Dr. Mario World

We need Dr. Pokey

I find it really frustrating how much Nintendo continually squanders the character potential of the Mario franchise so I think I'm gonna avoid dressing this opinion up in a joke. If these weird, half "lazy" half out-of-left-field character choices are supposed to be some sort of running gag as people make it out to be, then I think it's a really low-effort and self-unaware one and we shouldn't be celebrating this mediocrity. This might be a cold take, but I don't know how seriously people take it these days. There are those who fashion a superiority complex over being okay with disappointing characters and this attitude seems to control a lot of fan discourse.

I unironically love these additions.

I really love Dr. Dolphin though. It's a character I would love seeing playable in more games. And honestly, Goombas need to be playable in more games period; they're super iconic enemies yet they get shafted a lot.

What's weird is that Birdo still isn't playable for some reason. And King Boo is stuck as an assistant rather than a doctor.

big agree @ goombas needing to be playable in more games.. lacking arms hasnt stopped them before
Card_SubCharacter_Goomba.png

and actually its kinda fun to see what they can come up with in terms of animations when tey dont Have to have the goombas just float the objects. super mario party is an example
also yea the fire variants are stupid why are there four of them

also yea the fire variants are stupid why are there four of them

it's simple: they're extremely easy to make. Fire Mario, Fire Luigi, and Fire Rosalina literally reused animations from Mario, Luigi and Rosalina. Fire Peach does too to an extent, but she has some different animations due to her being in a dress.

So from the basics in the video, Dr. Goomba Tower and Dr. Lakitu have the same abilities as Dr. Toad and Dr. Toadette, except with half the clearance: basically Dr. Goomba Tower can only clear 10 random spots as opposed to Dr. Toad, while Dr. Lakitu change one item into a box as opposed to Dr. Toadette's two. To compensate, they charge up their abilities faster than their counterparts.

A new assistant, Para-bomb, basically have the same ability as a previous assistant, which is Amp. Except Para-bomb changes 2 items into exploder while Amp changes 1, although the latter has a higher chance of getting it to happen.

If the datamine shows that the new doctors have similar abilities as existing doctors (Bowser Jr. and Wendy), then they should have a faster charge rate at less efficient clearance. If that's the case, then I can see Koopa Troopa being pretty good to have since Wendy's brick-breaking ability is quite good.

Thank you for reading.

My current progress (highlights are new or levelled up since the previous post):

Worlds:
- Beaten 100% World 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8)
- World 4: only Challenge 4C got 2 stars, so I can't activate the challenge to obtain Dr. Luigi
- World 7: only Challenge 7B got 2 stars, so I can't activate the challenge to obtain Dr. Baby Luigi
- World 9: Haven't beaten Challenge 9C and subsequently the Dr. Diddy Kong challenge
- World 10: Reached level 378

Doctors:
- Dr. Mario (2:1)
- Dr. Yoshi (2:1)
- Dr. Bowser Jr. (2:2)
- Dr. Baby Peach (2:1)
- Dr. Luma (2)
- Dr. Peach
- Dr. Luigi
- Dr. Toad
- Dr. Toadette
- Dr. Waluigi
- Dr. Daisy
- Dr. Kamek
- Dr. Lakitu

Assistants:
- Goomba (2:2)
- Boo (2:1)
- Lakitu (2)
- Piranha Plant (2)
- Pokey (2:2)
- Paragoomba (2)
- Peepa (2)
- Sumo Bro (2)
- Porcupuffer (2:1)
- Hammer Bro (2)
- Clampy (2)
- Koopa Paratroopa (2)
- King Bob-omb (2)

- Dolphin (2)
- Thwomp (2)
- Fuzzy (2)
- Banzai Bill (2)
- Fly Guy (2:1)
- Star Bunny (2:1)
- Bomb Boo (2:1)
- Goombrat (2)
- Dry Bones (2)

- Ant Trooper (2)
- Bony Beetle (2)
- Parabomb (2)

- Shy Guy
- Bob-omb
- Blooper
- Cheep Cheep
- Spike
- Spiny Cheep Cheep

- Amp
- Pom Pom
- Mechakoopa
- Monty Mole
- Boomerang Bro
- Scuttlebug

I decided to occasionally use Dr. Yoshi since he can clear objects, which is especially useful if 5 or less of them are on the field, and it also charges up relatively fast. Even then, I still use Dr. Kamek occasionally if the level is virus-based since his ability to completely eliminate them is super-useful. Dr. Toad is amusing but his super randomness is rather unreliable, as with Dr. Luigi since you can't choose where you clear. I have decided that Dr. Baby Peach is not too worth it, mainly due to her longer charge time.

