's asking price, $300 , is not cheap in the slightest, and the Lite is a version of the Switch that's 30% off. It's a good deal for people who don't have the money to invest in for an entertainment product.

Back