After Rosalina, are there any newer major Mario characters?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein

It's no secret that Mario has a huge assortment of Mario characters. This not only include any playable characters that the series introduced, but also the non-playable characters and enemies are also part of Mario's huge cast. However! If you have taken a glance at the Mario games, you might notice that there are characters introduced in the games that are practically one-off or rarely-recurring, where they appear in only one game and never again. As an example, in Mario Golf (N64), five human characters (Plum, Maple, Sonny, Charlie and Harry) were introduced but they never appeared again. Enemies are not immune to this, such as Hot Foot from Super Mario Bros. 3. Very few games have every character/enemy reappear in future games, with the first Super Mario Bros. being the most prominent example.

With that said, there are quite a number of Mario characters that are being used regularly since being introduced, some of them having a short break. Besides Mario himself, we have Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi and Bowser as the most famous examples, and on a smaller scale, we even have Birdo, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr. and Toadette. Some people may argue about the status of Daisy and Waluigi as major characters, but for the definition of this topic, they count because they made regular appearances even though it's outside the Super Mario series, which is something even characters introduced in a Super Mario game can't brag, like Il Piantissimo or even Lubba. Not to mention, Daisy and Waluigi have regular appearances in group shots. Enemies can even make prominent appearances too, for we have Koopa Troopa, Goomba and Boo as major recurring enemies.

So far, you might notice that I didn't mention Rosalina, and the reason is this: Rosalina is the last character in recent memory that has regular appearances, and thus counted as a major Mario character. Every other character I have mentioned were introduced before Rosalina, who herself first appeared in Super Mario Galaxy, a 2007 game. I feel that Rosalina wasn't really made out to be a major character early on, based on the fact that she has a backstory in the form of a storybook and had more than 2 names in different languages, which to me, indicates that they only planned for Rosalina to appear in this game until someone decided that Rosalina is worth being recurring. Earlier on, Rosalina wasn't quite prominent in her appearances, with the next big one being Mario Kart Wii, but starting in 2013, her status as a major Mario character is unquestioned, when there was quite a combo of Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, and even Mario Party 10 that put her in the spotlight. After Rosalina though, we might not even have a next major Mario character. Captain Toad was introduced in the same game as Rosalina, so he technically doesn't count.

On the realm of spin-offs, Mario Kart is the biggest contender in introducing major characters, since they did introduce Toadette, after all. The biggest recent memory is Pink Gold Peach, who was such a surprise hit but probably won't stick as a character, since she is after all, a derivative of an existing character. After that one, Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina are more or less low-priority recurring characters that will probably only be used in Kart games from this point. Outside Mario Kart, the only character that managed to slip into the ranks of the major recurring characters is of course Waluigi. Even though many people shunned him for gaining prominence outside the main or Kart games, I am fascinated by what many consider an "accident" since he is quite an enigmatic and fun character that other developers and Martinet can have fun with, and because he keeps appearing in different spin-off games (over the majority of those from Super Mario ones), I feel there is something the developers like about him too.

One issue I can see is, based on an offhand post I read regarding characters, Nintendo has a quality assurance team for characters, including positions for Character Supervisor (check Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Tennis Aces' credits), which is probably due to Nintendo regarding their characters and worlds as valuable that they stopped the developers from doing experimentations, likely during the DS/Wii era (It's probable that this form of management is the reason that Paper Mario didn't have a world of original characters, based on my understanding of this situation).

Even in the Super Mario games, there aren't too many new additions and some of them probably aren't staying around too much. Pom Pom made around a few appearances after 3D Land, Nabbit was introduced in New Super Mario Bros. U and was made playable in New Super Luigi U, but really only made like three appearances outside that game. Sprixie Princess is not that prominent as she only appears in one other game. Mary O. is probably just stuck in Super Mario Maker due to the different style of game. And then, the Broodals is probably never going to stick around after their only appearance in Super Mario Odyssey. It remains to be seen if Cappy will stick around, or if he gets to reach new places outside of the game he was introduced in.