In versus, I have used back Dr. Mario because his ability to clear 2 rows is versatile: one can use it to save yourself from losing, or clear unpleasant virus formations, or even clear the board if there are 2 rows left to immediately attack. Another doctor that is quite good is Dr. Luma, whose skill impressed me, plus it has an incredibly high defence against 2-row attackers like Dr. Fire Mario and Dr. Ludwig, at 80% chance of avoiding attacks.

Right now I have saved up enough for a Doctor Staffing, but I didn't want either Dr. Goomba Tower or Dr. Lakitu (both have a higher chance of being drawn due to their newness), so I am waiting until the rates are levelled since one of the current doctors in the pool is Dr. Wendy, who would be an asset on brick-breaking levels that hide coins. Another doctor that I am hoping to get is one of the future ones (Koopa Troopa). Of the doctors I haven't got, I am hoping that I get Dr. Fire Mario, Dr. Fire Luigi, Dr. Fire Peach, Dr. Wario, Dr. Wendy or Dr. Nabbit as soon as possible, especially Dr. Wendy or Dr. Wario.

Thank you for reading.

My current progress (bold are new or levelled up since the previous post, and italics are in progress of levelling up):

Worlds:
- Reached level 409 (World 11)
- Beaten 100% World 1-3, 5, 6, 8-10)
- World 4: only Challenge 4C got 2 stars, so I can't activate the challenge to obtain Dr. Luigi
- World 7: only Challenge 7B got 2 stars, so I can't activate the challenge to obtain Dr. Baby Luigi

Doctors:
- Dr. Luma (2)
- Dr. Lakitu (2)
- Dr. Peach
- Dr. Luigi
- Dr. Toad
- Dr. Toadette
- Dr. Waluigi
- Dr. Daisy
- Dr. Baby Daisy
- Dr. Diddy Kong

- Dr. Kamek
- Dr. Dry Bowser

Assistants:
- Boo (2:2)
- Lakitu (2)
- Piranha Plant (2)
- Paragoomba (2)
- Peepa (2)
- Sumo Bro (2)
- Hammer Bro (2)
- Clampy (2)
- Koopa Paratroopa (2)
- Amp (2)
- King Bob-omb (2)
- Dolphin (2)
- Thwomp (2)
- Fuzzy (2)
- Banzai Bill (2)
- Bomb Boo (2:2)
- Goombrat (2)
- Penguin (2)
- Dry Bones (2)
- Ant Trooper (2)
- Bony Beetle (2)
- Parabomb (2:1)
- Shy Guy
- Bob-omb
- Blooper
- Cheep Cheep
- Spike
- Spiny Cheep Cheep
- Para-Beetle
- Buzzy Beetle

- Pom Pom
- Sledge Bro
- Mechakoopa
- Monty Mole
- Boomerang Bro
- King Boo
- Scuttlebug

Unowned Assistants:
- Koopa Troopa
- Huckit Crab
- Spiny
- Swoop
- Bullet Bill
- Scaredy Rat
- Crowber
- Boom Boom
- Chain Chomp
- Honey Queen
- Octoomba
- Wiggler
- Stingby

The previous update must have taken into account the difficulty in which the rank is held, because before that players earn the same amount of points as the players who lost them in Tier 5. Now there will be a net gain, and Tier 6 similar has a net gain (albeit smaller). Tier 7 is now the rank with no net gain/loss in points (so I gain the same amount of points as the player who lost it if I win, and vice-versa). In terms of rewards, I was unlucky twice because I picked 3 minimal rewards (50 coins/100 coins) compared to the more lucrative ones like new Assistant, Staff Ticket, Diamonds or Doctor Tokens. Even then, I did luck out sometimes, as I did get Diamonds rarely and a Staff Ticket once. I am hoping for Assistant picks because Banzai Bill and King Boo have pretty good effects, despite their effects being %-based.

