Mario & Luigi series discussion

This Tumblr blog has been posting hidden artwork and unused stuff for M&L games, mostly Bowser's Inside Story. It's fascinating how much of this has been under the radar for so long, but apparently a lot of the enemies have official artwork, as well as Dark Fawful and Blizzard Midbus, though they are all rather small and scanned from a guide. I've ordered this guide myself to look at as well. Also there's unused sprites such as the spoilered one below of Fawful being electrocuted.

Z7tQtpE.gif

Johnny Five said:
This Tumblr blog has been posting hidden artwork and unused stuff for M&L games, mostly Bowser's Inside Story. It's fascinating how much of this has been under the radar for so long, but apparently a lot of the enemies have official artwork, as well as Dark Fawful and Blizzard Midbus, though they are all rather small and scanned from a guide. I've ordered this guide myself to look at as well. Also there's unused sprites such as the spoilered one below of Fawful being electrocuted.

Z7tQtpE.gif

Maybe Thunderhand was going to be in the game at one point?

I can't believe how much I love Firebrand and Thunderhand. Wish they would return in a new game.

I'd like to see more fire and lightning in general. It's a shame they didn't develop on this concept, maybe having different types of fire and electricity.

Yes, I think it was cool that Luigi was bestowed with the powers of "Thundah!", as that is something that differentiates himself further from Mario. I don't think electricity comes up again as Luigi's ability ever again after this game, though.

Thank you for reading.

Well, it's not an ability, but Mr. L calls himself "The Green Thunder" despite the only electricity he uses is the electricity for his Brobot. That is, if Brobot runs on electricity. I assume so.

As for it returning to this series, it would be nice to see. I mean, fire was in every single one. Although, the fire isn't used in the overworld and it's entirely different. Those two added more things to do, but at the same time, added slots to go through. This is even more seen in the remake. I am glad they decided to give an option to easily go from one thing to another, even if it means not looking at the map, which is very good to have up even though I played the game and know how to navigate around and is improved from the original.

Speaking of the map, I hope the BIS remake lets you see it on whatever screen isn't active, even when playing as Bowser or inside him. The trigger for switching is A/B or X/Y anyway, and the inactive character can still be visible in the corner to take over when they're active again. Wouldn't take away from the experience and would make it a hell of a lot more convenient.

winstein said:
Yes, I think it was cool that Luigi was bestowed with the powers of "Thundah!", as that is something that differentiates himself further from Mario. I don't think electricity comes up again as Luigi's ability ever again after this game, though.

Thank you for reading.
MSC_Luigi%27s_Mega_Strike_in_action.png

check out mah jersey!
LUIGI_Smash_Football_Left.png

I like to shove her into a cannon and blast her into a wall.

Kirby of the Stars said:
winstein said:
Speaking of Mario & Luigi, I am surprised that there's no mention of Jojora so far. I guess that one's a forgotten subject?
We do not speak of Jojora.

Oh, I see. It's just amusing to see that the you, the topic creator doesn't bring up Jojora in the series that introduced said character, even though you sometimes expressed contempt with her. So when you did not bring it up, I presume you got over that.

Thank you for reading.

229px-LuigiSSS.png
MnL2_BabyLuigi.png

Why DOES he have (more like had) striped socks anyway? And BL's striped socks aren't even consistent with him, being absent in an artwork piece and not even being in his sprite at all.

I'm that person who prefers Luigi without the striped socks, and I'm also glad they god rid of the allergy nose that was prevalent in the first game. I suppose the socks are supposed to add a goofy, childish flair to Luigi, who acts this way constantly in the Mario & Luigi games, but I think Mario and Luigi are already, well, goofy and childish, so it doesn't add that much to Luigi's personality.

I think it was the post pointless design change they've done. I understand removing the red noses, I understand making the M and L red and green, but I think something quirky like the socks is a cute detail that doesn't take away from anything and should've stuck around and maybe even picked up by other games, not get removed to conform to the rest of the series that uses different art styles. It's like suddenly giving Paper Mario legs and eyebrows just for 'consistency' imo.

But Paper Mario HAD legs...

PM_Mario.gif

eyebrows, IMO, might be an improvement because eyebrows really are the most expressive parts of the face.

tbh I think I prefer white short socks Baby Luigi than long striped socks. It just doesn't mesh well with his design, it's actually rather gaudy and distracting.