So, are there any characters that could be considered major, after Rosalina?

Thank you for reading.

pauline has been existing since the very first game, but smo gave her some attention and i hope she sticks around and starts being playable in spinoffs. as well as cappy please

I guess... Nabbit?

He's been a bit absent recently, but he has appeared in spin-offs as a playable character, and he's a stage hazard in Smash now... so I guess you could say he's got some things going for him.

He's not that major of a character though, just throwing it out there.

In terms of them not being one and dones the only one that comes to mind is Nabbit.

But even that only goes so far.

I think Nabbit could be considered major. He's been playable in a few spin-offs, and he even appeared in Smash.

Cappy will likely become a "major character" due to the success of Odyssey. He'll basically be the next Rosalina: he was intended as a one-off, but he has such a big fanbase that they promote him to recurring status.

Sprixie Princess almost became a recurring character, but for some reason the only spin-off she appeared in was Ultra Smash.

I think Nabbit has already fizzled. For this to count, they have to essentially become spin-off mainstays. Nabbit appeared in a few but completely missed Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10 and 11*, Mario Tennis Aces, and possibly more that I didn't think of. Maybe NSMBUDX will help, but I doubt it.

I don't really expect Cappy to start appearing regularly. He feels too linked to his game's mechanic to be in other games much. I could be wrong, though. Maybe he'll show up in Mario Kart 9 (if that ever comes out on Switch).

*Sorry, but you can't make me stop calling it Mario Party 11.

I don't think Cappy's going to hang around, I think he'll probably just follow F.L.U.D.D. and Perry, only appear majorly in one game and get a few references later on. He seems about the same kind of thing.

I don't think there are any more characters that are quite as main as Rosalina that appeared after her, but talking about the sort of second tier of Mario main characters, Nabbit definitely seems to be there, and Pom Pom seems to be appearing more now that Boom Boom has come back a little more frequently.

Pom-Pom. 3D Land, World, and now a playable in Super Mario Party.

Boom-Boom has also come back to the spotlight, but he appeared originally before Rosalina.

there's none.

there's no other character that has been introduced and properly made mainstay as Rosalina is.

Nabbit flip flops and skips games, Rosalina doesn't she appeared to stay and continues to do so.

no, not yet anyway

Nabbit followed by Pom Pom seems to be the most common opinion, which sounds about right at this point of time. I think it's surprising that Nabbit rarely pop his rabbit ears in more games, since he was quite an impressive inclusion in Luigi U as a beginner character. Neither seems to be quite big though, which goes to show that while being introduced in the main games helps a lot, it is not an automatic guarantee as a star-making role.

YFJ said:
Sprixie Princess almost became a recurring character, but for some reason the only spin-off she appeared in was Ultra Smash.

I think that unless Sprixie Princess gets a nice big role later, they are not like to make further appearances. The major characters I mentioned received roles in games one after another, especially starting from the GameCube era, so if the pattern is adhered to, Sprixie Princess is not considered essential since they missed out on most Mario spin-offs, especially Mario Kart.

ZelenPixel said:
pauline has been existing since the very first game, but smo gave her some attention and i hope she sticks around and starts being playable in spinoffs. as well as cappy please

Yes, it's a huge surprise that Pauline had a huge comeback, and hopefully it sticks. I won't say that Mario vs. Donkey Kong was wholly unsuccessful in bringing Pauline back, but her appearances in those games didn't leave much of an impression, though it did retain Pauline's design from those games (that started in the GB Donkey Kong game). I have a good feeling on this one, especially if the next Mario spin-off puts her in.

BBQ Turtle said:
I don't think Cappy's going to hang around, I think he'll probably just follow F.L.U.D.D. and Perry, only appear majorly in one game and get a few references later on. He seems about the same kind of thing.