Anyway, I was incredibly relieved that I managed to beat World 9 and 10 and subsequently unlock Diddy Kong and Dry Bowser. Diddy Kong didn't seem useful but Dry Bowser is the real deal: immediate clearance is a godsend even though it's still a bit random and how Dry Bowser takes a while to charge.

The next challenge will be to unlock Dr. Fire Peach, which won't happen in a while. Meanwhile, it's still not time to use my Doc Tokens (I currently have between 100 and 200 of them) as Lakitu/Goomba Tower are still common picks.

Thank you for reading.

My current progress (bold are new or levelled up since the previous post, and italics are in progress of levelling up):

Worlds:
- Reached level 433 (World 11, all Challenges 3-starred)
- Beaten 100% Worlds 1-6, 8-10

Doctors:
- Dr. Luigi (2)
- Dr. Luma (2)
- Dr. Lakitu (2)
- Dr. Peach
- Dr. Toad
- Dr. Toadette
- Dr. Ludwig
- Dr. Wendy

- Dr. Waluigi
- Dr. Daisy
- Dr. Baby Daisy
- Dr. Diddy Kong
- Dr. Kamek
- Dr. Dry Bowser
- Dr. Fire Rosalina

Assistants:
- Bomb Boo (3)
- Lakitu (2)
- Piranha Plant (2)
- Paragoomba (2)
- Peepa (2:1)
- Sumo Bro (2)
- Hammer Bro (2)
- Clampy (2:1)
- Koopa Paratroopa (2)
- Amp (2:1)
- King Bob-omb (2)
- Dolphin (2)
- Sledge Bro (2)
- Thwomp (2)
- Fuzzy (2)
- Banzai Bill (2)
- Goombrat (2)
- Penguin (2)
- Dry Bones (2:1)
- Ant Trooper (2)
- Bony Beetle (2:1)
- Shy Guy
- Bob-omb
- Blooper
- Cheep Cheep
- Spike
- Bullet Bill
- Spiny Cheep Cheep
- Para-Beetle
- Buzzy Beetle
- Pom Pom
- Mechakoopa
- Monty Mole
- Boomerang Bro
- Chain Chomp
- King Boo
- Scuttlebug

Unowned Assistants:
- Koopa Troopa
- Huckit Crab
- Spiny
- Swoop
- Scaredy Rat
- Crowber
- Boom Boom
- Honey Queen
- Octoomba
- Wiggler
- Stingby

With Dry Bowser, I have finally overcome the challenge and unlocked Dr. Luigi, thereby finally finishing World 4 for good! That leaves me with World 7, which is still a mystery on how to beat, so Dr. Baby Luigi is still outside my grasp. On the bright side, I have finished the World 11 Challenges with 3 stars, so in my viewpoint, the Dr. Fire Peach challenge is a lot more realistic to reach.

In the few days, I managed to recruit a few nice doctors, which include the first batch of Koopalings (Ludwig and Wendy) and Fire Rosalina! Wendy in particular has proven her worth in a number of levels that I daresay she's indispensable in some cases, and the same can be said with Fire Rosalina. Wendy is in particular one of the doctors that I wanted and that was drawn in normal staffing, so it worked out well. Given that Fire Luigi and Fire Peach can be obtained in regular levels (Fire Peach is on the way), I would like to draw Fire Mario, Roy, Nabbit and Wario whenever I can, along with either if I can get them first.

Also, I obtained my first Level 3, which is an assistant, and that's none other than Bomb Boo. Its effect is not so bad, even if it has around 1/7 chance of activating. Still, of the assistants that I wanted, I am hoping for a Spiny, upgraded Spiny Cheep Cheep and a Stingby.

Thank you for reading.