Princess Mario said:
But Paper Mario HAD legs...

PM_Mario.gif

eyebrows, IMO, might be an improvement because eyebrows really are the most expressive parts of the face.
I almost mentioned that but I didn't want to digress too much. Paper Mario didn't have a finalized design then as it was still just getting started. Starting with TTYD he's never had legs, and even his sprite in PM64 didn't have them either. I strongly disagree that he should have eyebrows too, since Paper Mario's art style benefits from not trying to cram in every detail and be simple. The extent that eyebrows appear on him (when he's making an expression such as anger) is quite enough, seeing idle Paper Mario with eyebrows is just disturbing.

IDK about Baby Luigi, but they don't have to give him exactly every piece of clothing adult Luigi wears. I sure as hell didn't wear the same clothes I do now when I was a baby. I wonder if Luigi's striped socks will at least still appear in the BIS remake on his sprite when he trips and his shoe falls off when he first enters Peach's Castle. I'd hope they aren't going that far to eliminate the detail.

(unrelated note: I'm kind of amused that this topic has been brought up in here now, because I was literally thinking about it as I got out of bed before I got online for some reason)

To be honest I like Paper Mario either way, I just have a slight preference when he has those legs though, and his arms don't feel like they're just pinned onto his body. I *think* his sprite had the legs, it's just not as apparent.

Paper_Mario_Badge_0x0101_Effect.gif
PM_Mariothininking.PNG

Johnny Five said:
IDK about Baby Luigi, but they don't have to give him exactly every piece of clothing adult Luigi wears. I sure as hell didn't wear the same clothes I do now when I was a baby..

They do that because they wanted to retain the familiar Luigi aspect of Baby Luigi while babyfying other things like the lack of gloves and the shorter pants and giving him green sneakers instead of brown workshoes. Whatever they gave to Luigi, they gave to Baby Luigi, so that includes the striped socks and yeah, even the Super Mario-Kun pokes fun at how Baby Luigi would act identical to Luigi in these situations (Luigi goes surrendering in one panel, and then later on Baby Luigi does the exact thing).

Johnny Five said:
(unrelated note: I'm kind of amused that this topic has been brought up in here now, because I was literally thinking about it as I got out of bed before I got online for some reason)

Great minds think alike, дружище

I think the next Mario & Luigi games should allow Mario and Luigi to switch. There's also amusing scenarios where when you separate them, and you pause the game and try equipping stats or whatever, you see the character's face or the a guy holding a card of his brother. Did the Superstar Saga remake keep that?

By the way, the inside of Mario's house in the remake is a ton better and also makes the remake slightly less pointless. Shame that there aren't any orbs or dice blocks but oh well. Is that Mario's cape on the clothes hanger?

yxkILRX.png

old house
MALSS_Marioshouse_inside.png

Princess Mario said:
I think the next Mario & Luigi games should allow Mario and Luigi to switch. There's also amusing scenarios where when you separate them, and you pause the game and try equipping stats or whatever, you see the character's face or the a guy holding a card of his brother. Did the Superstar Saga remake keep that?

By the way, the inside of Mario's house in the remake is a ton better and also makes the remake slightly less pointless. Shame that there aren't any orbs or dice blocks but oh well. Is that Mario's cape on the clothes hanger?

yxkILRX.png

old house
MALSS_Marioshouse_inside.png

Yes please. Luigi is better than Mario anyway.

I want power-ups to appear in some form in an M&L game. I don't know how they'd fit, but seeing that cape reminded me.

well the fireballs are already a special move so they'd probably just do it like that.

i'm surprised they managed to add more little detail and nods to a location that you'll never revisit in the game.

I know, right? Seems almost a waste. I love the tennis racket, the golf club, the trophy, the Wii Wheel, and the nod to Builder Mario, and there's a Shroob in this one too.

Speaking of which, why is there a Shroob picture???? Partners in Time, did it take place before this?

Princess Mario said:
I know, right? Seems almost a waste. I love the tennis racket, the golf club, the trophy, the Wii Wheel, and the nod to Builder Mario, and there's a Shroob in this one too.

Speaking of which, why is there a Shroob picture???? Partners in Time, did it take place before this?
It takes place 26 years prior...kind of.

Back