• Meh

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Interesting

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • WTF

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters
Cheeze said:
MatPat is making money spouting out stupid BS, which that in itself is BS. Here I am working my tail off for a company that doesn't give a crap about its employees, giving us little pay for our hard work (not to mention, we always deal with awful customers) while Mat makes money off of his stupid theories. I know there's an idiot on GameFAQs calling people jealous of Mat and I'm sure he'll think the same if he sees this thread, but I'm not jealous. It just irks me that someone can make a lot of money coming up with these stupid theories while real workers don't get as much recognition. It's ridiculous. That should never happen and it just goes to show that this world is going to hell in a hand-basket and there's seemingly no way out.

Cheeze said:
MatPat is making money spouting out stupid BS, which that in itself is BS. Here I am working my tail off for a company that doesn't give a crap about its employees, giving us little pay for our hard work (not to mention, we always deal with awful customers) while Mat makes money off of his stupid theories.
This is going to get into some serious talk, so warning you.

Mat isn't alone. There's no reason to single him out when there are far more insidious people on the Internet spreading false or misleading information that can harm people. Popular alt-right/far-right Youtubers are a prime example. Sargon of Akkad nor Black Pigeon Speaks don't read the studies they cite to promote false potentially harmful information such as claiming that sexual harassment statistics are overblown (and implying we shouldn't do much or as much as authorities are saying) or calling to suspend "social justice courses" rather than engaging. These people earn no small amount from donations and Patreon. There's also Jordan Peterson botching biology and gaining a following and tons of money on MGTOW for expressing arguably sexist and outdated views like women should think about children by the time they are in their mid 20s or else there is something wrong with them or that women shouldn't be pursuing career. And of course there's Alex Jones of Infowars who actively harms people by saying major school shootings are false flag conspiracies, that the people and children involved are only "crisis actors", and inviting his viewers to viciously harass and attack survivors or families of victims. All these people are arguably worse than Mat and they spout equally insane and baseless claims.

Yes you do appear jealous despite your denials, but there are also people who make money through various other means such as reviews and simply playing video games and expressing charisma that entices viewers to see more. You do appear jealous to me and you don't seem to be picking the correct battle. Again, there's no reason to single out Mat for this. You can apply this criticism to CinemaSins or WatchMojo or frankly every other sort of low-quality clickbait. There's not much you can do about it except don't let them spoil your life. You can control how much these things affect you, so take advantage of that.

If I had known I could make a living making stupid faces and yelling loudly while playing video games I would have done it years ago.

Cheeze said:
MatPat is making money spouting out stupid BS, which that in itself is BS. Here I am working my tail off for a company that doesn't give a crap about its employees, giving us little pay for our hard work (not to mention, we always deal with awful customers) while Mat makes money off of his stupid theories. I know there's an idiot on GameFAQs calling people jealous of Mat and I'm sure he'll think the same if he sees this thread, but I'm not jealous. It just irks me that someone can make a lot of money coming up with these stupid theories while real workers don't get as much recognition. It's ridiculous. That should never happen and it just goes to show that this world is going to hell in a hand-basket and there's seemingly no way out.

You definitely sound jealous. You're spending your time making a bitter rant about it, at least.

I'm no fan of Mat's theories, either, and I think they're hardly entertaining, but I wouldn't start suggesting that he doesn't deserve to earn money just because they're not to my taste.

If you're so resentful of your job, maybe you should look into other places to work? Heck, maybe you could study up on YouTube metric. If you don't like the content that other content creators are making, make the content you'd like to see more of; if it's a good idea, it'll catch on.

Cheeze said:
His theories may be stupid, but I'm sure he's worked hard to get as popular as he is now. Besides, some of his older theories aren't that bad.

Cheeze said:
Coming up with theories is hard work! Harder than dealing with miserable customers every day!

/s
I'm not necessarily saying that a Youtuber's job is just as hard as your job, but the entertainment industry is a whole different beast than your job. Also, it's not just coming up with theories; it's recording, editing, research, and everything else needed to be a Youtuber. Furthermore, it's not like everybody who makes theory videos succeed. Only a small minority actually become popular enough to have it be their full-time job.

Cheeze said:
Coming up with theories is hard work! Harder than dealing with miserable customers every day!

/s

Mat purposely uses the YouTube metric to his advantage. He's done a lot of research into how it works and he's applied it to his time as a YouTuber.

People who watch his videos aren't giving him money for the theories themselves; they're giving him money for the video. And Mat isn't the only one who's being paid for these videos, either. Mat has a full team of people who work on them, from script-writing to editing, and Mat himself provides the recordings and his voice. Mat manages this team and thus he gets a slice of that pay.

As Czario said, it's how the entertainment industry works. It may look easy and simple from the surface, but it does actually take a lot of work to edit a video as professionally as Mat's team does. In addition, they're doing it on a regular schedule and uploading it at certain times, meaning they have to work for quite some time on it. Having edited videos myself, and doing it poorly might I add, that alone can take at least six hours on a good day, let alone videos as densely packed as Mat's.