Well, Dr. Fire Mario is pretty close to that.

You know what be funny? If one of the doctors is just Mario, with no changes to his usual design and isn't doctory at all, hey, Mario Tennis Aces did it
My sister and I just have a running joke that Mario isn't in Dr. Mario World even though Dr. Mario and Fire Dr. Mario and Baby Mario are there. I'd welcome such a glaring omission in this game but then gacha suckz.

My current progress (bold are new or levelled up since the previous post, and italics are in process of levelling up):

Worlds:
- Beaten Worlds 1 to 11 with 3 stars in all levels
- Reached level 461 (World 12)

Doctors:
  • Dr. Mario (2:1)
  • Dr. Luigi (2)
  • Dr. Yoshi (2:1)
  • Dr. Bowser Jr. (2:2)
  • Dr. Ludwig (2)
  • Dr. Baby Peach (2:1)
  • Dr. Luma (2)
  • Dr. Diddy Kong (2)
  • Dr. Lakitu (2:1)
  • Dr. Peach
  • Dr. Toad
  • Dr. Toadette
  • Dr. Wendy
  • Dr. Waluigi
  • Dr. Daisy
  • Dr. Baby Luigi
  • Dr. Baby Daisy
  • Dr. Kamek
  • Dr. Dry Bowser
  • Dr. Fire Peach
  • Dr. Fire Rosalina

Assistants:
- Pokey (3)
- Bomb Boo (3)
- Lakitu (2)
- Cheep Cheep (2)
- Piranha Plant (2)
- Paragoomba (2)
- Peepa (2:2)
- Sumo Bro (2)
- Hammer Bro (2:1)
- Clampy (2:1)
- Koopa Paratroopa (2)
- Amp (2:2)
- King Bob-omb (2:1)
- Dolphin (2:1)

- Sledge Bro (2)
- Mechakoopa (2)
- Thwomp (2:1)
- Fuzzy (2)
- Banzai Bill (2)
- Goombrat (2)
- Penguin (2)
- Dry Bones (2:1)
- Ant Trooper (2:1)
- Bony Beetle (2:1)
- Shy Guy
- Bob-omb
- Blooper
- Spike
- Bullet Bill
- Spiny Cheep Cheep
- Para-Beetle
- Buzzy Beetle
- Boom Boom
- Pom Pom
- Monty Mole
- Boomerang Bro
- Chain Chomp
- King Boo
- Octoomba
- Scuttlebug

Unowned Assistants:
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Huckit Crab
  • Spiny
  • Swoop
  • Scaredy Rat
  • Crowber
  • Honey Queen
  • Wiggler
  • Stingby

I have so far beaten the first half of Level 12, which I should finish if the Flying Question Boxes event reemerges. I am crossing my fingers that the challenges in this world will be manageable, since Dr. Larry's skill is decent.

To pass the time while I am not doing much Dr. Mario World stuff, I decided to contribute to the Wiki with Hearts that I am not going to use too often, and thus far I finished an article on World 8. World 9 and 12 are in the cards, since I have taken screenshots of both worlds, with 12 only reaching the levels I have done so far.

In Versus, I have already reached Tier 8, which is the highest tier! The rewards granted here are really good, except they still put x50 coins as one of the possible options, which are the least valuable ones after a hard day's work. My main combo is Dr. Mario with Dry Bones and Penguin. Basically Dr. Mario can clear 2 bottom rows which is a versatile ability, while Dry Bones grants occasional free Rainbow Capsules for easier clearance and Penguin has a chance to ignore opponent's defence, which is needed since Dr. Mario has a 2-line bomb, and there are quite a number of characters that has a high chance of blocking it (like Luma and Ludwig).

