Mario characters that you had good opinions of but they have gotten worse.

Snow J said:
King Dedede said:
The way Daisy treats Waluigi is just evil, and not the good kind.
Wait what? How does she treat him evilly?

Quotes from Daisy herself, taken directly from Fortune Street:

You'd do anything for me, wouldn't you, Waluigi? I bet you would! C'mon, let's trade shops!
What a disappointing little shop! But I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, it’s yours, Waluigi.
Why did I have to stop here? Not only is it overpriced, it’s run by Waluigi! Icky icky ew!

King Dedede said:
You'd do anything for me, wouldn't you, Waluigi? I bet you would! C'mon, let's trade shops!
What a disappointing little shop! But I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, it’s yours, Waluigi.
Why did I have to stop here? Not only is it overpriced, it’s run by Waluigi! Icky icky ew!

I agree Daisy. I certainly agree.

I mean, it's about as well as Waluigi treats anyone else.

Eh

I mean it's like Waluigi is that angel god forgot or something.

Dude's a cheater.

Waluigi is like that guy who tries to kick Luigi while Luigi is smelling roses, but Waluigi ends up kicking his own face

I used to not mind Toad.

Then I got fed up with his voice in Mario Kart whenever he'd shell me and cruise on by. It felt insulting to be taunted by that voice. But the most notable thing that killed Toad for me is Sticker Star, and the other Mario RPGs following it that featured the basic variety as every NPC ever. Playing Sticker Star while remembering all the colorful characters in the previous PM games, made me nauseatingly sick of basic Toad. Paper Jam didn't help matters either. Color Splash at least attempted to make them unique in a few rare instances, but still not nearly enough to douse the bitter aftertaste of SS and PJ.

I suppose Waluigi is my pick for this. I used to love playing as him when I was younger, but then my interest dropped hugely about 5-6 years ago. I did pick him up as a punching bag, as he has hilarious voice clips and animations

Minor example but I used to tolerate the elite trio.

Now I can't stand them.

It's the fact that they get no comeuppance for their treachery that really bugs me.

Bowser was way too lenient with them.

And then he makes them his personal guard. Like what? He's got way better minions than those 3.

Eh. Maybe he assumed they acted out of being brainwashed (Fawful did brainwash many of the other minions and it wouldn't have been fair for Bowser to punish them for things they did against their will)

It's pretty obvious that isn't the case.

Based on my limited information on them, can't really blame them for exploiting Bowser's stupidity, as much as they get a resounding meh from me. They'll be more punchable if Bowser actually saw through their actions but they still scam or lie or just try to sabotage even after Bowser noticed.

Wario. When I was a young teen, I loved him for being quirky, hilarious, badass and a twisted spin on Mario. Now I just find him to be a marginally appealing character for being a walking fart joke, and not a "cool" character otherwise.

Mario: I used to like playing as Mario in the Mario Party games when I was younger. I respected him since he is the main character and he's always saving the day, and so I occasionally played as him in the spinoff games to give him some respect. Nowadays, I think that Mario is one of the most boring characters to play as BECAUSE he is the main character. It's like, you're already forced to play as Mario in the main platformers and RPGs, why would I want to play as him in the spinoffs when there are so many other (better) choices?
Daisy: She used to be one of my favorite characters but you all know by now that I really dislike her. I explained to LGM why I now dislike Daisy in one of my profile posts, I don't really feel like typing all of that again.
Yoshi: He used to be my favorite character when I was younger. He was originally my dad's favorite character and I think that's why I started to like Yoshi as well. Nowadays, I don't really care about him anymore. I wouldn't say that I hate him, but I'm totally fine with letting him be on the opposing team in Mario Kart and I don't feel guilty seeing him getting blasted with bob-ombs, blue shells, or getting zapped by lightning.
Donkey Kong: He was one of my favorite characters in the first four Mario Party games, I played as him in the first three Smash games, and I also liked playing as him in Mario Kart DS. In every game after that, I just don't care about him anymore. Maybe it's because his current voice actor makes him sound really dumb and now I just think of him as another idiot who is fun to beat up.
Rosalina: I liked her better in her first few appearances when she was more mature as well as calm and reserved. I think that Mario Kart 7 is the last game where I really enjoyed playing as her. Now she's just another happy-go-lucky character and a Peach sound-alike thanks to her current voice actress. Also, she's one of the more popular characters, and I usually care less about the more popular characters.
Baby Daisy: She used to be one of my favorites in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Super Sluggers. However, I still liked her when I started to dislike Daisy because I felt bad about hating Baby Daisy since she is only a baby. It wasn't until about two years ago when my hate for Daisy increased to the point where I no longer like her baby version either.

