Things that people love to hate

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
This thread is about things that people love to hate.
#1 on my list is Windows Vista

windows-vista-logo.jpg

People love to think that it means disaster after all the problems it caused for their computers. I think the OS is very usable even today. It's not that disastrous when compared to Windows ME, that was a pure disaster of an OS because it was rushed soulless cashgrab of an operating system that offered nilch over Windows 98SE.

#2: is Windows 10
476px-Windows_10_Logo.svg.png

People love to hate this OS even though its better than Windows 8/8.1 and it is as good as Windows 7.

#3: DLCs and expansions
DLCs and expansions are things that people love to hate because it is just micro transactions for a game you bought.

marioboards

i ran vista with no major issues for like 6 years, finally updated to win 10 and bsods and randomly losing configurations for applications have been regular~semi regular occurrences ever since, not to mention every couple months someone says "make sure you don't let windows 10 install the latest update, it'll delete your files"

Nah, I think people overcredit Mario RPGs actually.

Literally no one on the internet hates them.

(Which is why Color Splash hate exists in such masses)

But it's fact that people love to hate him.

InClUdInG mE

As much as it hurts me to say it: Garfield.

The reason being that I don't really hate or at the very least ironically like, but I felt that it needs mentioning.

Garfield started from a comic strip, which is going on for at least 40 years since 1978, and has no signs of stopping. It's no secret that Garfield is heavily merchandised, as you have products bearing his (or his friends') face on many types of products: plushes, trinkets with just his likeness being plastered on, and even other type of media like video games and joke books. Because Garfield was created with merchandising in mind, it has already been established that the comic will lack any political or social commentary that other comic strips are inclined to do, mainly so that the comic can be more reliably carried over internationally.

On the other hand, its quality is something of a sore spot because it rarely goes beyond the comfort zone as to have that sort of personality that other comics with an edge tend to have. It also plays every character's trait repeatedly so it seemed as though the jokes repeat itself. So you basically have a comic that is simply easy to criticise, and as a result, it is far easier to find anti-fan works compared to genuine fan works if not published by the company that made the comics, and as a result, the terrible and cynical ones are more readily celebrated. As an example, Garfield Minus Garfield is about removing Garfield (though from what I observed it also removes any other character that is not Jon). And then there's Lasagna Cat which looked like a homage to the source material but reading between the lines revealed that it is more of a mockery of the source material, such as the sloppily designed costumes (this is made by a professional company, I must add) and the derision of Jim Davis. The second batch of videos, from what I heard, upped the cynicism that I felt their intentions are clearer. Note that I refused to watch the second batch of Lasagna Cat videos on account of feeling that it crossed the line, so feel free to prove me wrong if it indeed sincere all along.

I do felt that the live-action movie is the catalyst in causing Garfield to have a reputation of being "cool to hate", since it does have a dubious quality and its cartoonish setting was poorly implemented as a live action film.

I have also seen some words where it felt like liking Garfield is a taboo and those who do like is seen as an outcast, which makes any sincere Garfield fan art a breath of fresh air in my book. Perhaps one man's trash is another man's treasure, and in this case I felt like I am alone in considering it treasure.

Thank you for reading.

I religiously read Garfield every day. I especially love the spider ones.
Enjoy the fresh air!

Scorbunny said:
The Wii U is definitely something most people were hating back in its day.

Although many of us loved the Wii U, there were some really critical players, including hardcore gamers, that really despises the Wii U. And that's sad.
It's also the same thing with the GameCube. People gave it crap back in the day but now realize it is a good system.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Scorbunny said:

Although many of us loved the Wii U, there were some really critical players, including hardcore gamers, that really despises the Wii U. And that's sad.
It's also the same thing with the GameCube. People gave it crap back in the day but now realize it is a good system.
I don't think people hated on the GameCube much as what happened with the Wii U.

The PlayStation 2's growing fanbase, thanks to the implementation of a DVD drive, is what killed off the competitors and is the reason why the GameCube was so underrated for many years.

The Pokemon anime and Ash Ketchum as a protagonist often seem to be the butt of many jokes nowadays, with people constantly complaining that Ash hasn't aged within the show in the span of the twenty plus years it has been going on despite the fact that none of the reoccurring characters have aged either and the show doesn't run in real time.

Another area of complaint is how the show deviates from the mainline games and takes it's own liberties but personally this is actually one of my favorite aspects of it, it's actually gutsy enough to try to be it's own unique thing instead being of weighed down by the strict and rigid rules of it's source material and it has given us some pretty interesting battles for it. Like take the battle between Ash's Charizard vs. Gary's Blastoise back in Johto for example, Ash had his Charizard use Flamethrower on the battlefield around them goating Gary into having Blastoise to cool it down inadvertently creating a thick mist that gives Charizard a opportunity to get around Blastoise's attacks and get the drop on it so it can finishing it off with it's signature Seismic Toss.

Scorbunny said:
Roll and Maria Renard said:
Scorbunny said:

I don't think people hated on the GameCube much as what happened with the Wii U.

The PlayStation 2's growing fanbase, thanks to the implementation of a DVD drive, is what killed off the competitors and is the reason why the GameCube was so underrated for many years.
The OG Xbox had a DVD drive too but you had to purchase an accessory just to watch DVDs. The PS2 was the cheapest DVD player on the market by the time the GameCube and OG Xbox came out and the PS2 was all the rage back then. Still the GameCube deserved love for its games. People gave the system love after the Wii was released. I mean people mocked the system for being kiddie when it wasn't all that kiddie.

The PPG reboot(2016)

I don’t mind it, but I still think it’s 99% unfaithful to the original, and while it has improved, I don’t think it will last as long as the original did.

All My Little Pony generations prior to G4, sorry guys, but I love every generation! Even if G4 has the most successful cartoon of them all, I have the toys from all four generations(not all toys though, just enough to make me happy), and I can’t help but love all generations equally!

Back