Nintendo Switch Lite

Merry Moldo

King Bowser

A new handheld only version of the Switch that released on September 20 for $199.99.
Here's some photos (spoilered):
All three colors, grey, yellow, and turquoise:

Dimensions compared to the Switch:

It can only play games that support handheld play, due to having no detachable Joy-Con. And there's a D-pad now.

Last edited:

Santa Claws

Rebel with a Cause
Poll Committee
Looks nice. Guess we now have a dedicated handheld that plays the same games as the console. Perhaps later on I could get one of these as my own personal Switch (because siblings).

I think it looks pretty good. It's a great cheaper option for people who can't really afford the big screen variation and those who play only in handheld mode anyway. I already own a Switch so this doesn't mean much to me but people who want to own one has this to consider. The color palette is also pretty appealing, I wish the Switch itself has more color options than boring dark gray.

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Since the Switch Lite is handheld only, it means that quite a few games that require tabletop/docked mode cannot be played, although they are a sheer minority. In terms of Mario games, Super Mario Party is the only one affected by this. Personally though, despite the fact that Splatoon 2 can be played on the handheld, I can't see myself playing that game in handheld mode since that game is best played with motion controls, and sure the Lite has motion controls, but I will be moving the console too much if I do that.

If the D-pad is solid, this would be a great machine since quite a number of indie games and a few games (like Tetris 99) works best with a properly functional D-pad, but we shall see if that is the case.

Thank you for reading.

White Diamond

Flawless Entity of Pure Christmas
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.

Santa Claws

Rebel with a Cause
Poll Committee
Kazooie said:
Non-detachable joycons actually does affect Super Mario Odyssey, which has some actions mapped to motion controls. A few of them have alternative mappings to a button, but to my knowledge not all of them do. Overall I'd say that's a loss of functionality.

Maybe you can still shake the entire console to access these actions, but that's going to be super unwieldy.
From my understanding, you can still use Joy-Con wirelessly, although they do not come with the system. So those moves in Super Mario Odyssey would still be usable. However, as the system doesn't come with a kickstand, you'd have to lean it on a wall or something if you wanted to use tabletop mode.

Santa Claws

Rebel with a Cause
Poll Committee
The problem is it can't be docked to a TV and there's already a great handheld console and that switch!.
I dunno how they're gonna beat the sales record by REMOVING a feature.
It's a cheaper alternative for those that don't have/don't use a TV for gaming. Kinda like the 2DS before it.

It may not appeal to you but there is a market for it.

ChristmasDinner

The Red-Nosed Dayzee
I don't have either yet but I'm likely to go for the first version. You get detachable Joy-Con that you can use as an HD rumbling wiimote that doesn't even need a sensor bar!

SWPlaysMC

Goomba
I have the original Nintendo Switch. I wonder what console they will release next year, if they ever do... I am sad that the lite removed most features... if you're just gonna remove important features, then do not even think about releasing it to the public and consumers!

I am sad that the lite removed most features... if you're just gonna remove important features, then do not even think about releasing it to the public and consumers!
It's a cheaper variant for someone who wants to be economical and doesn't care to play on a television. The Switch's asking price, $300 , is not cheap in the slightest, and the Lite is a version of the Switch that's 30% off. It's a good deal for people who don't have the money to invest in for an entertainment product.