Nintendo Switch Lite

A sad ghost | Moldomré

Pay ya for what, standing there?

A new handheld only version of the Switch was announced for release on September 20 for $199.99.
Here's some photos (spoilered):
All three colors, grey, yellow, and turquoise:

Dimensions compared to the Switch:

It can only play games that support handheld play, due to having no detachable Joy-Con. And there's a D-pad now.

Professor E. Gadd

Shine Sprite
Poll Committee
Looks nice. Guess we now have a dedicated handheld that plays the same games as the console. Perhaps later on I could get one of these as my own personal Switch (because siblings).

Baby Luigi Rescuing Mario

*insert Shakira music here*
I think it looks pretty good. It's a great cheaper option for people who can't really afford the big screen variation and those who play only in handheld mode anyway. I already own a Switch so this doesn't mean much to me but people who want to own one has this to consider. The color palette is also pretty appealing, I wish the Switch itself has more color options than boring dark gray.

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Since the Switch Lite is handheld only, it means that quite a few games that require tabletop/docked mode cannot be played, although they are a sheer minority. In terms of Mario games, Super Mario Party is the only one affected by this. Personally though, despite the fact that Splatoon 2 can be played on the handheld, I can't see myself playing that game in handheld mode since that game is best played with motion controls, and sure the Lite has motion controls, but I will be moving the console too much if I do that.

If the D-pad is solid, this would be a great machine since quite a number of indie games and a few games (like Tetris 99) works best with a properly functional D-pad, but we shall see if that is the case.

Thank you for reading.

Kazooie

Red-crested Breegull
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.

Professor E. Gadd

Shine Sprite
Poll Committee
Kazooie said:
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.
From my understanding, you can still use Joy-Con wirelessly, although they do not come with the system. So those moves in Super Mario Odyssey would still be usable. However, as the system doesn't come with a kickstand, you'd have to lean it on a wall or something if you wanted to use tabletop mode.