Again, it's fine not to like his videos, pretty much none of us here do either. None of us subscribe to his theories. But the idea that it takes no work to make them is a falsehood. If nothing else, Mat's really good at organization, scheduling, and working with YouTube's confines to make sure he maximizes video output to get the most amount of views he can. If anything, his videos have likely suffered due to him trying to work with YouTube's metric, not inherently because he's bad at making videos. (Especially since some people can agree that his earlier theories aren't as bad as his newer ones, back when he wasn't on this strict schedule he's on now.)

If anything sucks especially it's YouTube for promoting content like his in the way that it does. YouTube has been the bane of a lot of YouTubers' existence; several great animators and other content creators get screwed over simply because the metric doesn't like them.

This is really uncalled for. What's sad is this is probobaly going to be the biggest selling point of the game.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Cheeze said:

/s

Uh yeah, in like actual scientific fields, it most certainly is.

to be fair, theories in scientific fields aren't even on the same plane as what matpat is doing

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Cheeze said:

/s

Uh yeah, in like actual scientific fields, it most certainly is.

to be fair, theories in scientific fields aren't even on the same plane as what matpat is doing

The initial statement was pretty open though :P

WeirdDave13 said:
This is really uncalled for. What's sad is this is probobaly going to be the biggest selling point of the game.
For most people, the main selling point is going to be the portability of the Switch (and for those without a Wii U, to play the game at all). However, this thing has "deluxe" tacked onto the end, so it has to live up to its name. It's adding new characters, and hopefully there's more content to come that's yet to be announced.

I personally am looking forward to this because I have big dreams and am expecting this to be as good as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for some reason.

WeirdDave13 said:

i don't think people will buy this game just to make toadette turn into peach.

if this is anything to go by, the trend will just remain on the internet.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
WeirdDave13 said:

i don't think people will buy this game just to make toadette turn into peach.

if this is anything to go by, the trend will just remain on the internet.

Seems like a good enough reason to me (or at least a better reason than 3-ish-hour portability).

Don't judge me​

How about we all shut up and get back on topic?

Now, the whole Super Crown craze seems like it's beginning to fizzle out as a whole, judging by KYM's image gallery (both recent and trending).

I would put up a picture but I'm afraid it might be against this forum's guidelines. Not like you can't just go there anyways and see for yourself.

Crow T. Robot said:
How about we all shut up and get back on topic?

the whole Super Crown craze seems like it's beginning to fizzle out as a whole
that's why we're going off topic :luigi:

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Just let this thread die so we don't have to be reminded by every post that Peachette exists
Expected to forget about Peachette?

T̲̩̗̬̯ͤ͊̓͊ͯ̚o̙͈̤͆͛͊̀o̷͔̮͈͙̙͕̮ ̗̰̺̭̿b̥̬̱̫͔̦a̲͔͕͚͙̎ͩ̀d͙̐ͯ̊̽.̝̃̅̔̑͋ ̦̩̭͊W͉̬͍a̱͇͓̜͎̔ͧ͢l͇̥͔͈̻̣̟͟ụ̌ͨ̌ͭ͛i̥͇͗̔̌̾ͮ̈ͣg̪̱͉̣̬͌ͭ͊̏ĕ͓̻̭̓̍͌ͪ̕t̙͖̪̣͌t̤è̟͇̥͚̅͆̀͢ ̲ͦͫͫ̂́̇t͓̗̫̜̗̓̐͆͋̈͝i̭͇͚ͤ̏̾̐͑mͧ̌͆́̚eͬ̌͗ͬ͏̦̺̦.̶̘͓̰̭ͮ̇ͥͪͯ͊̄

sorry not sorry :evilgrin: :waluigi:

No one will forget that Peachette exists.

ShE's EvErYwHeRe!

*Que evil laugh*

I actually saw the most insulting thing. I was on one of those wikias, and they have those clickbait articles at the bottom, you know? One of them was headlined "Mario Fans are Freaking Out About Bowsette."
As a Mario fan, I was insulted. Unless they meant freaking out in a bad way. Because that's true.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Just let this thread die so we don't have to be reminded by every post that Peachette exists

Me looking for Peachette fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZurS1L3cV48

Actually is it ok to like Peachette because it's stupid af?

Because that's me! That's my original opinion on this whole thing and look at what it degenerated into!

YoshiSan said:
*Que evil laugh*

I actually saw the most insulting thing. I was on one of those wikias, and they have those clickbait articles at the bottom, you know? One of them was headlined "Mario Fans are Freaking Out About Bowsette."
As a Mario fan, I was insulted. Unless they meant freaking out in a bad way. Because that's true.

I'm pretty sure they just mean that Bowsette completely blew up, may it be a meme or culture or a goddess everyone suddenly decided to worship all of a sudden. Don't feel offended, it's highly divided and I think pretty much everyone knows that:

Lad, I love Peachette, its so cool! I don't get how you could complain about a new Mario character.

Back