Even with 21 doctors and some lucky acquisitions (including Fire Rosalina, Wendy and Ludwig), I still have a number of doctors that I am hoping to get: Fire Mario, Roy, Nabbit and Wario. I can get Larry and Fire Luigi in regular levels so they aren't much of an issue, but it's been rough trying to get the desired doctors so far.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
My current progress (bold are new or levelled up since the previous post, and italics are in process of levelling up):

Worlds:
- Beaten Worlds 1 to 12 with 3 stars in all levels
- Reached level 494 (World 13)

Doctors:
  • Dr. Mario (2:1)
  • Dr. Luigi (2)
  • Dr. Yoshi (2:1)
  • Dr. Bowser Jr. (2:2)
  • Dr. Ludwig (2)
  • Dr. Wendy (2)
  • Dr. Baby Peach (2:1)
  • Dr. Luma (2)
  • Dr. Diddy Kong (2:2)
  • Dr. Lakitu (2:1)
  • Dr. Bowser
  • Dr. Peach
  • Dr. Toad
  • Dr. Toadette
  • Dr. Waluigi
  • Dr. Daisy
  • Dr. Baby Luigi
  • Dr. Baby Daisy
  • Dr. Kamek
  • Dr. Dry Bowser
  • Dr. Fire Peach
  • Dr. Larry
  • Dr. Fire Rosalina

Unowned Doctors:
  • Dr. Wario
  • Dr. Baby Mario
  • Dr. Rosalina
  • Dr. Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Baby Rosalina
  • Dr. Fire Mario
  • Dr. Roy
  • Dr. Fire Luigi
  • Dr. Nabbit
  • Dr. Goomba Tower

Assistants:
  • Pokey (3)
  • King Bob-omb (3)
  • Bomb Boo (3)
  • Goomba (2:2)
  • Boo (2:2)
  • Bob-omb (2)
  • Lakitu (2)
  • Cheep Cheep (2)
  • Piranha Plant (2)
  • Paragoomba (2)
  • Peepa (2:2)
  • Sumo Bro (2:1)
  • Porcupuffer (2:1)
  • Hammer Bro (2:2)
  • Clampy (2:2)
  • Koopa Paratroopa (2)
  • Amp (2:2)
  • Dolphin (2:1)
  • Sledge Bro (2)
  • Mechakoopa (2)
  • Thwomp (2:2)
  • Fuzzy (2)
  • Banzai Bill (2:1)
  • Boomerang Bro (2)
  • Fly Guy (2:1)
  • Star Bunny (2:1)
  • Goombrat (2)
  • Penguin (2)
  • Dry Bones (2:1)
  • Ant Trooper (2:1)
  • Bony Beetle (2:1)
  • Parabomb (2:1)
  • Shy Guy
  • Blooper
  • Huckit Crab
  • Spike
  • Bullet Bill
  • Spiny Cheep Cheep
  • Para-Beetle
  • Buzzy Beetle
  • Boom Boom
  • Pom Pom
  • Monty Mole
  • Chain Chomp
  • King Boo
  • Octoomba
  • Scuttlebug

Unowned Assistants:
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Spiny
  • Swoop
  • Scaredy Rat
  • Crowber
  • Honey Queen
  • Wiggler
  • Stingby

I am basically taking my time with the game now because I am currently taking some screenshots. I have already uploaded World 8 and 9's screenshots in the wiki, as well as World 7 based on a request of a friend which I think she will use. Meanwhile, I am hoping to finish taking World 10's screenshots before the inevitable update comes when a new World gets added, along with a couple of new Doctors.

In terms of staffing, I felt a bit bummed by getting doctors that is not in my wanted list, as I have gotten 3 copies of Diddy Kong even though I found his skill to be not as good as the others. On the other hand, a Dr. Wendy and Dr. Ludwig at a higher level is going to be quite useful, plus I have not got at least one assistant of every virus colour that boosts the score by 70, with Peepa (green) being close to Level 3. Bob-omb's also reached Level 2, which is good as his bonus score ability (800) is nice, along with how Thwomp is almost going to Level 3 (would have granted 1200 points). It would have been even better if Nabbit is on my list, though.

Thank you for reading.

I have already uploaded World 8 and 9's screenshots in the wiki, as well as World 7 based on a request of a friend which I think she will use.

*Takes a look at one of the uploaded images*

DrMarioWorld-Stage260.png

Gee, I wonder who that friend could possibly be?

1590555986800.jpeg

Back