I don't think there are any more characters that are quite as main as Rosalina that appeared after her, but talking about the sort of second tier of Mario main characters, Nabbit definitely seems to be there, and Pom Pom seems to be appearing more now that Boom Boom has come back a little more frequently.

That's a good point about Cappy, since his existence is heavily tied to Mario's new ability in Odyssey (capturing things). It's difficult to say for sure if Cappy is here to stay since it's less than a year since his debut game was release, and that game is a heavily lauded one and a best-selling one. F.L.U.D.D. and Perry are from games that are far less popular, so in hindsight it's easy to understand why they don't appear often. So far it's not looking to be the case since Mario Tennis Aces is probably not going to have him in, but we shall see if the next Mario Kart game includes him.

Thank you for reading.

I was guessing that Nabbit would appear in spinoffs after Mario Golf: World Tour, but yeah, he missed out on Mario Kart 8, and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Aces. He appeared at least in M&S Rio 2016 and Mario Party 10 (though not playable, and only in Bowser Party).

Now I should be expecting Pauline to appear in more games, after she reintroduced herself THREE times (DK '94, Mario vs DK, and Super Mario Odyssey).

I'm also thinking the same with the Koopalings, after bringing them back in NSMBW and NSMBU, and eventually made them playable in MK8. Followed by their major appearances in the Mario & Luigi series and Paper Mario: Colour Splash.
Same thing with Boom Boom, after 3D Land, NSMBU, 3D World, Mario Run, Puzzles & Dragons, and even appeared (for the first time in a spinoff sports game) in Mario Tennis Aces.

Nabbit kinda bothered me at first. He began as a prankster and made the shortest time to become a playable SM character, which is super OP that even Rosalina had to took two Galaxy games and sort time to be a SM player. I cannot say I'm a loyal Waluigi fan but this could really have been his chance to enter SM games as a random prankster instead.

But overall I still like Nabbit as a character, as well as Sprixies, just hope that we may see them in more games and see more of their personalities. Aside from spinoffs, it'd be nice to have Nabbit keep his thief role in more Mario 3D platformers.

My headcanon also think Nabbit and Sprixies also fit in Captain Toad titles as they're all mascot-type characters. Perhaps they don't have to return to the next NSMB game but a Captain Toad sequel instead. It'd be cute to see them playable alongside with Toad and Toadette.

As for the non-SM games, it should note that after Wii the Paper series have removed the partner thing so there's no more chance to make another exteremly popular RPG character (Geno-wise) happen again. Kerstie and Huey not counting.

For the new babies and Metal Peach, even Peachette, it does feel like Nintendo intentionally avoid creating more original characters so they make such kind of clone identities to expand the roster. Although, for spinoffs, honestly it sucks to not see Dixie/Pauline/EGadd's time finallly come.

It's unfortunately only personally, not in terms of number of appearances, but I personally consider Dark Star/Dark Bowser, Midbus, Dreambert, Antasma, and Huey notable debuts since then. And I'm reminded that Super Paper Mario came out before Super Mario Galaxy, so Huey is the only notable Paper Mario character newer than Rosalina. That makes me sad, but what else is new. Also funny is that objectively speaking the most notable addition on the RPG side since then is Starlow but I'm incredibly meh about her so lol.

In terms of main series (staple) characters, Nabbit and Pom Pom stuck around a bit but personally I think the returning ones like Pauline take the cake even if not technically new. We still don't know if Cappy will be a staple but if so, he's the most notable one to me as the other brand-new characters haven't been all that impressive imo. Sprixies too, but what did they get into after debut, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and only the green one? Then just poof. Granted two appearances is huge when I'm thinking in the context of the RPGs but not so much other games. The Sprixies are cute though so I'd be down for them to appear more. Looks like Nintendo is trying to forget 3D World though what with retconning all connections out of Captain Toad.

Dorayaki said:
so there's no more chance to make another exteremly popular RPG character (Geno-wise) happen again.
Sure there is, the M&L series is still alive and kicking.

Back