Nowadays, I think that Mario is one of the most boring characters to play as BECAUSE he is the main character. It's like, you're already forced to play as Mario in the main platformers and RPGs, why would I want to play as him in the spinoffs when there are so many other (better) choices?

I hated the decision in Bowser's Fury that he's the sole playable character. I don't really care what kind of narrative justification they did for it, I want to be fucking Toad, not Mario.

I hated the decision in Bowser's Fury that he's the sole playable character. I don't really care what kind of narrative justification they did for it, I want to be fucking Toad, not Mario.
Why couldn't we pick Luigi, Peach, Toad or Rosalina to play as in Bowser's Fury? That always irks me.

They also pulled this shit off in the New Super Mario Bros. games too, like in Wii and U if I recalled correctly. OH and Mario Tennis Aces too. Just fuck that.

I love how my sister complains how Mario gets like, impaled in Smash Bros. trailers when that's the negative consequence of him being Nintendo's mascot: he gets a lot of positive attention, but he'll also receive negative attention as well.

People do dock on Mario for being stuck with him in a platformer and then wanting to use someone else in another game, but from my experience, being the main character is an experience that has you bond with them in a way that you'd find difficult to move away. I feel Mario being the first guy to choose is *why* I like him. I can also back up my experience with Mario with other series: Link is my favorite character in Legend of Zelda (though I like Epona a lot too), Rayman is my favorite character in Rayman, I like Sonic generally more than the other guys, Kirby I like the most out of the main cast, etc. I'm not sure how people can really play games as characters they're at best indifferent to. I did play Yoshi's Island DS but mostly for Baby Mario being there and I have little intention to play most of Yoshi, Wario, or DK's games because I can't stand playing as the main character and I'm also repelled by Crash due to the character design.

Kinda wonder about people who don't have Mario as a favorite character go. Do they go "LGM must really like the games more because she gets to use someone she really likes" idk it's just weird people use characters they don't care much for. But again, I did play Shadow of Colossus and found myself liking the horse the most, though you spend a lot of time with that horse.

I love how my sister complains how Mario gets like, impaled in Smash Bros. trailers when that's the negative consequence of him being Nintendo's mascot: he gets a lot of positive attention, but he'll also receive negative attention as well.
Smash Bros, I feel, picks on him in particular because he's not sickeningly cute like Pikachu and there's a BIG roster to choose from. Why not rotate it. I mean there's nothing stopping Nintendo from getting Link or Pikachu fried (which Link has been targeted before), even though they're also mascots that nearly rival Mario. I'd like to see a video where Pikachu becomes monster meat tbh let's see Smash Bros. go farther trying to shock their fans by hurting beloved characters. Or why not have Kirby be, as winstein calls it, the fall guy sometimes as he seems to be iconic enough.

Otherwise, I'm feeling a lot of needless antagonizing on my complaints here and I don't appreciate that either.

Why couldn't we pick Luigi, Peach, Toad or Rosalina to play as in Bowser's Fury? That always irks me.
I guess the rationale was that levels were designed around Mario's stats or something, but that's weak sauce imo. Why not have Toad be easy/hard mode (depending on how needed his speed is compared to his jumping). I'm a Mario fan, but I also think the character restriction to Mario in a game where you use other characters is baffling and has been baffling in Mario Tennis Aces. I still think the single player is handled better in Tennis Aces than Super Rush, even if neither do a great job. But it's the same problem. They advertise these other characters to use and then they bait and switch so you're stuck with Mario or a character that's not even in the Mario universe.

LGM must really like the games more because she gets to use someone she really likes

I did get confused at you not enjoying some Mario games because of this tho, like Super Mario Galaxy 2

Back